PDA

View Full Version : Hockey

mikey4402
06-19-2006, 10:49 PM
i have been getting into hockey latley and im probley going to play for the universitys team or a league.

anyways, for the members who play hockey, what are some sport specific exercises and drills i can do to get into shape.or any other tips that could help me out.

also :offtopic: but where can i get good cheap ice hockey equipment. i have a few sticks ,skates and gloves but thats about it

thanks much

KingWilder
06-19-2006, 10:54 PM
GO CANES!!

I would recommend squats and deadlifts because a strong lower body is important

obviously do sprints and have your endurance up

work on your forearms/arms to help your puck handling skills

EDIT: check to see if there is a Play It Again Sports store near you for some cheap equipment

mikey4402
06-19-2006, 11:00 PM
GO CANES!!

I would recommend squats and deadlifts because a strong lower body is important

obviously do sprints and have your endurance up

work on your forearms/arms to help your puck handling skills

EDIT: check to see if there is a Play It Again Sports store near you for some cheap equipment
hmmm i dont know if i should take advice from a carolina fan lol jk. was a great playoffs, too bad its over.

thanks for the advice. i already dova good bit of plyro and sprint work and off course squats. im looking more for actually hockey drills that teams would do in practice or whatever.

KingWilder
06-19-2006, 11:08 PM
http://www.jes-soft.com/hockey/plays.html

Hockey66
06-20-2006, 12:53 AM
Lifting wise, just work your whole body like any bodybuilding or powerlifting routine. I'd recommend HIIT because hockey is a lot of start and stop, sprinting is what mostly correlates to it. Obviously work on your skating and puck handling/shooting a lot.

But yeah as KingWilder said, squats and deadlifts are what helped me most on the ice.

Fuzzy
06-20-2006, 05:47 AM
Ah even us weirdos down here in Australia play ice hockey, I love hockey so much!!!

Definitely deadlifts and squats, you want to have explosive leg power.

Doesent hurt to be bigger and heavier in a game like hockey, Im the youngest in the state team, and Im the biggest kid there. As a defender it is my job to crush any little pretty boy winger that comes my way :)

If you want cheap stuff cant beat www.hockeygiant.com, in this country hockey gear aint cheap, hockey giant saved me alot of money.

Anthony
06-20-2006, 06:51 AM
I would personally keep your GPP and SPP separate. If you want to improve your strength and conditioning, lift weights and do HIIT. If you want to improve your hockey skills, practise hockey.

ddegroff
06-20-2006, 07:47 AM
When I played in high school weight lifting made the biggest difference. That really goes without saying.

Specific hockey training would be to work on your forarms and grip strength. To get your foot work faster I would focus on ladder drills. As for sprinting and conditioning, gotta be on the ice for that, IMO.

monotone
06-20-2006, 10:06 AM
from what i took from your post it sounds like you want drills to do on the ice?

Some things you should do on your own to make you more prepared for a formal practice, and a game are really pretty simple. Skate suicides (start on the goal line, sprint to the nearest offside line, and return, then sprint to the center line and return, ect.), Skate russian circles (sprint around faceoff dots) both forward and backward, practice transitioning from forward to backward, and just make sure you are comfortable on your skates in every aspect of the game.

Obviously work on stick handling, shooting, passing as well.

hoser813
06-22-2006, 01:35 PM
I would personally keep your GPP and SPP separate. If you want to improve your strength and conditioning, lift weights and do HIIT. If you want to improve your hockey skills, practise hockey.

But getting stronger and more conditioned is going to help you on the ice. True that lifting weights isnt going to make you a better stick handler but being stronger will help you lay out some bender with his head down and being better conditioned will help you to skate faster and longer.

IrishLifter55
06-22-2006, 03:59 PM
THE MOST IMPORTANT HOCKEY EXERCISE ARE LUNGES. Squats help along with other general leg exercises mixed with a good deal of chest and shoulders. In terms of the training for hockey focus more on the speed and agility aspect along with endurance. For the greatest power in your shots I have found that pushup variations are a good way to get some extra power.

D Breyer
06-22-2006, 08:23 PM
I play hockey for my high school and as a part of our training we get our last hour of our school day devoted to hockey training.

The conditioning coach at our school two years ago is a genious when it comes to hockey training. He left our school and is currently the Washington Capital's trainer (Ovechkin). His site is http://www.overspeed.info and there is some good information on there devoted to training for hockey.

Anthony
06-23-2006, 04:30 AM
But getting stronger and more conditioned is going to help you on the ice. True that lifting weights isnt going to make you a better stick handler but being stronger will help you lay out some bender with his head down and being better conditioned will help you to skate faster and longer.

Agreed.

But that doesn't mean you try to become a better stick handler by running through some S&C drills that mimick stick handling. It won't teach you to stick handle better and you won't maximize the time you spend on S&C. You only have so much recovery ability, so use it wisely.

Do your GPP/S&C with tried and true basics (lift heavy things + HIIT). Then hit hockey practise and forget about the S&C stuff and focus on skill training.

Make sense?

PowerForward
10-09-2007, 11:10 PM
As a begginer you just need to skate and skate and skate as hard you can.