PDA

View Full Version : Oh how I crave more food

MagnaSephiroth
07-02-2006, 08:04 PM
If many of you remember my earlier posts, I used to eat only 800-1200 calories a day. Always in that range for about 2 months. Why? I was losing weight. Subway, fruits, and just low cal. I even ate proteins as a whole lunch or dinner. Then I wanted to bulk. Stopped running and made sure I ate 1200 calories. In these steps.

Way before: Not counting calories. Ate fast food a lot.
Before: Counted calories and made sure to not eat anything too fatty.
Then: Made sure to eat 1000 cals a day.
-Hover around 800-1200 cals a day.
-Started eating closer to 1200
Currently: Eating up to 1400 cals a day, Usually between 1330-1380.

Boy do I love to eat though. I look foward to meals, even if they are small. In earlier posts, I read to slowly increase my calorie intake to about 200cals a week, which I did, and tomarrow (Monday) I will once again bump it up 200 and will be eatting up to 1600 cals a day. Nearly all 200 of those extra calories will be put into breakfast, which means carbs, because my breakfast is very small cause if I eat a huge breakfast, I end up only having 200-300 calories to work with for both dinner and an evening snack.

Now, I never have to add calories to my food. I always get plenty, in fact I have to cut some things so I don't get too much at this point.
So, am I going to slow, 200 calories a week? I plan to get at least to 2000, and then maybe going up from there.

getfit
07-02-2006, 08:06 PM
1400 calories is alot to you?

Bob
07-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Magna.. you are "a 17 year old male-weigh a bit below 165 pounds-and 5'11"."

1200 calories is way not enough if you want to add some bulk to your frame.. sounds like you are quite skinny.. even if you did start out at over 200 lbs...

If you want to add some muscle... your body should be able to easily handle over 2000 calories..

MagnaSephiroth
07-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Magna.. you are "a 17 year old male-weigh a bit below 165 pounds-and 5'11"."

1200 calories is way not enough if you want to add some bulk to your frame.. sounds like you are quite skinny.. even if you did start out at over 200 lbs...

If you want to add some muscle... your body should be able to easily handle over 2000 calories..

I just dont wanna go too fast, Im in no hurry. My body has been running below 2k cals for about 3-4 months, i dont wanna increase to much at once, might send off alarms

gains2385
07-02-2006, 09:44 PM
well, a reset would be good because your body can go into starvation mode and you can-will become skinny fat like I was when I was about 158 at 5'10"

SuperTerrorizer
07-02-2006, 10:02 PM
I always want to eat more but I can't. Even my Lipo isn't stopping my hunger cravings.

MagnaSephiroth
07-02-2006, 10:32 PM
well, a reset would be good because your body can go into starvation mode and you can-will become skinny fat like I was when I was about 158 at 5'10"

What exactly are you trying to say, i dont quite understand

MagnaSephiroth
07-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Oh boy, well I went to the gym today and weighed myself (I have no scale so it was after both breakfast and a crap) and I weigh about 156-157. Down about 5 or so pounds from 2 weeks ago. Not to mention this was my first week without running 500 calories off everyday. Today is also the first day I'm able to eat 1600 cals. Should I panic or just continue with the +200 cals a week and let time and exercise take me to buffness?

kad
07-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Keep adding more calories. You're eating about half what you should be on a bulk.

MagnaSephiroth
07-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Keep adding more calories. You're eating about half what you should be on a bulk.

So continue with the 200 cals a week? Even though right now im low?

kad
07-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Adding anywhere from 200-500 a week until you start gaining weight should be fine.

MagnaSephiroth
07-03-2006, 05:04 PM
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=MagnaSephiroth

Heres my fitday if you wanna have a look.

kad
07-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Protein is minimal, fats are way low. Have a look at the diet link in Built's signature for all you need to know about how to set up a proper diet, whether bulking or cutting.

Since she hasn't responded to this thread yet, here's the link:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1290352#post1290352

kad
07-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I'd also ditch some of the crappy carbs you have, like the honey toasted cereal and whatever that Skinny Cow thing is. Check out this thread (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565) for what you should be eating. ;)

MagnaSephiroth
07-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Protein is minimal, fats are way low. Have a look at the diet link in Built's signature for all you need to know about how to set up a proper diet, whether bulking or cutting.

