PDA

View Full Version : Me Deadlifting

d'Anconia
06-19-2006, 09:50 PM
A video of me doing two sets of deadlifting, in that particular order. 1st set is 395lbs and 2nd set is 405lbs. I'm not that familiar with form so critiques are welcome, it's my first time seeing myself deadlift from the side and back.

You will notice that I force my hips down right before I go up but sometimes I'm not happy or ready for the next rep so I do it a few times (especially last reps).

Also toward the end it looks like I'm ending up on my toes a little bit... maybe I'm not planting and pushing back enough?

I sometimes take a while between reps because I like to make sure I start off correctly, I've screwed up my back badly before (a month ago or so) and don't want it to happen again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSmJnfY-bzM

Hockey66
06-19-2006, 10:13 PM
It looks like you are rounding your lower back slightly to me. Try to keep your lower back arched, rounding of the shoulders is alright (some powerlifters even reccommend it).

To be honest, I didn't believe some of your lifts after seeing your pictures. Way to prove my ass wrong. :thumbup:

KevinStarke
06-19-2006, 10:20 PM
lower back looks a tad rounded but strong pulling man. I'm no conventional expert though maybe someone else can offer more critique.

Jinkies
06-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Its difficult to maintain form when you are repping it like you, just takes too much work to get in perfect position when you can pick it up. Bring the weight closer to you and think of it as a part of you and just stand up and lock it out.

If your shins arent bleeding like crazy after a deadlift workout your not doing it right, ive already ruined my model carrer :)

d'Anconia
06-19-2006, 10:27 PM
So should I arch it a bit more when I first start at the bottom to keep it from rounding? That's one of the reasons that I try to get my hips low but perhaps they aren't low enough (they're hard to keep in that postition to be honest).

Hockey66 ya know, for some reason I keep getting these "you don't look 200+lbs" and "for your size I didn't know you could lift that much", and I'm not exactly sure why. It's hard for me to relate to what other people think I can or can not lift because, obviously, I know what I can and can't do. BTW what do you mean by "rounding of the shoulders"?

Edit: Jinkies, I'll try bringing it in closer. Maybe I'll be able to start a little less bent-over that way also.

Tofer
06-19-2006, 10:30 PM
I think you may be bending forward just a little bit too much. Keep the bar closer to your body and push your ass back a bit more. There's also a slight hitch in your back (it curves forward which can lead to injury). Try to keep it straighter. What might help is to think about keeping the bar still and only move your legs as you lower it to the ground, rather than leaning forward and moving your arms. Your arms shouldn't be moving at all and the bar should be right up against your legs (this is why powerlifters sometimes chalk up their legs for deadlifts). So basically, you want to keep your arms still with your legs and ass doing all the work. I think the best way to accomplish this is to look up while you're doing the exercise. Focus your eyes on a spot on the ceiling or wall. This will help keep your back straight the whole time until you get used to it.

This video is a bit like what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdas4iqerv4&search=deadlift

Edit: This may mean that you'll have to lower the weight for a while. I was deadlifting 295 with poor form before, and when I started doing them correctly I couldn't lift anywhere near that much at first.

By the way... did you give the guy beside you **** for doing squats on the Smith machine?

Jinkies
06-19-2006, 10:30 PM
start off ass to floor looking up and pull with your legs, just stand up and lock it out; easier said then done though ( my form is lacking too)

mike831
06-19-2006, 10:42 PM
You should always be looking up. I see your face looking towards the ground when you're lowering the weight. Your feet are moving around too. It should be planted. Maybe you're leaning forward too much so you get up on your toes. I'm pretty sure you're trying to do regular deadlifts, not straight-leg, so you should be lowering your hips too when you lower the weight.

I usually lift the weight up right after the weights touch the floor. It helps me keep my form and it's always the hardest getting the weight off the floor from a standstill.

Hockey66
06-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Hockey66 ya know, for some reason I keep getting these "you don't look 200+lbs" and "for your size I didn't know you could lift that much", and I'm not exactly sure why. It's hard for me to relate to what other people think I can or can not lift because, obviously, I know what I can and can't do. BTW what do you mean by "rounding of the shoulders"?

