PDA

View Full Version : Zercher Squats

Jinkies
06-29-2006, 05:08 PM
How did I go so long without ever hearing this movement? Im thinking of adding 3 sets of 10 zercher squats to my leg day. Anyone have any results from this, heres my leg day routine

Squat (posting sets not weights)
10 warmup
10 warmup
5 light
5 light
3 heavy
2 heavy
1 +5 then my last set of 1

Frontsquats
1x10
1x8
2x5

SLDL
1x10 warmup
3x10 working sets

Zercher
3x10 ( till i adjust to the lift)

Calfs
5x10

I think that would be okay concidering I dont lift but every 5 days but needed advice on that routine if I were to add zerchers in, I hear they are helpfull and might help me squats in the long run

clawhammer_33
06-29-2006, 05:29 PM
zerchers kick ass, you can look forward to cut up bis and forearms......

Jinkies
06-29-2006, 05:44 PM
I think they will compliment my scarred shins from deadlifting

Gutz981
06-29-2006, 05:57 PM
**** I'mma start doin them. Looks like it might help with some strongman style of training which I am planning on getting into soon.

Stumprrp
06-29-2006, 06:00 PM
**** I'mma start doin them. Looks like it might help with some strongman style of training which I am planning on getting into soon.

WTF!!! :D

how are these performed?

Jinkies
06-29-2006, 11:26 PM
I recently saw them on a video of the frontsquat thread, this guy looked like a badass doing them so i searched them, pretty much you put the bar on the opposite side of ur elbow( if that makes sense) and squat then lock out like a deadlift.

Figured its worth a try, always lookin for new workouts

getfit
06-30-2006, 03:46 AM
WTF!!! :D

how are these performed?
scroll down

http://www.ironworkout.com/leg_workout.htm

Stumprrp
06-30-2006, 05:22 AM
thx

Goodwinm
06-30-2006, 08:08 AM
these look likemurder!
I wont be able to do them until i get a squatrack... (what a shame)

Dinosaur
06-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Zercher squats are a lot of fun. It's going to be a lot of pressure on your elbows at first though, so be gradual in your weight increases. I do mine with a 2" thickbar and it's a lot more comfortable that way.

JustLost
06-30-2006, 09:49 AM
these look likemurder!
I wont be able to do them until i get a squatrack... (what a shame)

The original Zercher lift combined a deadlift and a squat

Foot spacing is optional on the preliminary and primary movements. The barbell will be deadlifted to the knees and balanced thereon. The lifter will then assume a position in which he/she can secure the barbell in the crook of the elbows and, at the lifter's discretion, stand erect with the weight fixed at the articulation of the upper and lower arm, ie, the elbow. The legs must be straight, the body erect, and shoulder square to complete the lift. The lifter's arms may be inside or outside the legs. The bar must be followed in it's return to the platform. Dropping from above the knees is a disqualification. The only official's signal will be to complete the lift.

I've done them that way just a few times -- it's a pretty challenging lift, and a greta change of pace.

One thing that makes them a bit less painful is to use a thick barbell -- it won't dig into your arms as badly.

Goodwinm
06-30-2006, 11:19 AM
What!? how on earth does that work. how the hell do u put in the crook of ur elbows from a DL posotion?

JustLost
06-30-2006, 12:43 PM
What!? how on earth does that work. how the hell do u put in the crook of ur elbows from a DL posotion?

What I do is squat down, letting the bar rest on my thighs just above the knees, then slip my arms under the bar and stand up with it. It takes a little practice, but once you actually try it it makes a little more sense.

Chris Rodgers
07-04-2006, 02:03 PM
I've done them off pins, walked out from a squat rack and also from the floor. By far off the floor is the hardest. I think my best like that is 290 or so. They are all very brutal. For me, the amount of weight I can keep in my arms is usually lower than what I can rep. So, I haven't done them much lately.

bill
07-04-2006, 03:12 PM
I tried them some, but like Chris said the wt you can use gets tough.

JustLost
07-04-2006, 03:19 PM
I've done them off pins, walked out from a squat rack and also from the floor. By far off the floor is the hardest. I think my best like that is 290 or so. They are all very brutal. For me, the amount of weight I can keep in my arms is usually lower than what I can rep. So, I haven't done them much lately.

290 off the floor is impressive.

It seems that they'd have a lot of carryover to stonelifting. I haven't pursued it much so far because I'm in a defatassing mode, and basically lifting to maintain.

Jinkies
07-04-2006, 05:39 PM
I only went up to 225 my first time doing them (lastweek) very tough on the arms just holding the weight, cant see myself ever really working my legs out If I cant use heavy enough weight

Dinosaur
07-04-2006, 05:44 PM
I do mine off the floor, I used to do them from the rack so I could use more, but now I'm doing them from the floor. Can't do 325 like I used to, but it'll go up.

I think it has some decent carryover to stones, I managed to nail a 225 stone once my technique got better. Stones is a lot of technique.

TOBART
07-04-2006, 08:18 PM
I did zercher squats for a while last year. Yeah, they kill your forearms and biceps; especially when you first start doing them. I found I could progress by 5-10 pounds every week just because I was able to tolerate the arm pain more and more. I think my best was 245 x 8 @ 140lbs bodyweight then I just stopped.

My tips for these:
-Don't use any kind of padding on the bar, its too hard to keep in one spot and you're really just being a pussy
-try to keep the rep range low, in the 4-8 range, this way you'll be able to use more weight for less time = less arm pain
-use chalk on your forearms and elbow pits to help with grip

TommyBoy
07-06-2006, 05:35 PM
From a powerlifting standpoint these will really bring up your deadlift. I use them in my ME rotation and just do heavy singles. I also do them walked out and from a bottom position sitting on the pins. Love these.

Cheers,

TommyBoy

Adam
07-08-2006, 09:10 PM
My tips for these:
-Don't use any kind of padding on the bar, its too hard to keep in one spot and you're really just being a pussy
-try to keep the rep range low, in the 4-8 range, this way you'll be able to use more weight for less time = less arm pain

:withstupi
I definately agree with those tips!
Addind padding or a towel actually will cause a lot more pain as you increase in weight.

Jinkies
07-09-2006, 06:35 PM
I can't stress how much im loving this lift, just did it for the 2nd time today and although it hurts it feels great. I started pulling off the floor but once I got passed 225 I couldnt so I put it on the pins.
My best was 315x5 elbows touching knees then going up, got me bloody but no pain no gain.