PDA

View Full Version : Westside ME+DE ok???

jampsifit
06-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey whats up people. I was wondering, would it be ok to do Strength+Speed on the same day? Here is general outlook on my routine for the main lifts:

week 1

Mon: 1a- Strength: Floor Deadlift, Speed: 1-handed Db snatch
Wed: 1b- Neither (but i'd do other lifts)
Fri: 2a- Strength: Behind neck Jerk, Speed Sumo deads

week 2

Mon: 2b- Strength: BAck squat
Wed: 3a- Strength: Hang clean high pulls, Speed: Close grip floor bench press
Fri: 3b- Speed: Box squats

Then i just repeat this same cycle for week 3. I'd run this for about 6-8 weeks then take a break (cruise workouts) to let my cns recoup among other things....

So can you guys please let me know what you think of the idea of doing both Strength+Speed on the same day. Thanx a lot, lata...

Paul Stagg
06-30-2006, 09:37 PM
What are you trying to acomplish?

Dont make things more complicated than they need to be.

jampsifit
06-30-2006, 09:47 PM
To improve my speed-strength (power), strength-speed, and maximal strength. So basically to get stronger in various strength aspects and then later use that strength in combat sports (carry over). This is kinda like the conjugate style.

Speed-Strength: All speed lifts
Maximal strength: Floor deadlift & Backsquat (w/manta ray instead of saftey bar)
Strength-Speed: Behind neck Jerk & Hang clean high pulls

greathuskie
06-30-2006, 11:32 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=81607

try this, only instead of deadlifts on day 3 do rack pulls

just an idea. dont do it for a long period of time, like more then 6 weeks. im doing for 4 then cycling off of it.

jampsifit
07-01-2006, 12:07 AM
Hey how long have you been doing that one? Do you ever feel burnt towards the end of the workout? And how many days a week are you lifting...4? It looks pretty good.

greathuskie
07-01-2006, 09:32 AM
right now im lifting all 4 days a week. i am going to calm it down and change it to 3 instead of cycle off of it, drop one day each week, a different day each week.

drew
07-01-2006, 10:51 AM
I don't like it at all. You're going to end up sacrificing one or the other. If you want to do a 3-day split, try this one (exactly as outlined from the EFS template manual):

Week 1:
Day 1: DE bench
Day 2: ME Sq/D
Day 3: ME bench
Week 2:
Day 1: DE Sq/D
Day 2: DE bench
Day 3: ME Sq/D
Week 3:
Day 1: ME bench
Day 2: DE Sq/D
Day 3: DE bench

What movements you do on those days is up to you and what your goals are.

D Breyer
07-01-2006, 11:51 AM
If you haven't already I suggest you look at the T-Mag articles over at Elite FTS: http://www.elitefts.com/articles/T-Mag-Articles/default.asp

Specifically: The Eight Keys and The Periodization Bible

drew recommended that I read these a few weeks back, they're among the most informative articles I've ever read on Westside Training. Happy Reading :)

greathuskie
07-02-2006, 12:30 AM
I don't like it at all. You're going to end up sacrificing one or the other. If you want to do a 3-day split, try this one (exactly as outlined from the EFS template manual):

Week 1:
Day 1: DE bench
Day 2: ME Sq/D
Day 3: ME bench
Week 2:
Day 1: DE Sq/D
Day 2: DE bench
Day 3: ME Sq/D
Week 3:
Day 1: ME bench
Day 2: DE Sq/D
Day 3: DE bench

What movements you do on those days is up to you and what your goals are.

thats basically the same thing im doing, except im adding on a lift thats just as important (OH press), and getting ME and DE for each lift in every week. like i said though, i dont think i could handle doing all 4 days for more then a few weeks, at which point im going to drop a different day each week.

Clifford Gillmore
07-02-2006, 05:52 AM
I'm not sure if its been mentioned, or even written elsewhere; I like to use my speed days/DE days as a form of active recovery, but the way I'm looking into it now I will require a session of 'pre-hab' every second ME session.

jampsifit
07-03-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure if its been mentioned, or even written elsewhere; I like to use my speed days/DE days as a form of active recovery, but the way I'm looking into it now I will require a session of 'pre-hab' every second ME session.

I think that is what westside had in mind for the speed days. But don't they train 5x/week or is it 4? I also do pre-hab stuff. I do those every sunday. And my active recovery is GPP on the off days.

But anyways, i will only be lifting 3x/week so i think that i'll be getting in enough recovery, Plus im doing various things to aide my recovery for instance: hot epsom salt baths, ice cold baths, contrast showers, deep tissue sports massage, foam roller, and 2 others it hink. So i don't think recovery would be a big of an issue for me.

And about the sacrificing part, i don't think i'd sacrifice that much since the ME would be the very first and then the DE would be after or somewhere in the middle. Also the DE is gonna be about 50-60% of my max.... How tuff is that gonna be with only 1-3 reps. I THINK it would be tuff if i was out of shape though, thus necessitating more rest time for recovery (like instead of 1 min it would be 2-3 at the most).

edit: by the way d bryer i've partially read the 8 keys, and i've jus started reading up on things relating to the conjugate method.