PDA

View Full Version : Cutting - gained 4 pounds from 1 cheat day!?!?

DokterVet
06-26-2006, 10:19 AM
I had one bad day on my cut in which I accidentally ate 300 extra calories, and I gained back the 4 lbs I had lost since June 1. I'm not sure what I did wrong or how to go from here. Details:

I started a cut on June 1 at 223 lbs, estimated 185 lbs LBM.

While bulking my cals were around 3100 a day, maintenance was about 2700 -

I've been eating around 2580 - 2625 cals per day, aiming for 200 g of protein (with a minimum of 185), 95 g of fat and the rest carbs.

I've limited sugar, and started eating more vegetables like brocoli.

I've been trying to do 5 meals a day with 40 g of protein in each.

I have continued to take creatine monohydrate and usually 1 meal a day is a protein shake. I measure out all of my food as often as I can and track calories and macros every day. I think I've had 2 cheat days since June 1, mostly out of neccessity.

Last week, my weight tended to be around 218.5 - 219 lbs, so I had lost about 4 lbs in 3 weeks. On friday (June 23), I accidentally ate the following: calories: 2912 fat: 89 carbs: 322 protein: 218.

So it was about 300 extra calories.

By the next day I was 4 lbs heavier (back to 223, where I started). It's been 2 days since then and the weight remains on.

I didn't think 300 calories for 1 day would do anything, and I'm not sure if that means I'm doing something wrong or if I should make changes to my diet. I had thought, in fact, that cheat days were a healthy part of a cut.

So any help/advice would be appreciated.

ddegroff
06-26-2006, 10:45 AM
First weigh yourself once a week, perferably in the am. Do this EVERY week same time then see how much weight you gain or lose.

Sorry 300cals isnt going to make you gain 4lbs. Most likely you overate in carbs (most people do) and to store carbs you need to store water (ie water weight).

Take a deep breath, get back on your diet and see what you weigh next week.

DokterVet
06-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I see, so do I need to keep carb intake under 200 gs or what?

RedSpikeyThing
06-26-2006, 12:37 PM
as long as you meet your minimums and eat your alotted intake, you will be fine. To gain 4 lbs of fat, you would have to eat about 14000 excess calories (3500 cals / pound). Since you clearly didn't do that, I would attribute it to water weight. Did you weight yourself at the same time as usual? Not going to the washroom when you normally do could throw you off, for example.

I'm sure you're fine...good luck!

DokterVet
06-26-2006, 01:06 PM
The weight gain was consistent. I keep track of my weight during work out sessions as well as the morning and the increase held for both.

I guess it is water weight, but I just don't really know how or why that would happen.

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 02:18 PM
The weight gain was consistent. I keep track of my weight during work out sessions as well as the morning and the increase held for both.

I guess it is water weight, but I just don't really know how or why that would happen.
Carbohydrate adds glycogen weight.

With glycogen comes water.

DokterVet
06-26-2006, 02:29 PM
So where is that weight stored? Fat? Muscle? What is its effect on physique?

Should it be avoided? If so, how?

Eszekial
06-26-2006, 02:34 PM
No, it should NOT, be avoided.

You're water weight is dependant on a lot of things such as salt intake and carbohydrate intake, etc etc..

it can be avoide, BUT SHOULDN'T! Water and glycogen are crucial for you no matter what. Taking the steps to be rid of water retention would be foolish for your long term goals.

Keep carbs lower and steady WILL help with this. Do not mess around with your salt intake just to lower water levels. Again, counter productive.

The water weight is held all over, but glycogen and water are stored in your muscles before anywhere else. If you pay attention, you may feel bloated, but you probably have more energy, str, pumps. Muscles will feel tighter and fuller.

Long story short, this is a common occurance... After high carb / high salt cheat days, expect to be bloated the next day or so. Happens to all of us.

Long story short, don't worry about water weight.

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 02:37 PM
glycogen are crucial for you no matter what..
Nope

but glycogen and water are stored in your muscles before anywhere else. .
Nope

DokterVet
06-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Slim Schaedle, please explain.

DokterVet
06-26-2006, 02:40 PM
I should mention that I'm doing this cut for bodybuilding purposes and not to cut weight for sport or anything.

