PDA

View Full Version : Surcose at the cost of sucrose

arya202
06-19-2006, 05:38 PM
REcently I've read (around here) how important it is to get sucrose after a workout, but I also hear it's important NOT to have fructose after a workout.

What if my get my sucrose in the form of sugar which also has fructose?

What's more important having sucrose or not having fructose?

Slim Schaedle
06-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Where did you read it is important to get sucrose?

Do you mean glucose (dextrose)?

Also sucrose is glucose and fructose.

arya202
06-19-2006, 06:01 PM
OH yeah my bad, everytime I said sucrose in that post replace it with glucose.

Slim Schaedle
06-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Just buy some dextrose from supplementdirect.com or somewhere.

There's no need for fructose (ever) and it is worth the small hassle to just order some dex.

TheGimp
06-20-2006, 02:12 AM
A small amount of fructose post workout is OK to top up hepatic glycogen levels.

It is my understanding that the best time to consume fructose (if you're going to at all) is for breakfast when hepatic glycogen levels are very much depleted after sleep.

Coqui
06-20-2006, 07:52 AM
If I remember correctly, the only reason why fructose isn't recommended for Post workout is because it takes too long to get to your blood stream (processing through the liver) am I right?

TheGimp
06-20-2006, 08:07 AM
If I remember correctly, the only reason why fructose isn't recommended for Post workout is because it takes too long to get to your blood stream (processing through the liver) am I right?

Fructose will only refill hepatic glycogen levels; once these are full, it spills over into fat stores. As the purpose of taking carbs post workout is to refill muscle glycogen, fructose is useless in this respect.

Mercuryblade
06-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Crap, then I need to change what I add to my post workout shakes. Now I need to find a way to make nitrean taste good again.

Slim Schaedle
06-20-2006, 07:56 PM
A small amount of fructose post workout is OK to top up hepatic glycogen levels.

It is my understanding that the best time to consume fructose (if you're going to at all) is for breakfast when hepatic glycogen levels are very much depleted after sleep.
If using dextrose post workout(with fructose), the glucose will fill the void before the fructose (which has a relatively slow conversion rate to glucose) does.

Same goes for the morning. Although this will depend on breakfast carb sources and their rate of coversion to glucose compared to a particular sample of frucose eaten at the same time.

Any way you look at it, glucose is superior. Although as you said, fructose can be an option.

TheGimp
06-20-2006, 11:23 PM
If using dextrose post workout(with fructose), the glucose will fill the void before the fructose (which has a relatively slow conversion rate to glucose) does.

Thanks for clearing that up. That was something I was never quite sure about.

Optimum08
06-22-2006, 11:02 AM

Same goes for the morning. Although this will depend on breakfast carb sources and their rate of coversion to glucose compared to a particular sample of frucose eaten at the same time.

Any way you look at it, glucose is superior. Although as you said, fructose can be an option.

:withstupi