PDA

View Full Version : protein absorption and diarrhea

ClubberLang
07-03-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm taking a new brand of shakes and they tend to give me the runs. From my understanding, diarrhea is a result of food passing through the intestines before all the water/nutrients are able to be extracted. I am not sure if it is possible to pass protein out in one's stool. Is consuming this stuff a waste? Can someone clarify? Thanks.

MagnaSephiroth
07-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Try eating before taking the shake so it sits in your stomach longer

Jordanbcool
07-04-2006, 08:27 AM
what brand is it?

You'd be surprised but you could be lactose interolerant

omarjiwa
07-04-2006, 01:16 PM
I have the same problem, and i was just gonna post asking if it was a waste to take it if u just crap it out 2 hours later? Or does your body obsorbe the calories and protein etc

ClubberLang
07-04-2006, 02:28 PM
i bought it at www.allthewhey.com their prices are insane. To be fair, their WP isolate has been good to my tummy. Their whey protein blend has been leass agreable. I usually can't drink whey protein concentrate at all but i decided to give their isolate/concentrate blend a try.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-04-2006, 05:36 PM
I was getting the runs until I switched brands. Apparently I don't do well with the shakes that use artificial sweeteners. Aspertame = bathroom nightmare for me. So I just stay away from it. I switched to a protein that doesn't use any artificial sweeteners and I've been just fine now.

Quattro
07-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Sometimes you can actually be eating to much protein. I know its rare and studies exist showing most people can handle high protein diets, but from eating 1.5g of protein times my bodyweight (Im 175 lbs so roughly 250g protein everyday) and taking creatine, my kidneys and liver went biserk. They simply couldnt handle all of the toxins being created from breaking down the protein and so I had diahrea and bad gas from my body trying to get food out of my system in a hurry. I had a healthy and nutritious diet, but it wasnt very balanced as about 45% of my calories came from protein. As a result I have elevated amounts of creatinine and BUN in my blood which are toxins your kidneys are supposed to take care of. After finding out this was happening a couple days ago from my doctor, Ive backed way off of 250gs of protein daily and am noticing hardly any diahrea/gas now. I get my blood taken again tomorrow and hopefully the creatine and BUN levels have dropped back to safe levels.

Not trying to scare you but just letting you know its a small possibility judging from your symptoms.

Nicoman
07-04-2006, 08:46 PM
I use to get the runs all the time when I used other protein supps... Soon as I switched to Nitrean I have no problems with the runs, I do get slight gas but nothing too intolerable.

uscpsycho
07-28-2006, 12:49 PM
On an empty stomach I have to hit the head within an hour of taking a full serving of Opticen. Every time. :mad:

I do not have this problem with Nitrean or Met-Rx.

ehscrewdude
07-28-2006, 04:09 PM
IDK why but I had mad blowouts when I started taking all my supplements but that all stopped after about a week and now Ive doubled and tripled the doses without any relapse or anything... id say my poop is almost too solid now... (maybe thats the raw quaker oats?)

Paladyr
07-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Shouldn't protein drinks make you constipated if anything???? No toilet is safe when I'm bulking!!!

leveque
07-28-2006, 07:59 PM
^
A comment so nice...it had to be posted twice:fart:

Paladyr
07-29-2006, 08:52 AM
^
A comment so nice...it had to be posted twice:fart:

slow server

Billy E.
07-30-2006, 09:59 AM
So which brand of protein should I get?

Paladyr
07-31-2006, 05:29 PM
So which brand of protein should I get?

I like optimum nutrition, double chocolate I believe is the flavor.

mikej
08-17-2006, 12:32 PM
IDK why but I had mad blowouts when I started taking all my supplements but that all stopped after about a week and now Ive doubled and tripled the doses without any relapse or anything... id say my poop is almost too solid now... (maybe thats the raw quaker oats?)

Sorry... I know this is an old thread.

I started my bulk on Monday, and I've started having horrible problems in the afternoon. Every day now, I run to the restroom (pun intended). One more minor attack in the evening, and it goes away and I'm good to go for the rest of the night.

This got me wondering if maybe I was lactose intolerant, or not handling eating all this food so well. Are you saying there's a chance this will just go away as my system adjusts? I'm willing to keep this up for another week or so as an experiment... but it's not fun.

Second question... if it turns out I'm lactose intolerant, and this problem is because I've added 2.5 - 3 pints of 2% milk to my diet... am I really getting those milk calories? Wouldn't this mean some of that sugar isn't being digested and therefore isn't getting into my bloodstream, and my daily caloric intake is less than I'm calculating?