Since she hasn't responded to this thread yet, here's the link:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1290352#post1290352

Yeah I saw that, but only 65g of carbs on rest day? Thats sooo hard to do, I eat that many carbs at breakfast. (btw what exactly do carbs do other then provide energy, IE when your are not using your muscles)
EDIT: I see that was using herself an example lol Im stupid.

The fats are way low I know, and I have been working on ways to get em up, and I have made progress in the last week, going from an average of 10g to currently I am hitting high teens low 20's. As soon as I increase by another 200 cals, I will start eating peanuts, so, that should boost my fat consumption up a bit.

kad
07-03-2006, 05:18 PM
The 65g carbs on rest days is more geared to cutting. Carbs would and should be considerably higher on a bulk, imo.

MagnaSephiroth
07-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Just to make sure, I CAN increase safely more then 200 cals a week? Or is that pretty much what I should stick with.

kad
07-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Yeah. Like I said, 200-500 a week is about average. Keep adding until you're gaining 1-2lbs/week.

MagnaSephiroth
07-03-2006, 09:31 PM
I'd also ditch some of the crappy carbs you have, like the honey toasted cereal and whatever that Skinny Cow thing is. Check out this thread (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565) for what you should be eating. ;)

What can I eat for a dessert snack then?

Built
07-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Try blending cottage cheese with a little cocoa and splenda (and brown sugar twin if you have it), and top with some thawed frozen berries. It's really good.

MagnaSephiroth
07-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Try blending cottage cheese with a little cocoa and splenda (and brown sugar twin if you have it), and top with some thawed frozen berries. It's really good.

Arnt carbs, carbs though?

Quattro
07-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Arnt carbs, carbs though?

A few berries wont hurt. Plus their slow digesting and contain fiber so theyll contribute to giving your body something to munch on while you sleep for 8 hours instead of having your hard earned muscle broken down.

MagnaSephiroth
07-03-2006, 09:56 PM
So it is not ideal for carbs to come from fruit, usually, cause if I'm down on carbs, i try to just eat fruit as snacks before bed.

Built
07-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Fruit is fine, but don't eat it alone - eat it with protein or it'll make you hungry. Cottage cheese and fruit is a great bedtime snack.

And berries have VERY few carbs.

MagnaSephiroth
07-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Well lets see, my carbs today came from...

Instant Organic Oatmeal
Skinny Cow Ice cream sandwhich
Oat Cereal
Pasta Triangles
Strawberries/blueberries

The only thing that isnt completely organic basically is the skinny cow.

powerrack
07-03-2006, 10:18 PM
What's your long term goals? Like a few years down the road, do you want to be a power house? Or just looking for an average "athletic" look?

If in a few years you want to be a power house, both big and strong, your over analyzing at the moment. You need to eat more, slowly increase calories and protein. I wouldn't ponder too much over ratios,etc, first get something on you to work with. Your only 17, as stupid and simple and "non-scientific" as it sounds, just train heavy and eat as much quality calories as you can.

MagnaSephiroth
07-03-2006, 10:47 PM
What's your long term goals? Like a few years down the road, do you want to be a power house? Or just looking for an average "athletic" look?

If in a few years you want to be a power house, both big and strong, your over analyzing at the moment. You need to eat more, slowly increase calories and protein. I wouldn't ponder too much over ratios,etc, first get something on you to work with. Your only 17, as stupid and simple and "non-scientific" as it sounds, just train heavy and eat as much quality calories as you can.

Well I am eating at +200 cals a week, so next week I will be up to 1800, then 2000, then 2200 (im sure you can all count from here lol) and Im just gonna try to ratio myself out to the 40-40-20 as close as I can with quality foods. I am doing WBB1 and I am gonna keep doing that, I have no plans of stopping it. I will not eat fast food such as mcdonalds under any circumstance, even cheat days, and I will try to avoid sugar as much as possible (sugarfree gum over normal gum, splenda over sugar)

Down the road? Hmm, well at first my goal was just to lose weight, thats were it all started. I wanted to look thin. Ok, I am thin now, now I want to be muscular, but I do plan to do activities. I am going to start playing lacrosse in a few months, or whenever the season starts. So, I am hoping to have a steady high calorie intake by then because then my schedule will be pretty active with lacrosse practice at least 5 days a week on top of 3 gym weight training days. Hopefully by then I will be eating over 3000 cals a day. So I guess you can say, yeah, I'm warming myself up and getting myself ready for Lacrosse. Am I in a need to bulk 5 pounds of muscle every 2 weeks? No, but I want to gain some muscle from now until the begining of the season, and if I just keep doing what I'm doing, and asking for help when I have a question with quality of food and how much to eat, I think I will achieve what I want.

