PDA

View Full Version : Hook Grip

laxguy1028
07-06-2006, 06:46 PM
I have been told by my strength coach that i should use a hook grip everytime i clean. I tried it and it felt awkward and even hurt a little bit. What are the advantadges of the hook grip and specifically towards OLY lifting?

bill
07-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Chris Mason could probably have some insight, he just deadlifted 575 hook grip. Hopefully if your trainer is coach he knows what he teaches? LOL

laxguy1028
07-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Haha my coach actually does know what he is talking about, but i heard this at a strength training clinic from another s&c coach and never really understood the benefits of it and have yet to ask either guys

khari
07-07-2006, 03:25 AM
A hook grip is much stronger than regular grip. It is more necessary in the snatch, where once you are lifting heavy weight it's pretty much impossible to hold on to with a regular grip. Your best bet is to get used to using it. It hurts at first, but you get used to it.

Clifford Gillmore
07-07-2006, 05:10 AM
I cannot do it at all, and I have fairly lenghty fingers, I just can't get my fingers to stay in place.

chris mason
07-07-2006, 05:43 AM
As already stated, it is a stronger grip than the normal double overhand. If you start now it will be easier on you as you go heavier. It hurts like heck when you first start but gets easier over time.

Turnip
07-07-2006, 05:50 AM
Owe I just looked it up and the hook grip is alot different than I thought it was, that looks painfull I thought it was just having the thumb inline with the fingers. Is there really no dangers in using this sort of grip?

erik-the-red
07-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Like everybody else, I was very skeptical of using this grip at first.

Then, I used it and I was finally able to squat snatch the bar.

It really works.

bill
07-07-2006, 05:54 PM
I've heard some guys tape the thumbs with medical tape.

Turnip
07-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Alright so no harm can come of doing this? Looks like it might put alot of stress on the thumb.

Isaac Wilkins
07-09-2006, 09:48 AM
No real harm. Several bigtime powerlifters have gone over to the hook grip instead of the mixed grip on their deads. There have been a lot of torn biceps lately with big (800-plus) deadlifts and that has some in the community worried.

Travis Mash comes from an Olympic lifting background and I think he initially started using the hook for power (although I'm sure there have always been a few guys that did it) and it's become more popular.

I personally don't like it, but I'm sure if I practiced it I'd get used to it.

And to the guy who said his hands aren't big enough: If 120 pound lifters can move double or triple bodyweight with it, your hands can use it.