PDA

View Full Version : diet..

JSully
06-28-2006, 06:04 PM
this one goes out to the diet guru's...

I'm training for boxing and I'm also hitting the weights. I box 5 days a week and 4 of those 5 I do weights as well. That gives me one day off between the weights (2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off) and both weekend days to myself.

My trainer told me my diet should consist of:

1.5-2g/lb of protein
1.5-2g/lb of carbohydrates
--- add up the total cals of those two, take 10% of it, and that should be my fat cals.

What's everyone think about this. I've been doing it for a few days now and feel the same, I know it's too early to see results.. but I'm just curious as to everyones opinion. Also, what do you suggest I do on the days I don't workout at all. I don't workout saturday or sunday, and sunday is a cheat day.

my carb sources are from either bananas or apples. I have 1-2 with every protien shake. Then a dextrose + protein before boxing, between boxing and weights, and after weights.

anyways, discuss.

Built
06-28-2006, 06:34 PM
this one goes out to the diet guru's...

I'm training for boxing and I'm also hitting the weights. I box 5 days a week and 4 of those 5 I do weights as well. That gives me one day off between the weights (2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off) and both weekend days to myself.

My trainer told me my diet should consist of:

1.5-2g/lb of protein
1.5-2g/lb of carbohydrates
--- add up the total cals of those two, take 10% of it, and that should be my fat cals.

What's everyone think about this. I've been doing it for a few days now and feel the same, I know it's too early to see results.. but I'm just curious as to everyones opinion. Also, what do you suggest I do on the days I don't workout at all. I don't workout saturday or sunday, and sunday is a cheat day.

my carb sources are from either bananas or apples. I have 1-2 with every protien shake. Then a dextrose + protein before boxing, between boxing and weights, and after weights.

anyways, discuss.
I weigh 140, with 115 lbs LBM.
Let's work out the example:

If I did this with 2g protein and carb per pound, this would be my diet:

280g protein
280g carb
25g fat
2464 calories. (just about my maintenance level, maybe slightly higher)

The "completely meaningless ratios" would be
45% protein
45% carb
9% fat

This works out to 2.4g protein per pound LBM, and about 0.2g/lb LBM for fat. In other words, about DOUBLE the protein I need, and less than half the fat I need.

I realize assisted athletes don't require as much fat, but I don't see how or why anyone would want to eat such insanely low fats and such ridiculously high protein - there's no need for either of these.

Up to you. I don't see any possible advantage.