PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on diet and other things

"B"
07-03-2006, 06:31 PM
First off I am a male at the age of 31. Iíve never really worked out before or been interested in strength training until a few months ago. All of my life Iíve been thin and have always had problems keeping weight on. I started working out in January of this year and have been at it pretty hard. When I started I weighed 181 and now Iím up to 195. My body fat has gone from 14.6% down to 13%. Over the past few months my workouts have included general strength training for 3-4 days a week and 2-3, 45 min. cardio secessions a week. So what are my goals? Iím 6í3Ē and ďthinkĒ I want to be around 210 Lbs at 9-10% body fat. However Iím not even sure if this is possible with my current diet or work out. Iím very happy with my progress so far but want to make sure Iím on the right track. I have been watching this forum and reading just about anything I can find but I still have a few questions.

Question 1: Will the WBB1 work out work for me? Since Iíve never lifted I really have no experience with form or using free weights. I wasnít sure if I should do some other exercise routine and then start the WBB1?

Question 2: Is my diet even in the ballpark? Right now Iím eating 3900 calories at 44% carbs, 27% protein, and 29% fat. I do know that the diet is really important so
I want to make sure that is right.

Typical day of eating (this was put together for me by the nutritionist at the gym)

Meal 1 Breakfast 8:00,
1.5 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
1.25 cups of Oatmeal
1 banana
1 cup 1% milk
4 eggs scrambled

Meal 2 10:30
1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios
Ĺ cup raisins
Ĺ cup sunflower seeds
1 string cheese

Work out 12:00-1:00

Meal 3 Lunch 1:00
2 slices whole grain bread
23 wheat thins
30 grapes
1 cup 1% milk
6oz. of turkey
1-cup baby carrots

Meal 4 4:00
1 whole-wheat bagel
1 cup 1% Milk
2 oz beef jerky

Meal 5 Dinner 6:00
2/3-cup brown rice
8 oz. Chicken
1-cup salad
1-cup veggies

Question 3: Should I be taking supplements? Right now Iím not taking anything, protein or creatine.

Thanks for your help,

kad
07-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Hey there, welcome to the forums! WBB1 is fine. You can ask a trainer or a more experienced lifter at your gym to watch your form if you want.

As far as diet, set up an account at www.fitday.com and add all your foods up, and post it in this thread. We can't tell you anything until we know how many grams of protein/carbs/fat you're taking in. Don't worry about ratios or percentages, just make sure you're getting a minimum of 0.5g/lb LBM in fats and 1g/lb LBM in protein. The rest of your calories can come from whatever you want, protein, carbs, or fat.

"B"
07-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Hey there, welcome to the forums! WBB1 is fine. You can ask a trainer or a more experienced lifter at your gym to watch your form if you want.

As far as diet, set up an account at www.fitday.com and add all your foods up, and post it in this thread. We can't tell you anything until we know how many grams of protein/carbs/fat you're taking in. Don't worry about ratios or percentages, just make sure you're getting a minimum of 0.5g/lb LBM in fats and 1g/lb LBM in protein. The rest of your calories can come from whatever you want, protein, carbs, or fat.

Thanks for the help. I got the following info. from fitday. It also shows that my calories add up to 3518 vs. the 3900 I thought I was eating.

108g of fat
384g of carbs
256g of protein

Any thoughts on the #'s above?

Built
07-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Protein and fat are both sufficient - are you gaining, losing or maintaining on these calories?

"B"
07-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Protein and fat are both sufficient - are you gaining, losing or maintaining on these calories?

I would say I'm maintaining. I've been at 195 for about 2 weeks. I upped my calories in March and went from 11.6 in body fat to 13.0 and my weight went from 187lbs to 195lbs. On another note how often should I weigh myself?

Built
07-03-2006, 10:21 PM
I weigh daily in the AM empty, naked and unfed, but only pay attention to trends.

Up to you.

If you're not gaining, add 500 calories to your daily total.

"B"
07-03-2006, 11:05 PM
I weigh daily in the AM empty, naked and unfed, but only pay attention to trends.

Up to you.

If you're not gaining, add 500 calories to your daily total.

Great, I'll be sure and keep you guys posted. Built and Jordan, thanks for your help!

Built
07-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Good luck.

Eat up!

"B"
07-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Good luck.

Eat up!
Who ever thought eating would be the hard part. Thanks again,