Its just hard cause everyone is pushing me (not you guys, family) to eat more more more, and believe me, I do, but I want to take it slow, I want to let my body adjust, I want to ease into it, take it nice and slow and enjoy every calorie I eat (well most, sometimes the eggs are gross, but I chug on) Not to mention everyone spreading rumours about me having an eating disorder. It just sucks sometimes. So yeah, my main focus right now, getting my calorie intake up. After I get to where I want, I will start getting preplanned meals with special ratios for everyday and blah blah, but now, Im gonna eat as much protein/carb/fat for my calorie count and continue to eat healthy.

Quattro
07-04-2006, 03:04 AM
Those are very reasonable goals. If you want to try to speed up the process of revving up your metabolism, eat small meals every couple hours. Im sure in a couple months youre body will be burning up much more calories to maintain maintenance levels. You might actually feel a lot better at this point from running on many more calories and feeling satisfied after meals. Im sure it will be a healthier condition to be in than your body being in "calorie conservation mode" at using only 1500 cals per day. Just make sure you add cals accordingly for all the activity youll be getting from the gym and lacrosse. And dont be afraid to add a little fat while your bulking. Youll see the best gains when your BF is above 8% because your body can regulate hormones (like testosterone) much better in this condition.

Nicoman
07-04-2006, 05:56 AM
I would like to find out more about this "RESET" thing you are talking about? How does it work? Is there maybe an article I can read on this subject?

Thanks for the help.....

Davidelmo
07-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Sorry but... time to slap some sense!

Eat MORE. You're 5'11 and 160lbs.. you're already skinny. Eating 2000kcal is probably still UNDER maintenance. Even if you're skinny fat, adding more calories won't hurt unless you aren't doing any weightlifting.

This approach of adding 200kcal per week is crazy. 200kcal is NOTHING. Your body won't even notice. There's no point tracking that accurately because unless you track your daily expenditure of energy (VERY HARD to do) then you still won't be on target. If you want to increase gradually, add 500kcal over a few days. You're not going to suddenly pile on pounds of fat.

Get your calories UP. I'd suggest at LEAST 3000kcal if you want any chance of gaining some muscle.
Get protein UP - shoot for 1g of protein per lb weight.. that's at least 160g a day for you
Get your fats up for gods sake!! 10g a day is unhealthy.. I have no idea in the world why you would take your fats that low. Fats dont make you fat.. and they are ESSENTIAL. They are used to make hormones (including testosterone), store vitamins, they act as messangers, make up your cell membranes etc.. they are IMPORTANT. For your weight, get at least 80g a day. Don't increase by 10g every week either.. just up them.. now!
Carbs.. you seem obsessed with carbs. You say "what.. only 65g of carbs"... you shouldn't give a damn about the total number of carbs... worry more about your protein, fat and calorie intake first.

I know you're obviously trying hard, but I think you're going about it all wrong. If you take the dedication you clearly have already, and then apply the correct principles and knowledge, you should do well.

MagnaSephiroth
07-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Sorry but... time to slap some sense!

Eat MORE. You're 5'11 and 160lbs.. you're already skinny. Eating 2000kcal is probably still UNDER maintenance. Even if you're skinny fat, adding more calories won't hurt unless you aren't doing any weightlifting.

This approach of adding 200kcal per week is crazy. 200kcal is NOTHING. Your body won't even notice. There's no point tracking that accurately because unless you track your daily expenditure of energy (VERY HARD to do) then you still won't be on target. If you want to increase gradually, add 500kcal over a few days. You're not going to suddenly pile on pounds of fat.

