PDA

View Full Version : front squats

Natetaco
06-27-2006, 11:01 PM
I was wondering where exactly you put the bar? I was using 185 and had it on my front delts with my hands crossed and it was killing me, i did 2 reps and then just had to stop. Is this the right position or what. Iv also tried it in clean position and thats not that much better as far as pain goes.

Jinkies
06-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Ive tried many ways of holding the bar and most of them are going to cause some pain. The most effective and helpway way you can do it is go from a powerclean to the frontsquat and rep the weight that way; hold it like you would a clean in lockout form and it can help increase your cleans aswell

Natetaco
06-27-2006, 11:28 PM
alright, ill give that way a shot next time. i guess i can kill 2 birds with 1 stone in that method.:clown:

Canadian Crippler
06-28-2006, 04:16 AM
I've used as much as 225lbs for reps and it didn't pain me much more than very slightly (more like uncomfortable).

You have to find the right groove, keep playing around with it. There should be a spot somewhere where it slips in real nice.

You might just need to add some meat to those delts though. They've always been a strongpoint for me so maybe I just have pads so to speak, who knows lol.

Natetaco
06-28-2006, 08:40 AM
haha well maybe ill focus on the delts some more. Yeah when i place it on them, it feels like its digging in right on the bone really, and if i move it forward more its like actually sitting on my anterior head and its hard to keep up. i dunno man ill toy with it some:windup:

Skinny Fat
06-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Personally, the two times I tried with arms crossed in front caused some pretty intense pain - I couldn't get more than a rep in before I had to put that f'er back on the rack. Holding it in clean position, though, only makes me slightly uncomfortable. I do think I'll be trying to find the 'spot' for crossing my arms ultimately, though, because at a certain point the weight's going to be too heavy to let it sit on my fingers.

Dinosaur
06-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Fool around with both. The clean position is harder for me because of an old wrist injury so my right is not as flexible as my left. I normally do cross-armed but now after watching this video of Craig Smith using his straps that way, I'm working on that.

http://www.kiltedthrower.com/video/Fronts.wmv

bill
06-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Impressive!

RedSpikeyThing
06-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Holding the weight in the position after a clean requires a certain ammount of wrist flexibility. It bother me as well, but even after doing them twice I'm better able to position myself. I don't know if it's because of flexibility or technique, but hey it's working!

I normally do cross-armed but now after watching this video of Craig Smith using his straps that way, I'm working on that.

http://www.kiltedthrower.com/video/Fronts.wmv

Ummmm......wow. That's a lot of weight.
I guess you could use a towel for padding as well.

Stackattack
06-28-2006, 03:14 PM
I've done 220 for reps with an arms crossed over grip and it killed me.
I previously didn't have the wrist flexibility to use a clean grip. After relearning the movement from scratch with a clean grip, i actually find this way much more comfortable aswell as being able to keep my torso more upright.

DNL
06-28-2006, 03:15 PM
You have to find the right groove, keep playing around with it. There should be a spot somewhere where it slips in real nice.

Hahahaha may be i'm just thinking dirty.

Natetaco
06-28-2006, 04:11 PM
hahahahhaha i just noticed that too:D

Gutz981
06-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Anyone else have balance problems when doing these? I would really like to incorperate them in my routine. But I seem to have trouble keeping on my heels. Suggesitons?

SkinnySadMan
06-28-2006, 09:10 PM
WHen I do these it seems like my stomach is the weak link and causes me to drift forward.

Jinkies
06-28-2006, 10:25 PM
That video of that guy is amazing and his form works for him if you are simply a powerlifter type lifter. For those who have interests in the things olympic lifts have to offer need to frontsquat the clean way, it will help improve flexablity over time and offers more; however theres no reason to waste time doing this motion if you dont intend to carry it over to powercleans

DokterVet
06-28-2006, 10:34 PM
I've actually been doing front squats in place of back squats for a while now because I struggled with form on back squats. Front squats allow me to stay upright and keep my back arched much easier.

I use the arm crossing method of holding the bar. With 200 pounds it is not uncomfortable at all.

Jinkies
06-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Front squats from secondary after back squats, you should really work on those before anything, they offer much more results. Back works the quad while front is more of a glute exercise

Natetaco
06-28-2006, 11:53 PM
I thought front squats since on the front of your body require more quad isolation so therefor more quad work than back squats? not sure

DNL
06-29-2006, 12:45 AM
Back works the quad while front is more of a glute exercise

haha never heard anyone said to do front squat to get bigger glutes before

Saint Patrick
06-29-2006, 12:56 AM
I think he got it backwards.

Jinkies
06-29-2006, 12:59 AM
yeah, switch those around :)

JustLost
06-29-2006, 06:02 AM
I think he got it backwards.

That's because he got it backwards.

;)

JustLost
06-29-2006, 06:05 AM
I've actually been doing front squats in place of back squats for a while now because I struggled with form on back squats. Front squats allow me to stay upright and keep my back arched much easier.

I use the arm crossing method of holding the bar. With 200 pounds it is not uncomfortable at all.

I've found that doing front squats has helped my back squat form...

and doing power cleans has helped my front squat form.

There's some sort of lesson in there somewhere, but I dont think I'v elearned it yet.

Dinosaur
06-29-2006, 04:17 PM
That video of that guy is amazing and his form works for him if you are simply a powerlifter type lifter. For those who have interests in the things olympic lifts have to offer need to frontsquat the clean way, it will help improve flexablity over time and offers more; however theres no reason to waste time doing this motion if you dont intend to carry it over to powercleans

Craig Smith is awesome. That was the first time he did front squats I think, he normally does Zercher squats.

http://www.kiltedthrower.com/video/585.wmv

Most people here aren't O-lifters though, and if they were they'd probably have a good coach to help them out, so I didn't worry too much about that.