PDA

View Full Version : help with using protein

DHSBigD03
06-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Im not sure if this is in the right part of the forum or not, but i was wondering, how do i find my "lbm" so i know how much protein i should be taking in every day?

KingWilder
06-30-2006, 09:48 PM
(weight) - (weight x body fat %) = LBM

ex.
200lbs, 10% bf

(200) - (200 x .10)
200-20 = 180lb LBM

DHSBigD03
06-30-2006, 10:00 PM
alright..im at 180 lbm...so how much protein should i be taking every day?

ddegroff
06-30-2006, 10:04 PM
atleast 180g of protein

DHSBigD03
06-30-2006, 10:08 PM
jeese...alright..well i guess im goin food shopping tomorow, what specific foods should i get that will help me increase strenght?

powerrack
07-01-2006, 12:51 AM
jeese...alright..well i guess im goin food shopping tomorow, what specific foods should i get that will help me increase strenght?

How old are you buddy? Anyways if your trying to gain strength still got to have a good solid nutrition plan, but b/c your not trying to lean out do not turn it into some sorta low cal, low carb cutting plan. 180 grams of protein would be your minimum, you could even go higher then that if your training very heavy and pushing yourself consistently you will need it.

Some good foods that help out in general to support heavy lifting, in my opinion, which most of us know already but will post a few anyways:

-Eggs
-Milk
-Lean Beef (i like extra lean ground beef)
-Tuna and other fish
-Turkey slices (great for making some big ass sandwhiches for work or school)
-Chicken
-Cottage cheese
-Oatmeal
-Rice
-Potatoes
-Natural Peanut Butter
-Almonds, Walnuts and other nuts (go with plain non salted nuts)
-Fruits and veggies
-Shakes (not a big weight gainer fan (useless sugars), but buy some sort of basic protein powder, add in things like natural peanut butter,bananas for extra calories if you need it)

So everyone knows these are good whole foods that most of us eat who are serious about what we do. It does matter where you get your calories from, eating healthy, nutrient dense foods is important when training hard and heavy, you need it to recover properly and to fuel your workouts.

For gaining strength and power I make sure I'm always fueled and that my body is getting a surplus of nutrients/calories. Good meal choices are things like rice with lean ground beef and veggies, potatoes and chicken, cottage cheese and yogurt. Just basically make food fun, you don't have to worry about low carb,etc so just eat well and break down the meals so you can get the protein in easily so so you decide to aim for 200 grams a day try for 40 grams a meal for 5 meals a day and you should do fine.

DHSBigD03
07-01-2006, 10:26 AM
thanks alot man..by the way..im 15

DHSBigD03
07-01-2006, 10:46 AM
should i be eating like this every day including the days i dont lift? cause i work out monday - friday, but run monday-saterday.

MagnaSephiroth
07-01-2006, 11:14 AM
should i be eating like this every day including the days i dont lift? cause i work out monday - friday, but run monday-saterday.

You have a long way to go in terms of having a body building diet. Yes eat it everyday, and cut back on running a lot.

Unreal
07-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Read the stickies. This is all covered. Read the what a body builder eats thread. That is a shopping list of what to buy.

The best food to add strength/muscle is the one with calories. Eat eat eat.