PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting Equipment

nitrobob
06-27-2006, 11:35 AM
I am training for a powerlifting contest. My trainer stated that I need a bench shirt and squat suit. I need some advise. One ply, two ply, denim, which brand? Any advise would be appreciated!

DNL
06-27-2006, 11:54 AM
why didn't you ask your trainer? Seems like he would be the best person to ask since he's training you.

KingWilder
06-27-2006, 11:55 AM
why didn't you ask your trainer? Seems like he would be the best person to ask since he's training you.

yeah, I would have asked your trainer

or PM Sensei or KevinStarke (if he hasn't left for his crazy walk yet) and see what they recommend

waynedang
06-27-2006, 01:05 PM
I am training for a powerlifting contest. My trainer stated that I need a bench shirt and squat suit. I need some advise. One ply, two ply, denim, which brand? Any advise would be appreciated!

Some info would help like your raw strength? what fed the meet is? how long you have to train before the meet? measurements?

but without knowing all that- Shirt Titan F6 suit Titan centurion. Don't for get knee and wrist wraps. I would call a dealer who can get the size close from talking to you like Ken anderson Office: 972-250-4433 Mobile:469-767-3132 .

Wayne Prose

nitrobob
06-29-2006, 12:18 PM
My trainer does not compete and he understands that different meets have different rules. I have browsed the IPF etc. but find very little information. I have a Pb of 250 on bench and 350 on squat. I am 60 years old and weigh 220lbs. I do not want to spend the money get to a meet and find out that 2 ply is not accepted or buy 1ply and everyone is using 2ply. I have never used a shirt. I have been told that denim is best. Just wanted some straight talk not BS.

Sensei
06-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Start with single-ply polyester stuff - it is legal in all contests except 'raw'. I wouldn't mess with canvas or denim for your first suit or shirt anyway.

I have only had experience with Inzer equipment, so as far as Inzer goes, I would recommend the following for a first timer: Inzer Heavy Duty Blast Shirt, Inzer Z-Suit or Inzer Champion, Inzer Z Wraps (knee and wrist). These shouldn't break you financially and if you try them and like them, there are a ton of different suits and shirts you could progress to.

phreak
06-30-2006, 12:37 AM
Start with single-ply polyester stuff - it is legal in all contests except 'raw'. I wouldn't mess with canvas or denim for your first suit or shirt anyway.QFT.

I have only had experience with Inzer equipment, so as far as Inzer goes, I would recommend the following for a first timer: Inzer Heavy Duty Blast Shirt, Inzer Z-Suit or Inzer Champion, Inzer Z Wraps (knee and wrist). These shouldn't break you financially and if you try them and like them, there are a ton of different suits and shirts you could progress to.
I know diddly about squat suits, but I have to disagree with the choice of an Inzer Blast. Properly sized (not even extremely tight) they are still a bitch to put on, and they give very little extra.

My suggestion would be a Titan Fury or F6. I personally am very pleased with my F6. It is so loose (regular fit and then I went 1 size higher still) I can easily put it on by myself, yet I still got over 100 Lbs out of it after only 3 weeks in it. Also the groove is very forgiving when it's not too tight, so that makes it a good shirt to use for an equipment novice.

Shameless plug: ordered mine from the lovely Priscilla Ribic at www.plgearonline.com and it was delivered only 5 days later. In Europe!

DNL
06-30-2006, 01:17 PM
you should have seen the video of how sensei puts on his suit.

Sensei
07-01-2006, 12:11 AM
you should have seen the video of how sensei puts on his suit.
Hey man! I don't put my suit on that way generally... I was showing Kevin how to do it without suit slippers.

edit: Nevermind... Defending myself makes it sound even more pathetic...

DNL
07-01-2006, 01:34 AM
hahaha i wasn't putting you down or making fun of you. The video was informative though. Should have been a sticky man "Getting in your Suit 101" =)

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Definitely, get all Inzer Powerlifting equipment.

Since you are a beginner, I recommend:

Bench shirt: http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=04_EHPHD_BL

Squat Suit: http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=03_CHAMPION

J.T. HALL

JustinASU
07-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Hey man! I don't put my suit on that way generally... I was showing Kevin how to do it without suit slippers.

edit: Nevermind... Defending myself makes it sound even more pathetic...

