PDA

View Full Version : Splenda....good or bad?

LaxGuy16
06-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Splenda...

If I am not mistaken, splenda is a "sugar alcohol". I was just wondering if splenda has the same effects as real sugar..ex: the insulin response.

Will it cause my insulin level to spike? Being I am on a cut I am obvisously trying to avoid insulin spikes, but at the same time wouldn't mind tasting something sweet (splenda).

Any response welcomed and much appreciated...

Thanks

gains2385
06-21-2006, 06:45 PM
I am pretty sure you want the insulin spike post workout...even on a cut...

I have been taking creatine (cell-tech) after my workouts and it has 75 grams/sugar and my cut has been going just wonderful.

ddegroff
06-21-2006, 08:43 PM
whats great about sugar alcohols is your body doesn't reconize them. SO no insulin spike, but gians is right Fast CHO's PWO are important.

TheGimp
06-21-2006, 11:36 PM
I wasn't aware sucralose was a sugar alcohol. Sucralose is not metabolised so there is no insulin response. Sugar alcohols such as xylitol and malitol are metabolised, providing 2 calories per gram, and there is an insulin response, but it is low, certainly not a spike.

EDIT: Having done a bit more reading it seems I am correct about sucralose not being a sugar alcohol. A sugar alcohol is a carbohydrate that has been hydrogenated. Sucralose is sucrose that has been chlorinated.

ddegroff
06-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Ah, my mistake (kinda get them confused i guess). Thanks for clearing that up Gimp!

EDIT: just did a quick search on google, check this out! (http://www.sugar.org/consumers/sweet_by_nature.asp?id=278)

Optimum08
06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
splenda is a real nice addition to things that you want sweet especially on a cut or on a ccaloric deficit. and like gimp said the sucralose does not cause an insulin spike since its not a sugar alcohol.

Con
06-22-2006, 11:05 AM
hey i always wondered why exactly do you want to spike your insulin after a workout? and what ways can you do that short of a supplement?

Holto
06-22-2006, 04:07 PM
hey i always wondered why exactly do you want to spike your insulin after a workout? and what ways can you do that short of a supplement?

Insulin encourages nutrient uptake into cells. Muscle cells and fat cells. The nice thing is post workout your muscle cells are primed to absorb nutrients.

MagnaSephiroth
06-24-2006, 12:55 AM
I heard natural sugar is much better for you then artificial stuff like splenda, in terms of being able to recognize it and break it down.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-24-2006, 03:27 AM
I heard natural sugar is much better for you then artificial stuff like splenda, in terms of being able to recognize it and break it down.How does your body's recognition of a substance correlate with health? And Splenda isn't bad for you as it passes through the system undigested. It has been deemed safe even for little kids and pregnant women.