PDA

View Full Version : Steaks

David
06-19-2006, 06:04 AM
How do these rate as far as protein quality goes?

And also, how much protein are in one 10 oz beef ribeye steak? (It doesnt mention it on the package).

I recently bought a box of 8 10oz steaks at GFS for $51, at more than $6 per steak I'm wondering if it's a good investment. I plan on eating one of these every other day, so thats over $100 a month.

They are 10oz but does that include the weight of the fat or no?

KingWilder
06-19-2006, 06:15 AM
10oz includes the entire weight of the steak

look it up on www.fitday.com , I KNOW steak is on there (protein in a 10oz will be over 50g)

if you can afford to pay that much for steak than go for it, I prefer to buy lean cuts from the grocery store which usually end up being way less

Clifford Gillmore
06-19-2006, 06:28 AM
They are 10oz but does that include the weight of the fat or no?

You cannot detach the fat from a steak, weigh it, and re-attach it. Yes it inclues the yummy essential fat. :)

David
06-19-2006, 06:55 AM
You guys cut the fat off before or after grilling/broiling? Would leaving it on give the steak a better taste?

Coqui
06-19-2006, 07:00 AM
You guys cut the fat off before or after grilling/broiling? Would leaving it on give the steak a better taste?

Fat always tastes better. Fat also leads to higher cholesterol levels.

Little bit of salt and pepper and you should be fine with your steaks without the fat.

KingWilder
06-19-2006, 09:18 AM
As long as your TOTAL fat is around .5g per lb LBM there is no need to worry about your cholesterol (unless of course you are at risk due to heredity)

bics56
06-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Thats over $10/lb...not a good price at all for ribeye. That is my Fav steak though and love them. I say find a better deal and eat up

David
06-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Well, I have also been eating beef filet of sirloin steaks. I get them at GFS - 16 5 oz steaks for like $24. What is the difference between the two steaks? Just taste? I eat two of these at a time because one just doesn't fill me up.

Jabberwocky
06-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Ribeye is a fatty cut of meat, tastes great, but fatty none the less. If you are cutting go with the sirloin, if you are bulking go with the ribeye.

RedSpikeyThing
06-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Fat also leads to higher cholesterol

Not entirely true. Fat leads to higher chlesterol if you already have a cholesterol problem...much like sodium increases blood pressure only if you have hypertension/other blood pressure problem.

BigCorey75
06-19-2006, 01:56 PM
leave the fat on the steak while you cook it, and then trim the excess fat off after its done, the marble fat is essential for flovor and juicyness and from what ive heard isnt all that bad plus alot of it turns into gelatin and cooks out, but the huge amounts of visible fat on the edge, just trim it off, that what i do, and steak remains tasty.

i understand were all trying to be healthy, but its downright blasphemy to cut the excess fat off a steak before cooking.

rule of thumb grill with fat on, then trim off

Saint Patrick
06-19-2006, 02:02 PM
:withstupi

What he said.