PDA

View Full Version : UnderEating/Weightlifting/Cardio

Spartan_11
06-28-2006, 08:12 PM
Just a little background so you guys can answer my question. I am 5'9" 194 about 12% (Goal 8%). I have lifted a long time, never ate clean (not horrible either),therefore I have always carried extra body fat around. Well, I have decided to clean it up and try and get lean, while not losing to much. My current diet is 40/40/20 and I am eating good if I get 2400 calories. All these cals are quality proteins, fat (mono/poly), carbs (fiberous, whole wheats). I keep tally on FitDay.com. Before I started to track diet daily, I wasn't eating this much, but still stayed fat. I train 6 days/week, with cardio 5 days/week. I train pretty hard (100+ db's aren't strangers).

Sorry so long winded, on to the questions. Since you can see my calories are way to low, do you think cardio could be determental to my overall progress? I am trying to cut, so I mentally can't get rid of cardio. I just don't want to lose to much strength and I am not looking to drop 20 pounds of fat in 3 weeks, more like 3 years. Will lifting hard get me enough calorie burn or should I stick with added cardio?

Thanks for the help!

MagnaSephiroth
06-28-2006, 09:19 PM
I also liked to run, so I heard running/cardio 1-2 times a week on off days or AFTER weightlifting is ok.

Built
06-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Spartan,

Dietary ratios are an outdated and flawed model upon which to base a diet. And cardio won't lean you out - that happens when you drop calories and somehow convince your body to hang onto LBM (ie lifting in short, heavy sets).

Read the cutting link in my sig for help structuring a cutting diet. What's your lifting looking like currently?

Spartan_11
06-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Built-

I usually train each group once a week on their own day, so lifting 6 days a week, with cardio on 5 of those days. I have one day completely off. I typically train pretty heavy with lower reps for most exercises, but might throw something higher rep at the end of a workout.

Thanks

Built
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Describe your split, rep range ...

Spartan_11
06-29-2006, 09:11 PM
D1 - Chest - 4-12
D2 - Back - 8-12
D3 - Quads 15-20, Hams 15-20, Calves 15-30
D4 - Shoulders - 6-12
D5 - Triceps - 6-12
D6 - Biceps - 6-12

Rep range depends on exercise, but thats the gist

Built
06-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Okay, your rep range and volume are WAY too high for cutting.

On a cut, you basically turn into a powerlifter - short heavy sets. "High reps for cutting" is one of those unfortunate myths that simply refuses to die.

Read this:http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=214rip2