PDA

View Full Version : Too much milk?

D Breyer
07-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Hello everyone,

I drink an average of about a gallon of skim milk every day, and sometimes drink a gallon and a half to two gallons (we get it delivered by the milk man every 3 days). My parents say that it is extremely unhealthy to be drinking that much milk. My dad even goes as far as telling me that it will make me fat, give me acne, and hurt my athletic proformance.

I did the math and I'm getting about 2000+ calories from milk, and I try and keep my daily calories at 3000 (maintenance). My other calories come from various carbohydrate, protein, and healthy fat sources. I eat pretty cleanly.

Is getting 2/3 of my calories from milk detrimental to my health?

offhegoes03
07-01-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't think it's bad to get that many cals from milk, but I think the only concerns would be:
a.) Kidney stones.. not sure how much milk is too much milk as far as developing these bastards
b.) Fiber.. all liquid diets aren't the best if you don't supplement with fiber. If you're getting this in your other cals, then I'd say there's not too much wrong.

I only drink about a half a gallon of whole milk a day, so I would be interested in hearing if other people know how much milk is too much.

Stray
07-01-2006, 07:06 PM
There's some debate on whether the growth hormones injected in cows are linked to forms of cancer or not (http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/general/milk.htm ) ...thenthere's the gross stuff in milk that doesn't hurt you but still makes you think (see: somatic cell count).

I drink it all the time -but I imagine the moral of the story is too much of anything is bad beyond a certain point* - what that point is, is kind of vague.

* Excluding Krispy Kreme plain glazed donuts.

MagnaSephiroth
07-01-2006, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't drink that much milk. Try to cut down 500 kcals from milk and add it to something else milk related if you want, like cheese.

laxguy1028
07-01-2006, 09:00 PM
:withstupi I would try to cut down your milf consumption by half and get the calories you are losing from that milk from good food.

offhegoes03
07-02-2006, 06:09 AM
:withstupi I would try to cut down your milf consumption by half and get the calories you are losing from that milk from good food.

heh.. milf.. It would be better in increase your milf cosumption and decrease milk consumption :D

Stumprrp
07-02-2006, 06:32 AM
dude i PRAISE milk, its the most natural great drink you can have, but 2 gallons wow thats ALOT LOL!! if your not getting gas and its not hurting i cant see a problem, i drink about 1/2 gallon 1% a day.

clockwork24
07-02-2006, 08:39 PM
hehe yep.. if you drink a lot of milk, you better be getting enough fiber. Some of you guys may remember my constipation post. :bash:

I wasn't really tracking my calories, but I think I didn't eat enough food and fiber.

If I drink anything close to a gallon of milk, I'll make sure its closer to 1/2 of my daily calories...not 2/3. Its not something I would do month after month, regardless of whether it aggravates my bowels. lol

Also take into account how much protein milk has in addition to the protein shakes and food. In my case, all this milk with weight gainer shakes will equal 100s of grams of protein and i'm only 140 pounds. Taking way over 2grams of protein per lb of bodyweight for a long period of time doesn't sound like the best thing in the world. If you're huge though, you can proudly chunk all that down your esophagus.

lifter4life
07-02-2006, 08:50 PM
heh.. milf.. It would be better in increase your milf cosumption and decrease milk consumption :D

hahahaha

gasp for breath.....

anything in moderation my friend....

MagnaSephiroth
07-02-2006, 09:15 PM
So, how long before we see you in those "got milk" ads?

Diomedes
07-03-2006, 03:28 PM
What sort of milk is it?

I aim to drink 2 litres of milk a day, but I make sure to get the yellow-top milk (blue being plain homogenised, green being trim, yellow being calcium and protein fortified). Here in NZ it hardly costs more than the other milks, but it's stats are, per 100mls, 5.8g protein, 0.2g fat, 4.7g carb. I think it's great - 116g of protein a day from a cheap 2 litres of milk.