PDA

View Full Version : Post Workout Shake

AlexAllen
06-19-2006, 08:14 PM
I just got some dex and want to make sure I am using it right.
I started drinking a liter or so of water with about 30-40 g of dex during my workout and that is working fine.

Here is my post workout shake:
2-3 cups of whole milk
2 scoops nitrean (40-50 g protein)
80 g dextrose
1-2 tablespoons peanut butter

Lots of calories, tastes good.
I am wondering if the dextrose will still be absorbed quickly like it is supposed to be with this extra stuff in there or if everything will be absorbed more slowly. Would it be better to do the same amount of dex and protein in just water?
Thanks for the help.

TheGimp
06-20-2006, 02:15 AM
If that is your postworkout shake then I would make sure you are having a preworkout meal also. Both the fat content of the whole milk and the peanutbutter, and the casein content of the milk and nitrean will serve to delay gastric emptying causing the meal to be digested over a period of time.

Progress
06-20-2006, 06:51 AM
I'd use skim milk and not include peanut butter if I'm consuming that directly after WO. Now if that was a post workout meal, I'd take out the dex.

AlexAllen
06-20-2006, 10:31 AM
So would 80 g dex, 40 g protein (in the form of nitrean) in water directly after workout be better? Then maybe an hour or so later do the big shake I posted minus the dex?

Jordanbcool
06-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Personally I'd just ditch the peanut butter.

Progress
06-20-2006, 12:35 PM
So would 80 g dex, 40 g protein (in the form of nitrean) in water directly after workout be better? Then maybe an hour or so later do the big shake I posted minus the dex?

OR you could do what I do and just have dex and whey as post workout shake and then have dinner an ~hour after that.

Holto
06-20-2006, 04:17 PM
OR you could do what I do and just have dex and whey as post workout shake and then have dinner an ~hour after that.

This is good logic.

You have a ~2hr window of increased cellular sensitivity and it's difficult to do two solid meals in this timeframe.