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 02:45 PM
Liver glycogen is filled before muscle glycogen

Glycogen storage is not crucial b/c energy can be derived from other sources in the body.

Glycogen is not absolutely necessary for bodybuilding, or for the body to survive in general.

To answer your original question, you ate extra calories, some of which may have been carbs. The carbs added come glycogen weight as well as water weight. It's nothing to stress over at all. Just simply go back to your diet and keep track of things.

DokterVet
06-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Yes I ate about 100 extra grams of carbs on that day.
I will continue with my diet as is.
Should I expect that the extra glycogen weight will drop off after a few days?

DokterVet
06-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Depressing thought: I suppose the 4 lbs I lost could have just been water weight due to my cutting diet having much less carbs than my bulking diet.

Tsuki No Neko
06-26-2006, 06:35 PM
If it makes you feel better, I had the same sort of thing happen to me, for most of the first month and a half of my cut. I just fluctuated between two or three pounds for weeks, and it was very frustrating.

But if you just keep at it, as everyone else has been saying, you'll get past it. It felt really good for me when I finally dropped beneath the weight that I couldn't seem to get past.

You'll do okay. Good luck! :)

ddegroff
06-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Yes I ate about 100 extra grams of carbs on that day.
I will continue with my diet as is.
Should I expect that the extra glycogen weight will drop off after a few days?

Thats what i was getting at. Most people overeat CHOs on cheat days.

Yeah as you use the glycogen the weight will drop off. Thats why I said weigh yourself next week, and see where your at.

How many times a week do you weigh yourself?

DokterVet
06-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Once at the start of each workout (3 times a week), sometimes a few extra at workout time.

as well as in the morning before I eat anything 1 or 2 times a week. (recorded seperately)

Also: Just so I don't sound like a tool in real life, is "glycogen" pronounced with a hard or soft 'c'?

ddegroff
06-26-2006, 09:24 PM
You weigh yourself more than I do, and I thought I did it a lot. Do you have a set time/day when you weigh yourself and thats the one that matters (ie for its tuesday pwo). I weigh myself other times too, BUT that one time is the one I write down and it tells me how to adjust.

I would say a soft 'c', but I'm sure it depends on what part of the country your from, or what country your from.

DokterVet
06-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Ok, I'll make sure to weigh myself once a week at the same day and time.

I weigh myself every workout because I record every workout meticulously and want to know how much I weighed for each lift.

Oh, and I'm from Toronto, Canada.

But if you just keep at it, as everyone else has been saying, you'll get past it. It felt really good for me when I finally dropped beneath the weight that I couldn't seem to get past.

You'll do okay. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll do that.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Ok, I'll make sure to weigh myself once a week at the same day and time. You should weigh yourself right after you wake up in the morning and naked. Go to the bathroom first if you have to, but naked morning weight is the most accurate.

Slim Schaedle
06-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Also: Just so I don't sound like a tool in real life, is "glycogen" pronounced with a hard or soft 'c'?
Glike O Jen

ShockBoxer
06-27-2006, 02:56 PM
I keep my carbs high to keep my water-weight stable (at high). Early on I was getting depressed at how my weight would fluctuate wildly when I thought I was cutting and how fast it poured on when I thought I was only slightly bulking. I don't know what kind of effect that will have long term but it's allowed me to fluctuate randomly between 160 grams of carbs and 400 grams of carbs (mmm... chinese food...) without feeling 'bloated' and without moving the scale unexpectedly.

motoko013
06-28-2006, 04:25 AM
You should weigh yourself right after you wake up in the morning and naked. Go to the bathroom first if you have to, but naked morning weight is the most accurate.

does it matter if you pee first?

RedSpikeyThing
06-28-2006, 02:37 PM
does it matter if you pee first?

Yes! It's easiest to get everything out of your system then weigh yourself.

Patz
06-28-2006, 02:57 PM
in order to have gained 4lbs, you would have to have been fourteen thousand calories in surplus for the day.

and that's just mathematically. i still don't see that science actually holding up on a single-day basis.

Eszekial
06-28-2006, 03:23 PM
in order to have gained 4lbs, you would have to have been fourteen thousand calories in surplus for the day.

and that's just mathematically. i still don't see that science actually holding up on a single-day basis.

well said.