PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is the cheaper way?

wdjuqi
07-06-2006, 03:39 PM
I've decided the shake route is the way I'm going to go. If I get a bit chubby, great. Really don't give a **** about getting ripped. Just don't want to look so skinny.

Money is a big issue for me...I barely have any. It's a paycheck to paycheck thing for me right now. It sucks, but I have to make it work to gain weight. So what's the cheaper way?

Homemade shakes like this one.

700ml of milk=~450 calories
2 scoops whey protein=~220 calories
100g of oats=~350 calories
4 tablespoons peanut butter=~400 calories

Total=~1420 calories

Or buy buckets of weightgainer powder?

Just looking at the ingredients for the homemade shake, I know that I'll be needing a whole ****load of milk, peanut butter, oats, and whey if I'll be drinking 3 a day...even 2 a day. So what's the best route?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Nosaj
07-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Whole foods is way cheaper. Buy a gallon size olive oil at a wholesale store like Costco and add a banana to each shake. 2tbsp of OOil is like 240cals and a banana is 100cals, both are really inexpensive. Good way to pack in some cals for your bulk, good luck.

RedSpikeyThing
07-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Try the protein bars in the recipes section:

2 cups natural PB
1/3 cup honey
2 cups oats
3 scoops protein powder

Put in a brownie tray and place it in the fridge until hardened. Makes 6 bars.

These things contain almsot 1000 cals and a whole lot of protein. And, if you buy all the ingridients in bulk, they are super cheap!

Also, you can add olvie oil for extra cals.

EDIT: I know it's not a shake, but it's really cheap - no milk!

wdjuqi
07-06-2006, 06:43 PM
How much is protein powder? Do you have to put it in shakes?

John04Civic
07-06-2006, 07:30 PM
How much is protein powder? Do you have to put it in shakes?
I also would like to know please.

Also, can you please give some name brand examples? Is it something I can get from GNC? I have Whey Powder you mix w/ liquid that is 110 cals + 20 g protein a scoop. Would that work?

RedSpikeyThing
07-06-2006, 09:06 PM
I have Whey Powder you mix w/ liquid that is 110 cals + 20 g protein a scoop. Would that work?

That is protein powder.

No it doesn't have to go in shakes, but it really helps get the protein up without adding too many calories.

John04Civic
07-07-2006, 03:44 PM
That is protein powder.

No it doesn't have to go in shakes, but it really helps get the protein up without adding too many calories.
Cool, thanks for the great idea!

wdjuqi
07-07-2006, 04:03 PM
How much is protein powder if you buy it in bulk?

John04Civic
07-07-2006, 04:05 PM
I think I paid about $25 or so at GNC during a clearance sale (plus the gold card) and they fill the tub to the BRIM with the powder, unlike their bull**** weight gainer which is only about 1/2 to 2/3 full.

wdjuqi
07-07-2006, 07:41 PM
1 scoop is only 110 calories. I really don't see the point of even adding it into my daily shakes. I could replace the whey protein with ice cream or something and double those 110 calories.

Isn't whey protein for people here who are really into bodybuilding and want to get ripped? I really don't have those goals. As I said above, I just want to look bigger. Looking muscular is second fiddle. I'm sick of having toothpick arms and legs.

John04Civic
07-07-2006, 07:45 PM
1 scoop is only 110 calories. I really don't see the point of even adding it into my daily shakes. I could replace the whey protein with ice cream or something and double those 110 calories.

Isn't whey protein for people here who are really into bodybuilding and want to get ripped? I really don't have those goals. As I said above, I just want to look bigger. Looking muscular is second fiddle. I'm sick of having toothpick arms and legs.
I wouldn't go that far, I mean ice cream, while delicious has a lot of calories but a ton of sugar and complex carbs which won't help with a clean bulk. To look bigger, you gotta bulk man, you gotta get the big protein #s to build ANY kind of muscle. To get "ripped" Drop the b/f. **** I look "bigger" on 24/7 bulk. I got comments all the time when I was heavily into it.

RedSpikeyThing
07-07-2006, 11:16 PM

Protein supplements are designed to help add more protein to your diet. You don't magically get ripped from eating protein powder. If you did, this entire website would be out of business because no one would need advice.

If you've already hit your minimum amount of protein for the day, go for the ice cream. If you haven't use the protein powder. It's not entirely about the calorie count - health is important too.

EDIT: **** it - add both. Get the best of both worlds!

wdjuqi
07-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, I can buy ice cream at the supermarket, that's why I was asking. I don't want to be constantly ordering whey protein for $25 off the internet every 2 weeks.