I didn't mean to insult you, if anything take it as a compliment. You're a strong dude, much stronger than you look. I'm not saying you look small, but I've seen some pretty huge dudes that struggle with weight like that. It's kind of like if Kevin told me he benched 385 I'd probably laugh at him, then he'd crush me with his midgit grip. Anyway, there's so many people that post false stats on the internet that some are hard to believe. More power to you for proving me wrong, and again, take it as a compliment.

By the rounding of the shoulders I mean that many powerlifters recommend rounding the upper back and letting the shoulders hand to reduce ROM, as long as you maintain an arched lower back. I'm not sure if that makes sense, I'll try to find the article later. If you want to search I think its somewhere on EliteFTS or T-Nation.

brian136
06-20-2006, 01:15 AM
strong pulling but with that form its gonna lead to some injury...

try keeping a tight arch in your back through the whole movement... you are pulling way too much with your back at the start of the pull... you should use almost all legs to get the weight off the ground.. and really focus on looking straight forward and dragging the bar on your shins... you dont have to bleed.. just put a pad on the bar.

the arch in your back should not change throughout the rep... same as a squat... your weight will come down but your back will thank you

Stumprrp
06-20-2006, 07:32 AM
great work dude, same with hockey i didnt believe your lifts either, your one strong mofo dude!!

KevinStarke
06-20-2006, 08:38 AM
then he'd crush me with his midgit grip

You son of a bitch...

As to him not using much leg look at my deadlift videos, i barely use any at all and no one seems to say anything? Doing reps with 405 your forms bound to be a little off, his back wasnt rounding that bad. Take alot of air in to your stomach and push it out throughout the whole movement, should help keep your lower back tighter.

MixmasterNash
06-20-2006, 09:30 AM
The bar looks a little too far in front of your shins. You go into an arch reight before the pull but you lose it at the top and bottom of your back as as soon as you pull.

Also, I see no reason to do a set at 395 and then at 405. Just pick a single weight around there.

Tofer
06-20-2006, 11:01 AM
As to him not using much leg look at my deadlift videos, i barely use any at all and no one seems to say anything?
Honestly, I have never tried sumo deadlifts and I'm not even entirely sure what the correct form is on them. I think that applies to a lot of people here. I wouldn't feel right giving advice on something I don't know anything about. From the videos I've seen though, I think you are using your legs/hips a lot more than you think. You don't bend forward very much and you keep your back nice and straight, so from what I have seen of sumo deadlifts, your forms looks really good.

Hockey66
06-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Here's the article if you're interested:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/deadlift_with_style.htm

Paragraph 6.

1r15h
06-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Like a few people have mentioned pull the weight as close to your body as possible starting with shins against the bar, this works for me personally. I guess it makes sense, i know i'd find it hard to lift a 25kg plate off the floor 2 foot infront of me thought straight up my body would me easy. I think it would counter the rocking forward onto your toes also. Nice lifting though mate.

-TIM-
06-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Not bad. As already mentioned, start that bar closer to your body. It seems to be about 4"-6" inches from your shins on blast off. That's too far out.

Very nice lift though. Keep at it.

Bob
06-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Awesome pulling d'Anconia...
No additional critique then what the others have said...
But thought I would give you some props..

BTW.. help that guy in the red shirt squating next to you..

MM
06-20-2006, 07:20 PM
(I say this with all due respect)

Very impressive, you son of a bitch. I'd bitch at you some more about diet, but I probably don't need to. You should be packing on the pounds being able to lift like that. I guess it's the benefit of lifting since highschool, and also natural ability.

Guido
06-21-2006, 08:51 AM
I think most other people have said most of what needs to be said about your form. It is deplorable, and I'd say you must be damn strong to be getting that weight up with such horrible form.

Other than what the others said, the things I see wrong are:

1. You are jerking the weight off the floor. Once you dip your hips, tighten your body gradually and once you feel the resistance of bar fully, begin the lift.