Out of curiosity, where is this video posted?

Sensei
07-05-2006, 11:46 AM
How to Put on a Squat Suit w. Plastic Bags:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKYo219t58

Guido
07-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Definitely, get all Inzer Powerlifting equipment.

Since you are a beginner, I recommend:

Bench shirt: http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=04_EHPHD_BL

Squat Suit: http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=03_CHAMPION

J.T. HALLI would not recommend ordering directly from Inzer for any gear. I ordered a belt from them and it took 3 calls and over a month to finally get it!!!

I'm with Wayne and phreak. My whole PL team pretty much uses Titan gear from Ken Anderson. I've also ordered stuff from Priscilla Ribic as one person mentioned. They were both very quick and had friendly service. They can also answer any questions you may have about the gear.

Sensei
07-05-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm not disagreeing w. you about Titan gear Guido, but I've NEVER had any customer service issues with Inzer.

waynedang
07-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I think any of the blast type shirts are a waste of money. you can get a Rage, Rage x or Fury or F6 even a denim for not much more money. Most of the new guys that come to our gym start in a fairly tight F6. If you don't have people around to help you learn get it a little big and you will still get more out of it than a blast.

I never had a problem ordering from Inzer but I knew what I wanted. I think if you are unsure of size or fit go through a dealer. With the Titan stuff go through a dealer for sure.

Wayne

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-06-2006, 05:54 AM
I have been with Inzer for more than 6 years and have never had a problem with their customer service.

The number 1 squat, bench press & deadlift have been done in Inzer Gear!

J.T. HALL

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-06-2006, 05:57 AM
The all time best...

SQUAT

Jeff Lewis @ 1212

Bench Press

Mendy @ 1008

DEADLIFT

Andy Bolton @ 971

Total

Gary Franks @ 2800

BEST lifter of all time.

Ed Coan!

So, what do all these Number one all time lifts have in common?

JUST ONE THING ! INZER !

This is no coincidence, just by design. Once again, it simple shows to be the very best, lift in the very best!

J.T. HALL

Paul Stagg
07-06-2006, 08:47 AM
I see. So all the training, drugs, nutrition, mental attitude, and hard work, well that means nothing. It's all the Inzer gear.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Numbers don't lie!

If you want the big numbers, use the best equipment! http://www.inzernet.com/

I use AtLargeNutrition products and it helps a lot too.
http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition.php

J.T. HALL

Paul Stagg
07-06-2006, 09:05 AM
I use At large products, and Inzer gear, too.

Why don't I squat 1000?

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Not everybody is going to squat 1000, bench press 1000 & deadlift almost 1000.

J.T. HALL

Paul Stagg
07-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Even with Inzer equipment? I'm confused. You said it was because of the equipment.

So why would the people you listed be so successful with Inzer equipment, and I not?

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Yes, great lifters use great equipment.

It takes time to get use to the equipment.

What is your goal?

Have you tried switching your routine, training with experience equipment lifters,etc?

How much do you squat, bp & dl?

What's your bodyweight?

J.T. HALL

Paul Stagg
07-06-2006, 11:15 AM
I appreciate your post, but you missed my point.

You said:

So, what do all these Number one all time lifts have in common?

JUST ONE THING ! INZER !

This is no coincidence, just by design. Once again, it simple shows to be the very best, lift in the very best!

Now, if they all have just one thing in common, and *I* have that one thing in common, why don't I have the same numbers?

Could it be they have more than one thing in common?

I'm glad you like Inzer gear. Instead of trying to tell me that Inzer is the best because of who uses Inzer, tell me why they are the best because of their product, and how it differs from their competition.

Sensei
07-06-2006, 11:32 AM
I see. So all the training, drugs, nutrition, mental attitude, and hard work, well that means nothing. It's all the Inzer gear.
Paul, that's not relevant. Training, drugs, nutrition, and hard work are something all the elite have in common... Not everyone uses the same equipment. J.T.'s just voicing his opinion on equipment...

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
07-06-2006, 12:41 PM
I don't think I missed your point.

