PDA

View Full Version : Trying to filter out incorrect information

Fletchy
06-28-2006, 01:25 AM
Hey guys I've been doing alot of reading over the past couple of weeks from many different sources to try and determine a diet plan.

My aim is basically to put on alot of muscle/mass (in the shortest time possible, even though yes I know it does take alot of time) due to the fact that I am so skinny right now and I've always wanted to get into lifting. However, every place tells me different things ranging from:

- 1-2 grams of protein per pound bodyweight (the difference between 1g and 2g in this is HUGE)
- 1.5g - 3g x my bodyweight in pounds of carbs.

I am:

- 19 years old
- 5' 11"
- about 125-130 pounds

I know you are all really smart so I'd appreciate it if you could direct me in the correct direction as to how much I should be eating per day, and maybe even some guidance on the foods that work best (again, this varied from many of the places I looked at)

Thank you so much.

P.S. Is that Anthony Ellis program any good? Judging by his results Id really wanna follow that but then again it could just be bogus (I can get a free copy of his book so if it is a worthwhile program could be worth a try)

Built
06-28-2006, 01:58 AM
Bulking: track what you're eating. Protein min 1g/lb LBM, fat minimum 0.5g/lb lbm.

If you don't gain at least a pound a week, add an additional 500 calories to your day.

Try Baby Got Back for your lifting split.

Goodluck, and welcome to the board. :)

motoko013
06-28-2006, 04:17 AM
yea....baby got back...and eat....everything.....seriously

Fletchy
06-28-2006, 04:44 AM
Is it bad to go near or just over the 2g protein line because I find that I get hungry if I don't consume this amount of food (I tested)

What about carbs?

thanks for the warm welcome :)

JustLost
06-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Is it bad to go near or just over the 2g protein line because I find that I get hungry if I don't consume this amount of food (I tested)

You should be fine, assuming that your kidneys are in good shape and you drink enough water.

One thing about all the conflicting advice -- all the numbers are just starting points anyway; each individual has to find what's optimal for them by trial and error.

Aslin
06-28-2006, 11:01 AM
what about fat? is it really necessary to consume however many grams of fat per day?

really i guess its only important to consume protein, aslong as you feel good throughout the day you dont need to eat too many carbs.

Built
06-28-2006, 12:31 PM
You need your fats. Fat is an essential macronutrient.

Fletchy
06-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah I drink about 10 glasses on average of water a day so I think that should be okay. (dont drink alcohol or smoke either)

Few more questions and I think I should be good to start for now :D

When you say 0.5g/lb of fat is that from EFAs or fat from like cheese and egg yolk (or both)

And, is it wrong to eat 60-80g of carbs 4 out of 6 meals a day (the other 2 around 30g)? (sometimes Id get hungry without it, but I havent really tested so I'm not sure just going to get prior clarification)

And should there be higher protein in the meals both pre and post workout or just post and the pre workout meal should be higher in carbs for energy?

Thanks once again :)

Built
06-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Yeah I drink about 10 glasses on average of water a day so I think that should be okay. (dont drink alcohol or smoke either)

Few more questions and I think I should be good to start for now :D

When you say 0.5g/lb of fat is that from EFAs or fat from like cheese and egg yolk (or both)

In total. I take 10g fish oil daily, plus whatever's in egg yolk, butter, nuts, avocados, olive oil...

And, is it wrong to eat 60-80g of carbs 4 out of 6 meals a day (the other 2 around 30g)? (sometimes Id get hungry without it, but I havent really tested so I'm not sure just going to get prior clarification)
Nope. Fill yer boots. :)

And should there be higher protein in the meals both pre and post workout or just post and the pre workout meal should be higher in carbs for energy?

Thanks once again :)

Just concentrate the carbs into those meals if you're limiting them. I spread protein out evenly through the day.

Holto
06-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah I drink about 10 glasses on average of water a day

Just make sure you know what you are getting.

So measure your glasses or get a Nalgene that is labeled.

radioheadhead
06-29-2006, 02:45 PM
take a few days and really look around this site, it is very helpful. I am 28, 6'0", and started at 150 lb. about 4 months ago. I am up to 167 and looking better, this is the first time I have ever gotten lifting to "work". Diet is SOOOOOOOOO important, track your cals, and EAT EAT EAT.

Fletchy
06-29-2006, 07:28 PM
Ok sweet I think I've got enough info to get started, Ill post again in a little while (where?) about any weight/strength gains.

My protein powder just came in the mail I'm sooooo exited :D

Thanks heaps :)

Built
06-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Start a gym log and post it up there.

Have fun!