2. Push back through your heels. This will help you keep your weight back and off your toes.

3. Think of the barbell as a counterweight. If you pull back and up, even though it might feel at first like you'll fall backwards, the weight of the bar will counterbalanace your body and will actually be travelling in a more straight path upwards.

4. Use your hips more when locking out the weight. Pretend like you are having sex with the bar once you get it past your knees. It also helps to clench your butt cheeks at the top.

5. Make sure your knees are straight at the top. They didn't look locked out to me.

These comments are in addition to what others said. Seriously, with good form, you could be pulling close to 500 lbs right now. Incorporate what we said, and you will be shortly.

Beast
06-21-2006, 04:25 PM
I agree that you're a lot stronger than you look... you have really impressive lifts, man.

d'Anconia
06-21-2006, 06:33 PM
K thanks guys, I will work quite a bit on my form, probably lighten the weight next back day. Once I think my form might be quite a bit better I'll re-record and upload again.

Thanks a lot for the tips.

Tofer
06-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Before your actual back day, I'd recommend getting the form down by practicing it in the mirror without any weight. When I was learning the correct form this is what really helped me out the most. Any time I went to the bathroom I'd do several practice reps and make sure everything was perfect. Just an idea.

ddegroff
06-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Nice pulling bro!

And this thread helped me too, I think the bar is too far infront of me.

d'Anconia
06-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Before your actual back day, I'd recommend getting the form down by practicing it in the mirror without any weight. When I was learning the correct form this is what really helped me out the most. Any time I went to the bathroom I'd do several practice reps and make sure everything was perfect. Just an idea.

Yeah I'll probably do something like this, regardless I'll work on my form with very light weight. I think if I have to force my butt lower and keep it there to tighten my muscles up before I ascend then I'll have to do a lower rep range because my lower back's endurance is horrible. I think it's because I have a pelvic tilt or something = annoying, my back is always getting fatigued.

SkinnySadMan
06-21-2006, 10:23 PM
So your repping out poundages that most guys aim to shoot for a new 1rm PR. Awesome. :)

mike831
06-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah I'll probably do something like this, regardless I'll work on my form with very light weight. I think if I have to force my butt lower and keep it there to tighten my muscles up before I ascend then I'll have to do a lower rep range because my lower back's endurance is horrible. I think it's because I have a pelvic tilt or something = annoying, my back is always getting fatigued.

I really think your back getting fatigue is from lowering the bar as if you're doing straight-leg deadlifts. If you're doing regular deadlifts, you need to bend down with the bar, as in the hips should be moving downwards when the bar is moving downwards. The video Tofer linked in his message shows what I'm saying you should be doing and shows real good form. Also, try not to pause inbetween your reps and lift from a standstill. You'd probably have better form if you didn't lift each deadlift from a standstill. Try lifting the bar once the plates touch the floor. If you do it this way, I'm sure you'll do more than 6 reps at 395.

To sum it up, my advice is to lower your hips while lowering the bar so your back doesn't get as tired, always look up, and lift the bar once the plates touch the floor. Just stick your butt out when you're in the squat, arch your back, look up, keep the bar close, and lift.

Nosaj
06-22-2006, 05:11 PM
As gratifying as pulling a sh!tload of weight is, I'd take everyone's advice into consideration and adjust your form a little bit. Awesome lifts, just don't think anyone wants to see ya getting hurt, pulling a muscle in your back is bad news. Keep up the good work, and learn to eat dammit, you'd be a beast if you were eating better.

Deadlifter
06-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Your form is not dangerous, but I would strengthen your hamstrings and focus on keeping your chest up, as your hips tend to shoot up at the beginning of the pull.

Nosaj
06-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Your form is not dangerous, but I would strengthen your hamstrings and focus on keeping your chest up, as your hips tend to shoot up at the beginning of the pull.

I've never torn anything personally (mild strain at worst) but I know from experience that the heavier the weight, the less forgiving it becomes. Considering that 400~lbs are being used, form should be on point or chances are against you that an injury will occur.

d'Anconia
06-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I royally screwed up a back muscle ~1.5 months ago so I'll be practicing my form quite a bit. It hurt like hell, couldn't even bench for a couple weeks.