Slim Schaedle
08-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Sorry... I know this is an old thread.

I started my bulk on Monday, and I've started having horrible problems in the afternoon. Every day now, I run to the restroom (pun intended). One more minor attack in the evening, and it goes away and I'm good to go for the rest of the night.

This got me wondering if maybe I was lactose intolerant, or not handling eating all this food so well. Are you saying there's a chance this will just go away as my system adjusts? I'm willing to keep this up for another week or so as an experiment... but it's not fun.

Second question... if it turns out I'm lactose intolerant, and this problem is because I've added 2.5 - 3 pints of 2% milk to my diet... am I really getting those milk calories? Wouldn't this mean some of that sugar isn't being digested and therefore isn't getting into my bloodstream, and my daily caloric intake is less than I'm calculating?

If the enzyme lactase is not hydrolyzing lactose into galactose and glucose, then no, you aren't absorbing it.

Unfotunately there's not really a definite way for you to determine how much lactose you body is hydrolyzing.

mikej
08-17-2006, 02:28 PM
If the enzyme lactase is not hydrolyzing lactose into galactose and glucose, then no, you aren't absorbing it.

Unfotunately there's not really a definite way for you to determine how much lactose you body is hydrolyzing.

OK... but is there a ceiling? In other words, let's say I'm taking in 600 calories in milk, but I'm only hydrolyzing X calories. If I take in 700 calories, does X increase, or is it a set amount based on the amount of lactase my body makes?

Or... would spreading out my milk consumption help? I know we don't even know if this is my problem, but if it is... my current M.O. is to have a pint at 9:00 AM, a half-pint at 10:30, and a pint at 1:15 PM. Maybe spread that out into the evening?

:edit: I know I'm not totally intolerant, I always have had milk in my diet.

kyle092286
08-17-2006, 06:13 PM
well i dont think its lactose intolerant with me cuz im using isopure zero carbs fruit drink.. and holy ****.. its tearing me up

Paladyr
08-17-2006, 07:40 PM
OK... but is there a ceiling? In other words, let's say I'm taking in 600 calories in milk, but I'm only hydrolyzing X calories. If I take in 700 calories, does X increase, or is it a set amount based on the amount of lactase my body makes?

Or... would spreading out my milk consumption help? I know we don't even know if this is my problem, but if it is... my current M.O. is to have a pint at 9:00 AM, a half-pint at 10:30, and a pint at 1:15 PM. Maybe spread that out into the evening?

:edit: I know I'm not totally intolerant, I always have had milk in my diet.

Just switch to sweetened soy milk. I actually prefer the taste to milk, it's SOOOOO good.

mikej
08-18-2006, 09:51 AM
I kept up the same-'ole routine with my milk consumption yesterday, and ended up being just fine in the afternoon. A little uneasy, but no major "issues". So... I'm thinking I must just be getting used to the big increase and it took awhile for my system to adjust.

Feasible?

malkore
08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
what is your daily fiber intake?

mikej
08-18-2006, 10:24 AM
what is your daily fiber intake?

My Fitday tells me I'm averaging 38g per day. That doesn't sound like very much...

natediesel
07-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Sometimes you can actually be eating to much protein. I know its rare and studies exist showing most people can handle high protein diets, but from eating 1.5g of protein times my bodyweight (Im 175 lbs so roughly 250g protein everyday) and taking creatine, my kidneys and liver went biserk. They simply couldnt handle all of the toxins being created from breaking down the protein and so I had diahrea and bad gas from my body trying to get food out of my system in a hurry. I had a healthy and nutritious diet, but it wasnt very balanced as about 45% of my calories came from protein. As a result I have elevated amounts of creatinine and BUN in my blood which are toxins your kidneys are supposed to take care of. After finding out this was happening a couple days ago from my doctor, Ive backed way off of 250gs of protein daily and am noticing hardly any diahrea/gas now. I get my blood taken again tomorrow and hopefully the creatine and BUN levels have dropped back to safe levels.

Not trying to scare you but just letting you know its a small possibility judging from your symptoms.

So what's the answer? Is enough protein getting absorbed if you get the runs from your protein shake? I can handle time on the can as long as the protein my body needs is getting absorbed.

Paul Stagg
07-13-2007, 08:44 PM
It could be a host of things. Lactose intolerance would be my first guess, which has nothing to do with protein absorption.

The only test would be to eat the same amount of protein from a different source.