PDA

View Full Version : Simple cardio question.

Aslin
07-04-2006, 03:05 PM
I tend to lift weight when i get home from work about 5ish, then go for a jog/elleptical around 10pm.

Simple question really ; Is it ok to be doing cardio this late? i usually dont finish untill close to 11pm :alcoholic

Denktank22
07-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Ofcourse, it doesnt matter what time you do it, just as long as you get it done. Also, I would say it depends on what time you go to sleep to say if 11 pm is late or not.

Aslin
07-04-2006, 03:39 PM
cool, thanks for the answer, if anyone cares to disagree however dont be shy :)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-04-2006, 05:41 PM
What are your goals?

bjohnso
07-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Some people cant sleep after cardio because their heart rate stays higher than normal for a while afterward.

RedSpikeyThing
07-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Why does your cardio take an hour? It's been shown that interval cardio is more effective at burning fat and mainatining muscle.

To answer your question, as long as you can get to sleep it is ok. I can't, so it would be no good for me.

laxguy1028
07-05-2006, 08:47 AM
As long as it doesn't mess up your sleeping/eating schedule doing it that late should be fine, and i also agree with redspikeything try some interval cardio or HITT

TooShortBabe
07-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Then you eat after running? I wonder if that has an impact on your body...like does it make you eat more or is the amount of food intake enough or too much afterwards...sorry I'm no expert about this...maybe you should do more research about that! I never asked myself that question. Guess I'll do some research too!

Nicoman
07-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Why does your cardio take an hour? It's been shown that interval cardio is more effective at burning fat and mainatining muscle.

To answer your question, as long as you can get to sleep it is ok. I can't, so it would be no good for me.

Please elaborate on this....does interval mean spreading it out 3 times a day or something else? Want to know because I am on a cut.

Thanks.

Anthony
07-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Intervals would be sprint/rest/repeat for a certain number of sets.

Steady state would be using the same speed for a certain time.

Scientific studies have proven intervals are superior for burning fat, increasing vo2, increasing lactate threshold, using lactate as fuel, building/maintaining muscle, etc.

The most popular study on intervals was done by Tabata. They had athletes perform 20 seconds sprint, 10 seconds rest, for a total of 4 minutes (8 intervals). Worked out to burn 3x as much fat. Go figure. :p

Nicoman
07-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Intervals would be sprint/rest/repeat for a certain number of sets.

Steady state would be using the same speed for a certain time.

Scientific studies have proven intervals are superior for burning fat, increasing vo2, increasing lactate threshold, using lactate as fuel, building/maintaining muscle, etc.

The most popular study on intervals was done by Tabata. They had athletes perform 20 seconds sprint, 10 seconds rest, for a total of 4 minutes (8 intervals). Worked out to burn 3x as much fat. Go figure. :p

Awesome thanks Anthony...I will start doing this at the gym....would running the tread doing intervals work well?

Thanks...

EDIT: Nevermind thanks I found it in another thread....going to do the treadmill thing and go for 30 or 40 seconds then rest till heart rate drops 10 or 15 seconds and so on and so forth...I am sure everyone is different with how fast you recouperate from the sprinting.

God this forum never ceases to amaze me....thanks everyone again....I am all excited.

Anthony
07-19-2006, 10:03 AM
In my opinion, no. You can't sprint on a treadmill. It's physically impossible as mechanics are completely different. Not to mention the short intervals (20 second sprint, 10 second rest) are pretty difficult to arrange with a treadmill.

Having said that, some people do it and I suppose it does work better than steady state.

My suggestion would be use a track, use a bike, use a combination of body weight exercises (squats, pullups, pushups, etc), use weighted front squats or thrusters, etc.

PerfectAnjail
07-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Awesome thanks Anthony...I will start doing this at the gym....would running the tread doing intervals work well?

Thanks...

EDIT: Nevermind thanks I found it in another thread....going to do the treadmill thing and go for 30 or 40 seconds then rest till heart rate drops 10 or 15 seconds and so on and so forth...I am sure everyone is different with how fast you recouperate from the sprinting.

God this forum never ceases to amaze me....thanks everyone again....I am all excited.

I agree with Anthony. Intervals, let me clarify, HIIT,is not only nearly impossible to do properly on a treadmill, but can also be dangerous on a treadmill. Also, if you can go 30-40seconds you are either in superior shape or you're not running fast/hard enough (at least as it applies to HIIT). And I promise it will take longer than 10-15 seconds for your heart rate to drop, especially by that 6, 7, or 8th set. (if you make it that far)

Happy HIITing :D

Nicoman
07-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks again guys ....