PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit program benefits?

brad-w
06-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Hey guys, someone was posting about the crossfit training program and I was wondering what the benefits of the program would be. They were saying if you aren't using steroids, and your eating right it can be a better size builder than lifting. They give you different routines every day or two, so your alway swtiching it up, and every once in a while they'll have super heavy clean and press, which is a great size builder, or so I hear. Then other days it'll have HIIT or medicine ball core workouts, But the other thing they have is like, do sets of 20 jumping chin-ups as fast as you can, and then as many sets as you can fit in 20 min. And I've heard that really isn't good for bulking up. So say someone was to go on the program, what would be the benefits of that, vs. the benefits of straight lifting, with say, WWB1?

MixmasterNash
06-26-2006, 06:51 PM
What is YOUR goal?

brad-w
06-26-2006, 06:52 PM
I want size and strength. Going for about 200 pounds. @ 10% bf (right now 167 @ 16 years old and around 12 - 15% - bulking).

Anthony
06-26-2006, 06:56 PM
The Crossfit WOD is just an example of how to apply their principles. What you emphasize depends on your weakness. Generally speaking, the WOD will improve the strength and conditioning of most lifters.

brad-w
06-26-2006, 07:25 PM
So your saying it will improve conditioning, if done as well as lifting? Would that not be over doing it a bit?

Anthony
06-26-2006, 07:30 PM
I said it would improve strength and conditioning in most people.

Deadlifter
06-26-2006, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't recommend it if you're trying to gain size. I also wouldn't recommend it if your goal is to develop specific, large amounts of strength and power. I'd recommend it if you want to be "above physically fit" and able to do just about anything.

JustLost
06-27-2006, 06:46 AM
The Crossfit WOD is just an example of how to apply their principles. What you emphasize depends on your weakness. Generally speaking, the WOD will improve the strength and conditioning of most lifters.

I think pretty much everybody would benefit from checking Crossfit out and at least understanding the principles, then adapting them to their own goals. I never do the WOD, but the basic notion of changing things up and frequently adding new exercises has been a big help to me. The conditioning benefits have great carryover to my more conventional workouts in terms of work capacity and endurance.