PDA

View Full Version : What is HIIT???

ottomanart
06-24-2006, 03:11 AM
I have seen a few references to HIIT floating around in here... what is it?:scratch:

Y0yo
06-24-2006, 03:18 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/search.php?searchid=737019

High-intensity interval training
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

High-intensity interval training (HIIT), sometimes referred to as Guerilla Cardio, is an exercise strategy that is intended to improve performance with short training sessions. HIIT 'sessions' are becoming increasingly popular among today's athletes as more studies are done about the benefits of this exercise method.

A HIIT session involves a warmup period, several short, maximum-intensity efforts separated by moderate recovery intervals, and a cooldown period. The period of alternating effort and recovery intervals typically lasts a total of 20 minutes.

It is proven to be more effective at burning fat while maintaining muscle mass compared to long duration, low intensity workouts.

ottomanart
06-24-2006, 05:41 AM
ok... so give me an example of something you can do in a "HIIT session" are we talking about sprints, running stairs, swimming, jumping rope or what?
Your quote says 20 minutes total (activity and recovery). What is the benifit of such a short cardio session?
What is the benifit for a Lifter doing HIIT?
Also, do you do HIIT on a lifting day or on your rest day?

Just wondering what it is (in detail)!

Progress
06-24-2006, 05:58 AM
ok... so give me an example of something you can do in a "HIIT session" are we talking about sprints, running stairs, swimming, jumping rope or what?

People do running, elliptical, swimming, etc. I'm guessing you can try jump rope and the like but they are less popular.

Your quote says 20 minutes total (activity and recovery). What is the benifit of such a short cardio session?

Twenty minutes may seem like a short time but when you factor in the intensity at which you are performing the exercise, you will realize it doesn't need to be any longer.

Also, do you do HIIT on a lifting day or on your rest day?

You can go either way. I wouldn't pair it on a workout day, but if I did, I would put it at an earlier or later time in the day with at least one meal served between them.

When I do HIIT, I get on a treadmill and I warmup by maybe running a mile at about 8 mph. Then, when my heartrate is up, I'll max out the treadmill and run at that for as long as I can, then I drop it down to either a very slow jog or a fast walk pace. Then when I feel my HR going down again I max out the speed. I repeat this until I'm pretty much dead. In this manner it's similar to weight training; you can adjust reps (or volume or how long the session for HIIT) and/or you can adjust intensity (weight lifted or speed for HIIT).

Hope this helps.

Coqui
06-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Twenty minutes may seem like a short time but when you factor in the intensity at which you are performing the exercise, you will realize you can't do it any longer.

Fixed :D

ottomanart
06-24-2006, 06:51 AM
ok that works thanks "progress"... That helps out a bunch!

Final question... what is the reason for doing this?

Bob
06-24-2006, 07:10 AM
From YoYos reply above.. and Wikipedia.. burn fats more efficiently, while maintaining muscle!!

:High-intensity interval training
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

High-intensity interval training (HIIT), sometimes referred to as Guerilla Cardio, is an exercise strategy that is intended to improve performance with short training sessions. HIIT 'sessions' are becoming increasingly popular among today's athletes as more studies are done about the benefits of this exercise method.

A HIIT session involves a warmup period, several short, maximum-intensity efforts separated by moderate recovery intervals, and a cooldown period. The period of alternating effort and recovery intervals typically lasts a total of 20 minutes.

It is proven to be more effective at burning fat while maintaining muscle mass compared to long duration, low intensity workouts.

Stumprrp
06-24-2006, 07:17 AM
people pretty much covered it, its a great program that is more effective and funner then your standard 3-5 mile run.

ottomanart
06-24-2006, 08:53 AM
alright... I will thnk about cycling those in on my off days and see what happens!!! THANKS for all the info (EVERYONE)!!!

rma11
06-25-2006, 12:53 PM
is it better to do 20 min on offdays (3 offdays a week) or just 10 min everyday? (during a bulk)

Anthony
06-25-2006, 01:15 PM
The shorter the intervals, the better. A popular number is 20 second sprint, 10 second easy - developed by a researcher named Tabata (do a search on google for "tabata hiit" and you'll find tons of info). I would start out with 4-5 minutes on 1 off day per week. If you are TRULY sprinting, 8 intervals (4 minutes total) will run most people into the ground. Rule of thumb: if it's longer than 20 seconds, IT AINT A SPRINT.

Some popular and kick ass exercises to use for this:

track sprints
bike sprints
swim sprints
front squats
thrusters
heavy bag work
etc.

Enjoy. ;)

rma11
06-25-2006, 02:19 PM
The shorter the intervals, the better. A popular number is 20 second sprint, 10 second easy - developed by a researcher named Tabata (do a search on google for "tabata hiit" and you'll find tons of info). I would start out with 4-5 minutes on 1 off day per week. If you are TRULY sprinting, 8 intervals (4 minutes total) will run most people into the ground. Rule of thumb: if it's longer than 20 seconds, IT AINT A SPRINT.

track sprints
bike sprints
swim sprints
front squats
thrusters
heavy bag work
etc.

Enjoy. ;)
wow. so only 5 minutes of cardio on off-days? and sprinting at that (the fun kind)... it can't be that easy, lmao:bow:

John04Civic
06-25-2006, 03:46 PM
THANK YOU!!

I tried searching for this over and over and COULD NOT find it.

I will DEFINITELY be adding this to my routine!

By the way, Guerilla Cardio sounds WAY cooler!

Y0yo
06-26-2006, 08:46 AM

track sprints
bike sprints
swim sprints
front squats
thrusters
heavy bag work
etc.

Enjoy. ;)

Can I ask what 'thrusters' are?

Anthony
06-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Can I ask what 'thrusters' are?

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/Barbell_Thruster.wmv

Y0yo
06-26-2006, 10:06 PM
When apply this to HIIT how would you determine the best weight to use? Start low and work your way up to what's best?

Anthony
06-27-2006, 04:22 AM
Shoot for about 8-10 reps per 20 seconds.