PDA

View Full Version : my current routine : any good?

sparky1811
06-27-2006, 02:32 PM
hey people im new to this forum and id like to know if my new routine im tryin out is any good, advise and all oppinions are welcome.

what im tryin to do is ad muscle but try to ad definition aswell so this is what im tryin.i dont want to get too big cus i still enjoy playin football of a sunday.

i do all of these in one week monday to friday

1 month heavy weights : 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps

day 1

incline bench
incline dumbells
flys at slight incline
cables
cant rememer what the machine is called but you hold the bars with ur arms at right angles and pull them in from the side till they meet in the middle (mental block lol)

day 2

lat pull ups
lat machine
bent over row
upright rows
excerise for rear delts(dont know the name for it) basically its on the cables and i cross my arms and hold the grips, and pull them across my body while keeping my arms strait and finish with my arms out at the side

day 3

bumbell curls
hammer curls
barbell curls
preacher curls or concentation curls

tricep pulldowns (rope)
tricep pulldowns ( v bar)
dips or tricep kickback
close grip bench press or single arm pulldowns

day 4

shoulder press (dumbells or bar)
lateral raises to front
lateral raises to side
shrugs
upright row

day 5 (just about to start this)

calf raises
leg extensions
leg curls
squats on machine

month 2 is the same as above but instead of doing 6-8 eps, i do 12 reps

also what i do is twice a week i do my abs and twice a week i do 30 mins of cardio after weights

is this any good or what?

mark:nod:

getfit
06-27-2006, 03:08 PM
why do you squat on a machine?

Built
06-27-2006, 03:20 PM
hey people im new to this forum and id like to know if my new routine im tryin out is any good, advise and all oppinions are welcome.

what im tryin to do is ad muscle but try to ad definition aswell

Pick one. Adding muscle requires extra food. Definition requires LESS food.

so this is what im tryin.i dont want to get too big
That part's simple: don't overeat.

cus i still enjoy playin football of a sunday.

i do all of these in one week monday to friday

1 month heavy weights : 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps

day 1

incline bench
incline dumbells
flys at slight incline
cables
cant rememer what the machine is called but you hold the bars with ur arms at right angles and pull them in from the side till they meet in the middle (mental block lol)

day 2

lat pull ups
lat machine
bent over row
upright rows
excerise for rear delts(dont know the name for it) basically its on the cables and i cross my arms and hold the grips, and pull them across my body while keeping my arms strait and finish with my arms out at the side

No chins?

day 3

bumbell curls
hammer curls
barbell curls
preacher curls or concentation curls

tricep pulldowns (rope)
tricep pulldowns ( v bar)
dips or tricep kickback
close grip bench press or single arm pulldowns

WAAAAY too much direct arm work. Arms don't need their own day.

day 4

shoulder press (dumbells or bar)
lateral raises to front
lateral raises to side
shrugs
upright row

Learn to do deadlifts and you won't need shrugs.

Upright rows are shoulder killers. Ditch 'em.

day 5 (just about to start this)

calf raises
leg extensions
leg curls
squats on machine

Machine squats aren't squats. Sorry.

I don't see chins, deads, RDLs, free squats I DO see WAY too much direct arm and shoulder work.

month 2 is the same as above but instead of doing 6-8 eps, i do 12 reps

also what i do is twice a week i do my abs and twice a week i do 30 mins of cardio after weights
This part's fine, provided the ab work is short and heavy.

is this any good or what?

mark:nod:

What's your diet like?

powerrack
06-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Depending on your strength levels and intensity you might be overtraining. You may want to try a split like this:

Monday: Chest/Biceps
Tuesday: Legs
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Shoulders/Triceps
Friday: Back/Traps
Saturday: Rest
Sunday : Rest

As for gaining muscle and having defination at the same time, that's more diet driven, if you gain some muscle mass from the heavy trianing and end up shedding some fat then of course you'll have a bit more size and have some defination.

Skinny Fat
06-27-2006, 03:23 PM
A lot of guys will tell you upright rows are bad. There's enough good exercises out there, that I just avoid them.

Back exercises use biceps, and shoulder exercises use triceps - putting an arm day after back and before shoulder will probably be hindering your progress.

Squats should always be done free-standing.

Squats and deadlifts are infinitely more important than all the other exercises you're doing.

I hate 'arm days'. Do your arm workout on a day with more important work. You don't need four different types of curls.

powerrack
06-27-2006, 03:39 PM
A lot of guys will tell you upright rows are bad. There's enough good exercises out there, that I just avoid them.

Back exercises use biceps, and shoulder exercises use triceps - putting an arm day after back and before shoulder will probably be hindering your progress.

Squats should always be done free-standing.

Squats and deadlifts are infinitely more important than all the other exercises you're doing.

I hate 'arm days'. Do your arm workout on a day with more important work. You don't need four different types of curls.

I'm down with what skinnyfat says, four different types of curls are useless, and squats and deads are important and are better done with free weights then any machine out there.