PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble bulking...

DGabe24
06-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Ok now before you say I lack the determination and discipline to reach my goals, I promise you this is not the case. I have tried to keep shakes down to just 2 a day and eat as much as possible with 6 meals a day. I carry peanuts around and have tons of peanut butter throughout the day. At night I have my cottage cheese before bed, and nothing seems to put some serious poundage on me. So I am resorting to a weight gainer :mad: I did a full forums search on weight gainers, and most of it is home made...this is fine with me, or I can buy them.

Could some of you just post some personal favorites that are actually drinkable, or ones that you have bought that are affordable please. Thanks again everyone~

P.S. - I remember a thread about making omlets in a ziploc bag and putting it in boiling water? Am I just going crazy, or was that from this site?

Bob
06-25-2006, 09:56 AM
But have you actually track the true calories you are putting into your system using www.fitday.com?

Even though you think you are eating enough... you might still not be.
Find out your true calories and macros using Fitday are today - with your normal diet in your post...
Then add 500 cals more tomorrow and the same for a month.. and see what happens.

Good luck.. and remember to Eat more.. Squat more.. and get enough rest.

Holto
06-25-2006, 09:58 AM
HOW MANY CALORIES ARE YOU EATING?

If you don't know the answer to this question they you lack discipline.

If you don't count calories how can you control them?

If you don't control calories how do you ever hope to gain weight?

KingWilder
06-25-2006, 10:24 AM
www.fitday.com

and also

HOW MANY CALORIES ARE YOU EATING?

If you don't know the answer to this question then you lack discipline.

If you don't count calories how can you control them?

If you don't control calories how do you ever hope to gain weight?

DGabe24
06-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Ok maybe a few more people can link me Fitday? You act like I joined the website last month...I dont feel the need to track calories. Was just asking for suggestions for weight gainers, not a lesson on how I should keep track of macros. I'm bulking so I know to eat everything in sight, was just looking to add a few shakes to the day. Thanks anyway~

markdk86
06-25-2006, 10:55 AM
If you don't feel the need to count calories then you don't have the need to gain weight. Stop being a puss and carry a pen and paper.

TheGimp
06-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Your title is misleading. If you want an answer to why you are having trouble bulking then it's because of your refusal to properly track calories. If you are looking for a weight gainer then I suggest you try the supplements forum.

SpecialK
06-25-2006, 11:42 AM
There's nothing magic about weight gainers. If you aren't getting enough cals then you aren't eating enough. I suggest you do like the other posters said and start tracking on fitday.

RedSpikeyThing
06-25-2006, 12:04 PM
I'll say it one more time: TRACK YOUR CALORIES!

Also, a good shake is:

1-2 scoops Nitrean
2 cups whole milk
1/3 - 1/2 cup powdered milk
1 Carnation Instant Breakfast
1 - 2 tbsp Olive Oil

If you use the larger servings above, this is the breakdown:
Total cals:1206
Fat 63
Carbs 76
Protein 88

I found that out using www.fitday.com ...TRACK YOUR CALORIES!

Slim Schaedle
06-25-2006, 12:13 PM
I dont feel the need to track calories.
Then we shouldn't feel the need to come up with magic solutions when you express your laziness or unwillingness to take meaningful advice.

DGabe24
06-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Here is a diet I have come up with hopefully if I can stick to this I can track my calories with ease and then in turn be able to bulk much easier.

Meal 1
- NOW Adam Multi vitamin
- 1 Fish oil capsule
- 2 Servings of oatmeal
- 1 capsule of Vigor (antioxidant)
- 3-4 hard boiled eggs

Meal 2
- PB sandwich
- 16 oz. water
- Bag of nuts, at least 8oz.
- Some sort of fruit (usually strawberries, watermelon, or blueberries)
- 1 ON Whey Shake - 2 scoops in whole milk - 1 cup of steel cut oats

Meal 3
- Some type of deli sandwich, usually chicken, turkey, or roast beef
- 1 Fish oil capsule
- 16 oz. water
- More nuts minimum of 5oz.

Meal 4
- Tuna sandwhich (1 or 2 cans)
- Banana
- Bag of nuts (at least 4 oz.)
- ON Whey shake - 2 scoops in 2% milk with peanut butter and 1 cup of oats

- Pre Workout 30 minutess before I take my Universal Storm and throughout my workout I take my SciVation Xtend.

- Post workout 2-3g of CEE with 2 scoops of Whey in 2% milk with some dextrose (20g +/-)

Meal 5
- Homemade dinner - prepared by my mom - usually chicken, fish, steak, pot roast, or something like that.
- More water
- 1 Fish oil capsule
- Vegetables - broccoli, corn, or asparagus usually

Meal 6
- NOW Adam multi
- 1 Fish oil capsule
- Bedtime shake 2 scoops of whey, 5oz 2% milk, cottage cheese, peanut butter, and 1 cup oats
- 1 capsule of Vigor (antioxidant)
- 3 capsules of ZMA

I guess I'll work on tracking calories one of these days.

RedSpikeyThing
06-25-2006, 01:49 PM
I guess I'll work on tracking calories one of these days.

If you're willing to type out a strict diet and follow it, type it into ****ing fitday! Then you will know what you're dealing with. You don't have to do it everyday. Do it every now and then to see if you're on track or not.

DGabe24
06-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Ouch Slim man, ya cut me deep :( Didnt think you'd be so harsh like that? I'm not saying I am disagreeing, but if I am having a hard time getting in a hardy 6 meals because of my schedule how would I have the time to sit down and type everything into fitday? I'll have to do it on a weekend sometime I guess. I really just prefer taking a shake that taste decent, instead of shoving facefuls evey possible chance.

TheGimp
06-25-2006, 02:30 PM
There is nothing wrong with the shake approach.

The problem is: how big a shake? How many shakes? What should they be composed of exactly?

To answer these questions you need to track calories, even if it is only infrequently.

SpecialK
06-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Ouch Slim man, ya cut me deep :( Didnt think you'd be so harsh like that? I'm not saying I am disagreeing, but if I am having a hard time getting in a hardy 6 meals because of my schedule how would I have the time to sit down and type everything into fitday? I'll have to do it on a weekend sometime I guess. I really just prefer taking a shake that taste decent, instead of shoving facefuls evey possible chance.

If you are willing to sacrifice variety in your diet, fitday becomes incredibly easy. I have gone long stretches of time where I ate nearly the exact same thing every day for months. I actually had custom foods in fitday that were titled something like "everything eaten prior to 7 pm" because it never changed from day to day.

Even you do have variety, it would still only take a few minutes to enter everything in once you get familiar with it. Surely you can spare 2-3 minutes a day to help reach your goals.

KingWilder
06-25-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm basically addicted to fitday now. All the foods I eat are custom entries (because of eating and adding stuff for a year). It literally takes me 20 seconds max to add what I just ate after a meal or maybe like 5 mins at the end of the day.

markdk86
06-25-2006, 03:06 PM
If you had enough time to post here and ask for help, and enough time to make a sample diet and post it too, you have enough time to use fitday.

Slim Schaedle
06-25-2006, 04:57 PM
My point wasn;t to be a di** but to hit home that in the end the only way to really determine what is working and what is not is to keep track.

Sure you can do what you were suggesting about eating "enough." I did that for a while. But then I think back to how much progress I DID NOT make becuase I wasn't keeping track of things. I put a TON of effort (time, supplements, self-studying, etc.) into this game from 1999 to 2003 (and hoigh school before that) without counting one calorie. Think if I just would have done it.

Unreal
06-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Fitday takes 2-3 minutes a day. If you don't have an extra 2-3 minutes then leave a set off one of your exercises because a proper diet will do more then that extra set. You can't built a house with lumber.

And if you not eating something while reading this, then your doing something wrong. EAT EAT EAT.

DGabe24
06-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Ok I spent a while today just setting in the foods I usually ate so it will take less time. How do I find where I can link you guys my set up? I typed in my whole diet and it came out to like 7k calories :scratch:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Ok I spent a while today just setting in the foods I usually ate so it will take less time. How do I find where I can link you guys my set up? I typed in my whole diet and it came out to like 7k calories :scratch:Go to "Home" then on the bottom there's a button that says "Make My Journal Public". Once you click that, it'll give you a link to your food journal, which you can then post here for everyone to see.

DGabe24
06-25-2006, 10:39 PM
DGabe Fitday (http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=DaveGabe24)

K, does something seem like unreasonable? I cant imagine I'm really having that many calories and not gaining at least 1lb a week ..:scratch:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Some folks on here eat 10,000+ calories to gain weight. It's not that hard to believe.

Slim Schaedle
06-25-2006, 11:40 PM
How does 2 scoops of whey have 144g protein?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-25-2006, 11:48 PM
How does 2 scoops of whey have 144g protein?LOL...I think incorrect inputs might be the cause for such a high calorie total.

DGabe24
06-25-2006, 11:51 PM
No thats just what I named it, I am have 3 servings of 2 scoops, so it's essentially 6 scoops. I just named it 2 scoops cause thats what's in each shake.

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 12:12 AM
What is your activity level during the day?

Den Fisher
06-26-2006, 01:12 PM
One easy thing to do to keep track of calories, is the foods you get, look at the serving size, and eat that or more of that serving size. Then some more food look at serving size, have it. And once you achieve 500-600 calories or whichever for that meal. Then you're done, and just do that every meal so you know you got enough or even a little over.

DGabe24
06-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Well soccer just ended, that was intense cardio 4-6 days a week sometimes varying with weather over here in Jersey. I think bulking will be much easier now, but again I will need to be adding some serious cardio at least 4-5 days a week to get ready for this 4 day St. John's University soccer camp :bash:

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Were you factoring in all that activity when choosing the amount of food to eat?

I guess not tracking your calories, it would impossible to determine if you were eating enough.