Get your calories UP. I'd suggest at LEAST 3000kcal if you want any chance of gaining some muscle.
Get protein UP - shoot for 1g of protein per lb weight.. that's at least 160g a day for you
Get your fats up for gods sake!! 10g a day is unhealthy.. I have no idea in the world why you would take your fats that low. Fats dont make you fat.. and they are ESSENTIAL. They are used to make hormones (including testosterone), store vitamins, they act as messangers, make up your cell membranes etc.. they are IMPORTANT. For your weight, get at least 80g a day. Don't increase by 10g every week either.. just up them.. now!
Carbs.. you seem obsessed with carbs. You say "what.. only 65g of carbs"... you shouldn't give a damn about the total number of carbs... worry more about your protein, fat and calorie intake first.

I know you're obviously trying hard, but I think you're going about it all wrong. If you take the dedication you clearly have already, and then apply the correct principles and knowledge, you should do well.

Fat is hard cause I don't really have a ton of fat filled foods surrounding me. But, should I upgrade my milk from fat free to say, 2% or whole to get my fats up? Maybe eat a half cup of peanuts a day, or something, I dunno the exact numbers. We do have olive oil here, but I dont really know how to add it to my foods, and I cant possibly take it raw lol.

getfit
07-04-2006, 11:49 AM
add olive oil to your veggies,shakes.Eat natty peanut butter,nuts,avocados.

kad
07-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Olive oil shots aren't that hard to down. Just be sure to use the light stuff, not the extra virgin olive oil, because EVOO has a lot stronger taste to it. Eat more nuts (almonds, walnuts, peanuts, cashews just to name a few), and even some natural peanut butter to increase your fats. 1oz of almonds has about 14g of fat, 2T of natty pb has 16g of fat... as you can see, it really isn't that hard to get adequate fats. I'd recommend shooting for at least 80-90g fat per day.

edit: getfit beat me to it :(

MagnaSephiroth
07-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Olive oil shots aren't that hard to down. Just be sure to use the light stuff, not the extra virgin olive oil, because EVOO has a lot stronger taste to it. Eat more nuts (almonds, walnuts, peanuts, cashews just to name a few), and even some natural peanut butter to increase your fats. 1oz of almonds has about 14g of fat, 2T of natty pb has 16g of fat... as you can see, it really isn't that hard to get adequate fats. I'd recommend shooting for at least 80-90g fat per day.

edit: getfit beat me to it :(

Natty peanut butter is NOT stuff like jif right? Its usually offbrand?

getfit
07-04-2006, 11:58 AM
no, it's natural peanut butter, if you go to your local supermarket i'm sure you can find some, they have smooth or crunchy.

mix in the oil don't pour it out!

Davidelmo
07-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Fat is hard cause I don't really have a ton of fat filled foods surrounding me. But, should I upgrade my milk from fat free to say, 2% or whole to get my fats up? Maybe eat a half cup of peanuts a day, or something, I dunno the exact numbers. We do have olive oil here, but I dont really know how to add it to my foods, and I cant possibly take it raw lol.

That sounds like a good start!

I regularly take my fats over 200g a day, just to get the calories. I've gained muscle and actually reduced my body fat recently.

Fish oils, olive oil, nuts, seeds etc are great. Add olive oil to salads, or just add it to your shakes.. don't worry, you don't taste it.

Like I said before.. you're off to a better start than most people. I struggled with being meticulous, logging everything and counting calories etc. Since, you have that part sorted, you just need to start eating better to see results!

MagnaSephiroth
07-04-2006, 03:46 PM
That sounds like a good start!

I regularly take my fats over 200g a day, just to get the calories. I've gained muscle and actually reduced my body fat recently.

Fish oils, olive oil, nuts, seeds etc are great. Add olive oil to salads, or just add it to your shakes.. don't worry, you don't taste it.

Like I said before.. you're off to a better start than most people. I struggled with being meticulous, logging everything and counting calories etc. Since, you have that part sorted, you just need to start eating better to see results!

How about adding some olive oil on top of my chicken while I eat it? Yeah its not really mixed, but Im sure it adds flavor

gains2385
07-04-2006, 07:49 PM
I would like to find out more about this "RESET" thing you are talking about? How does it work? Is there maybe an article I can read on this subject?

Thanks for the help.....

Alright, so I could not find any article or support or studies to back up what I said. I guess I was wrong. I had always heard that if you do not eat at a high enough caloric intake, your body would begin to store food in case it did not get anymore. I am sorry that I have no link or proof. Forget I said it.

:whip: