PDA

View Full Version : Diet help needed badly :(

Coqui
06-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Ok I know the standards for an actual diet. I'm currently in a cutting mode. I know that I'm supposed to consume approx 500 calories less than I burn.

However, here's the situation. Through 6 months of trial and error, I've noticed I can only lose fat when I enter a starvation mode. My BMR states I should be consuming 2500 Calories a day. If I were to do that, my weight would increase by approximately 2 pounds per day and I don't need a BF% reading to tell I'm gaining a lot of fat.

When I drop it down to 1800 calories, I maintain weight (occasionally still a slight gain)

However when I drop down to 1200-1400 Calories, fat sheds off my body and it doesn't seem to affect muscle mass (i.e. I'm still as big as I normally am, and I still experience gains on all my lifts)

My question is, should I just maintain the 1200-1400 Calories until I'm done cutting or is there something I can do to experience fat loss while upping my calories?

KingWilder
06-19-2006, 10:08 AM
However when I drop down to 1200-1400 Calories, fat sheds off my body and it doesn't seem to affect muscle mass (i.e. I'm still as big as I normally am, and I still experience gains on all my lifts)

if this is really true, than I think you've answered your own question

....if you want to up your cals slightly and still lose some weight then throw in a few sessions of HIIT if you aren't already doing so

Coqui
06-19-2006, 10:55 AM
if this is really true, than I think you've answered your own question

....if you want to up your cals slightly and still lose some weight then throw in a few sessions of HIIT if you aren't already doing so

Yeah I guess. It's just after hearing so much (and hell let's face it telling people) that they aren't eating enough, I was just wondering what was wrong with me that the same advice didn't work for me.

Another question about thermogenics. From another forum, it was pretty much beat into our heads that if it isn't an ECA stack, there's really no point in actually taking it. I was looking at the Fat Loss stack provided by AtLarge. I was hoping a certified nutritionist or the like would be able to shed some light on how effective it is or should I not even bother taking the supplements (currently on whole foods only) The person who told me about the ECA stack wasn't certified, but he did compete (bodybuilding not powerlifting)

KingWilder
06-19-2006, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't worry about using a thermogenic until you feel like you can't possibly do anymore with diet/HIIT. When you come to a plateau and you know you need help, then maybe conisder a thermo.

ECA stack is probably the best as far as results/price go

if you think you want to use it you might want to go to the supplement forum and click the Ephedrine HCL thread and order it asap because stores/sites are starting to discontinue sales of the product due to new legislation from our WONDERFUL (/sarcasm) government

Built
06-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Ok I know the standards for an actual diet. I'm currently in a cutting mode. I know that I'm supposed to consume approx 500 calories less than I burn.

Umů supposed to? No. You just need to eat less than you expend. I usually suggest 10-20% reduction in calories. If this is 500 calories for you, great. Cutting link in my sig goes into more detail.

However, here's the situation. Through 6 months of trial and error, I've noticed I can only lose fat when I enter a starvation mode. My BMR states I should be consuming 2500 Calories a day.
Don't go by calculations - go by direct measurement. Track on fitday so you can learn YOUR maint cals.

If I were to do that, my weight would increase by approximately 2 pounds per day and I don't need a BF% reading to tell I'm gaining a lot of fat.

Sorry. You're confused.

To gain 2 lbs a day, you'd have to be consuming 7000 calories a day OVER MAINTENANCE.

When I drop it down to 1800 calories, I maintain weight (occasionally still a slight gain)
What do you weigh?

My question is, should I just maintain the 1200-1400 Calories until I'm done cutting or is there something I can do to experience fat loss while upping my calories?

Unless you're a 120-lb chick, I'd strongly suggest getting your thyroid checked. I've been cutting on 2000 cals a day, just stalling now and getting set to drop another 100-200 off my days.

Coqui
06-19-2006, 11:20 AM
To gain 2 lbs a day, you'd have to be consuming 7000 calories a day OVER MAINTENANCE.

What do you weigh?

Unless you're a 120-lb chick, I'd strongly suggest getting your thyroid checked. I've been cutting on 2000 cals a day, just stalling now and getting set to drop another 100-200 off my days.

Just going by what the scale says. However the softness becomes visible on my abdomen as well.

Current weight is 197.

Sadly that's what I was thinking might be an issue. (thyroid) Yes I am male *checks pants* yep.

Built
06-19-2006, 11:22 AM
If that's what your scale says, I'm afraid you have a magic scale that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

Glad to hear you're a boy.

Regarding the low cals - go get your thyroid checked. This is NOT normal. And not your fault.

Coqui
06-19-2006, 11:28 AM
If that's what your scale says, I'm afraid you have a magic scale that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

Haha maybe. That same scale told me I weighted 194 on Friday