PDA

View Full Version : For those who don't cook

JustLost
07-03-2006, 06:59 AM
I see a lot of threads along the lines of, "Okay, so I bought 10 pounds of chicken breast. Now what the hell do I do with it?"

How many people would be interested in a sort of beginner's cookbook aimed at bodybuilding/strength athletes? What kind of stuff would you like to see in ia book like that?

RedSpikeyThing
07-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Cooking in bulk (pardon the pun) would be good. Like making 10 chicken breasts for the week kind of thing. I think a book on how to go about eating more with minimal cooking would be more helpful than a recipe book.

Any other ideas?

JustLost
07-04-2006, 07:14 AM
Cooking in bulk (pardon the pun) would be good. Like making 10 chicken breasts for the week kind of thing. I think a book on how to go about eating more with minimal cooking would be more helpful than a recipe book.

Agreed. As a former professional chef/line cook, I find recipe books mostly silly, and bulk cooking is one of my secrets to avoid working myself to death.

OTOH, a handful of key recipes might be handy for some folks. That's what I'm trying to get a feel for.

McIrish
07-04-2006, 08:57 AM
OP, I've actually thought idly about the same thing - a cookbook aimed at bodybuilders. I'm not sure it's a marketable venture, but find some (healthy) ways to kick up tuna and chicken and you'd have a fun project on your hands, at the very least. I mean, honestly, just because people are bodybuilding/eating really strict and tight diets does *NOT* mean they have to eat crappy plain chicken every night. Gosh no.

JustLost
07-04-2006, 09:59 AM
OP, I've actually thought idly about the same thing - a cookbook aimed at bodybuilders. I'm not sure it's a marketable venture, but find some (healthy) ways to kick up tuna and chicken and you'd have a fun project on your hands, at the very least. I mean, honestly, just because people are bodybuilding/eating really strict and tight diets does *NOT* mean they have to eat crappy plain chicken every night. Gosh no.

Exactly!

It's easy for me, because I've been into cooking AND nutrition for ages. I just need to figure out how to distill what I've learned to make it easy for myself.

I know John Romano and others have done specifically BB cookbooks. It's certainly a niche market -- more suitable to an ebook or POD than a "bookstore" book, most likely.

I think one aspect that gets overlooked is that a lot of people get into BB or healthy eating in general, and they don't know how to cook at all. That's got to be overwhelming.

RedSpikeyThing
07-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Exactly!

I think one aspect that gets overlooked is that a lot of people get into BB or healthy eating in general, and they don't know how to cook at all. That's got to be overwhelming.

Good point - especially when you are looking at preparing 6 meals per day!
Maybe a compromise would be a book on how to prepare food in bulk and provide some recipes that work especially well in large quantities.