PDA

View Full Version : Window Of Oppurtunity

Vertigo
06-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Im a little confused about the "window of oppurtunity" and im trying to eat as effectively as possible. When, and what should I be eating, before and after my workouts? I know I should eat as soon as possible after my workout, but how soon before? Also what sort of nutrients should I be trying to get during these crucial moments? Ive heard complex carbs before? Im probably wrong... any help?

RedSpikeyThing
06-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Complex carbs give you long lasting energy. They are good to eat ~30-45 minutes (I think) before you workout. Post workout you want simple carbs. Most people suggest dextrose/glucose in your post workout shake. I've also heard that creatine is marginally more effective post workout, compared to any other time of day.

Eating at the right times will help you if your diet is essentially flawless. If you haven't nailed your diet down yet, I would suggest doing that before trying to get the timing right.

Hope that helps!

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Complex carbs give you long lasting energy.
So would "simple" carbs, assuming they were converted to glycogen after consumption.

Carbohydrates are not automatically "used" or "burned" immediately after consumption.

Simple carbs can just as easily be stored for later while the body is doing nothing, depending on the energy charge of the cell.

"Long lasting energy" could mean so many different things as well.

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Im a little confused about the "window of oppurtunity" and im trying to eat as effectively as possible. When, and what should I be eating, before and after my workouts? I know I should eat as soon as possible after my workout, but how soon before? Also what sort of nutrients should I be trying to get during these crucial moments? Ive heard complex carbs before? Im probably wrong... any help?
If your body can handle it, you can do a meal high in sugar (dextrose, NOT fructose or sucrose) prior to weights.

I have done up to 160g dextrose 2 hours out from a workout to ensure maximum glycogen stores.

Your ability handle something like that without adding unwated bodyfat or "sugar crash" (or whatever you want to call it) is determined by trial and error.

Progress
06-26-2006, 02:25 PM
If your body can handle it, you can do a meal high in sugar (dextrose, NOT fructose or sucrose) prior to weights.

I have done up to 160g dextrose 2 hours out from a workout to ensure maximum glycogen stores.

Your ability handle something like that without adding unwated bodyfat or "sugar crash" (or whatever you want to call it) is determined by trial and error.

If I took 160g of dextrose in one sitting I would be jumping off the walls.

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 02:35 PM
200g is pretty cool too

Progress
06-26-2006, 02:49 PM
200g is pretty cool too

Do you get a jittery feeling? It's wierd, whey seems to mellow me down and almost makes me sleepy, dex does the opposite. When I take them post workout their side effects are negated.

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Do you get a jittery feeling? It's wierd, whey seems to mellow me down and almost makes me sleepy, dex does the opposite. When I take them post workout their side effects are negated.
No, just some slight muscle twitching, which I'd like to think is glycogen formation. But who knows if you can literally feel something like that.

David
06-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Slim, how much dextrose do you use in your post workout shake?

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Slim, how much dextrose do you use in your post workout shake?
It varies.

Right now none b/c I just started UD2.

Bulking...maybe around 100-160

Cutting...60-100.

There's never been a magic number for me.

Fat Man
06-26-2006, 06:47 PM

Whats some examples of dexrose as opposed to fructose and glucose if you dont mind explaining?

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 07:42 PM
Whats some examples of dexrose as opposed to fructose and glucose if you dont mind explaining?
dextrose is glucose.

Sources are corn sugar, sweet tarts, pixy sticks......but just buy the powder in bulk. Do a search for further info.

SkinnySadMan
06-26-2006, 08:19 PM
uh huh... I've got 14 lbs. of Fructose to go through. Damn.:bash:

Stackattack
06-26-2006, 08:42 PM
I'd throw it in the trash. WTF did your buy that?
Slim i can't imagine consuming 160g of dextrose. 80-100g in my shake PWO puts me in a coma.

DGabe24
06-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Lol and I thought taking 60-80 was bad, made me pass out all 3 times I tried it :redface:

David
06-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah, same here.

Whenever I take 75g dextrose post workout I feel like throwing up.

ddegroff
06-26-2006, 09:21 PM
The window you speak of is REALLY cloudy. Its really individual. Some can eat 30mins before others need to eat 2hrs before. Its takes some trial and error to figure what works for you. They gave some good ideas on what to take preworkout.

Postworkout is really more like eat as soon as you can. Then eat ~1-2hrs after that. Whey/dex is a good choice, then a whole meal full a little while after.

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Did you buy that without reading these forums first?

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 09:49 PM
I'd throw it in the trash. WTF did your buy that?
Slim i can't imagine consuming 160g of dextrose. 80-100g in my shake PWO puts me in a coma.
I've taken up to 200g at once.

arya202
06-26-2006, 10:06 PM
dextrose is glucose.

Sources are corn sugar, sweet tarts, pixy sticks......but just buy the powder in bulk. Do a search for further info.

So are Red vines dextros/glucose?

Ingrediants are Corn Syrup, Wheat Flour, Citric Acid, Artificial Flavor and Color (Red 40)

I can't get supplements so I have to get glucose in the form of candy.