There could be many reasons why you don't squat, bp & dl 1000pds.

One of the many reasons is that not everybody will squat, bp & dl 1000pds because of the odds. Almost like playing the lottery.

I will never squat, bp & dl 1000pds in this life time.

I never said you'll squat, bp & dl 1000pd using Inzer equipment, but it will increase your numbers significantly.

For example: Scott M. bench press 1008 in equipment, but benches around 715 without equipment.

Again, it takes time to master equipment and look @ your own program for weakness.

J.T. HALL

TommyBoy
07-06-2006, 05:48 PM
I see there's a lot of Inzer talk here, but don't forget about Metal. Metal gear is very high quality and easy to use. Even if you're a beginner, call up Elite Fitness Systems and they'll help you out with any gear you need. I've been using Metal for a while now and I wouln't have it any other way. I've dealt with both Inzer and Titan and their customer service is exactly like their gear: average. Go with Metal, you'll be glad you did.

Cheers,

TommyBoy

Chris Rodgers
07-06-2006, 06:17 PM
I thought that Lewis was wearing a Titan suit?

And doesn't Bolton use Metal Gear?

Unless they recently switched, I think you are mistaken.

That being said, I think there is a lot of good equipment out there these days. I currently squat in Metal/Inzer combo, bench in Karins denim and pull in a bunch of combos(Metal, Inzer, Karins, Titan). I think you have to experiment and see what works for you and your budget.

TommyBoy
07-06-2006, 07:01 PM
I thought that Lewis was wearing a Titan suit?

And doesn't Bolton use Metal Gear?

Unless they recently switched, I think you are mistaken.

Sorry bro, I think you misunderstood me. First off, those guys could wear anything and still be on top. I'm basically saying that as far as gear performance + customer service goes, Metal is the king. I've had way too many problems with the other companies.

waynedang
07-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Sorry bro, I think you misunderstood me. First off, those guys could wear anything and still be on top. I'm basically saying that as far as gear performance + customer service goes, Metal is the king. I've had way too many problems with the other companies.

You are also not dealing with Metal you are dealing with a distributor. The service with Titan sucks but the dealers like Ken and Priscilla rock Inzer customer service sucks but people like Brent Mikesell rock. That is what makes a difference.

You must find what works for you. Inzer sponsers alot of big name lifters so of course they have big numbers. those lifters all say that Inzer gear is the best partly because of the money and free gear. If they gave me free gear I would say they were the best also. I have used a blast or 2 a single denim, double denim, standard cut, radical cut, Rage X, Fury, F6, single and double, and now the Katana they all worked different. The only shirt that I have not tried that I want to is a Karins and that is next. I guess what I am saying is listen to the people who buy there own gear and try as many as you can then make a choice on what works for you.

Wayne

When I was a kid I had some Nike Air Jordans and try as I might I could never dunk a Bball .Then I got some addidas and guess what I still could not dunk a ball. But by god watch the adds and you would have thought I should jump out of the gym . It is the same with PL gear. I would bet every thing I own that if Jordan wore flip flops and I had some fancy shoes that cost to much he would still kick my ass at Bball. So to make a short story long you won't bench like mendy if you use the same shirt.

Sensei
07-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Back to the original topic...

I still stand behind what I said - get wraps and a relatively modest suit and shirt. After training in it for a month or so, try them in a meet and see how you like them. You'll probably either be hooked and be looking for better equipment, or you'll hate them and commit yourself to lifting raw.

Paul Stagg
07-07-2006, 07:20 AM
When I was a kid I had some Nike Air Jordans and try as I might I could never dunk a Bball .Then I got some addidas and guess what I still could not dunk a ball. But by god watch the adds and you would have thought I should jump out of the gym . It is the same with PL gear. I would bet every thing I own that if Jordan wore flip flops and I had some fancy shoes that cost to much he would still kick my ass at Bball. So to make a short story long you won't bench like mendy if you use the same shirt.

That's my point. Thank you for making it better than I did.

Chris Rodgers
07-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Tommy- I was talking about NASAKY's post.

TommyBoy
07-09-2006, 10:28 PM
No sweat Chris, it's all good.