PDA

View Full Version : Can't do cleans

Jinkies
06-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Im not flexible enough in my arms or maybe they are getting to big for me to bend them back far enough. Im not able to catch the bar on my shoulders because my hands wont go back that far so its causing problems at heavy weights.

Any ideas of what I can do? thinking maybe if i start doing 300+ frontsquats or something it will force it down

Anthony
06-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Practise.

greathuskie
06-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Practise.

yes. make sure to do it with an S too. :french:

laxguy1028
06-26-2006, 12:41 PM
you arent flexible enough to do cleans but can overhead squat over 200? something doesnt seem right as the overhead squat takes tons of flexiblity.

Jinkies
06-26-2006, 12:49 PM
I can OH squat and snatch but those dont require my hands to bend back to my shoulders, the question is what can i do to help this; my only idea was practice but figured it was worth a shot if theres some shortcut

KevinStarke
06-26-2006, 12:54 PM
I have short stubby arms and my flexibility is crap and I can clean so i see no reason you cant.

Jinkies
06-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Well i can clean but i cant really hold the weight right for the frontsquat up when it comes to good form. For a visual i cant push my elbows out to lock the weight down. ( trying to explain the best i can )

biggimp
06-26-2006, 01:14 PM
no offense but there is no way in hell its because your "arms are too big"

Jinkies
06-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Yeah i know that was a joke, Ive been doing alot of research,watchin the heavyweight group in the olympics and they have no problems so i just need practice

Deadlifter
06-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Your grip is probably too narrow or too wide, even an inch in the wrong direction can throw off everything.

Chubrock
06-26-2006, 09:30 PM
yes. make sure to do it with an S too. :french:

I made the mistake of calling him on that too haha. He's going to come back with a dictionary link to let us all know he's right.

Darcy Tucker
08-21-2006, 12:40 AM
I'm having this exact same problem. Is it practice or is it about becoming more flexible. The bar is supposed to sit in the exact same position on your shoulders as a front squat correct? I try to keep my elbows straight out, not down and to keep them close together so that they don't flare out. Once in the correct position just have the bar in my finger tips.

Darcy Tucker
08-21-2006, 12:48 AM
Ahhh I guess I have to keep watching the videos over and over again. I've noticed that people that do these wack the bar against their hips before the bar goes straight up. Also is it smart to change your footing to a wider stance once the bar is going up?

Dinosaur
08-21-2006, 03:53 AM
It's all about flexibility and practice. Most likely you're pulling too much with your arms and not getting enough out of the shrug so when you catch it it lands funny. The flexibility and technique will come with practice.

Dinosaur
08-21-2006, 03:54 AM
Yes to the front squat and no, you want to keep your feet about shoulder-width throughout the lift. O-lifting uses narrower stances as it's all about power, and if you're too wide you lose some of that power.

ArchAngel777
08-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Jinkies sure does create a stir when he posts.

Jinkies IS a large kid... His arms are rather large and I do believe that is a big part of it. Most people do power cleans incorrectly to begin with. Most hold the weight up to their shoulders but rely on that arms to hold the weight up. This is how MOST people do them and I would suspect most here do them that way. In order to do them properly, they do take a good amount of flexability. The larger the arms, the more flexability is needed.

The way to resolve this issue is just like you would any other part of your body that lacks flexability... Stretch it slowly over time... I would not recomend "forcing" it down as that could give you some shoulder injuries...

Two solutions are to rack the weight with your arms instead or to slowly gain flexability over time. Either way, you should be fine, but when it comes to jerking the weight overhead, you need to have learned the latter (correct) form of racking the weight properly.

Darcy Tucker
08-21-2006, 10:48 AM
When you talk about flexibility are you referring to your arms? Cause i figure the back of your wrist has to be able to touch the front of your shoulder with ease? Am I on the right track?

MixmasterNash
08-21-2006, 11:39 AM
When you talk about flexibility are you referring to your arms? Cause i figure the back of your wrist has to be able to touch the front of your shoulder with ease? Am I on the right track?
Yes, he was taking about wrist/arm/shoulder flexibility.

But you also need hip and ankle flexibility too.