PDA

View Full Version : High protein bad for non steroid user

prof
01-28-2002, 07:29 AM
http://www.cbass.com/HighProtein.htm

This is from the archives of Clarence Bass, can anyone prove disprove etc. Should the traditional bodybuilding diet be modified for natural builders?

syntekz
01-28-2002, 07:38 AM
They are talking about high-protein/low-carb diets...

prof
01-28-2002, 07:52 AM
They reccommend this ...

For permanent weight loss and health, the AHA recommends a diet made up of approximately 15 percent protein (slightly higher for athletes), 30 percent fat (or less) and 55 percent carbohydrate (slightly higher for athletes) combined with regular exercise...

what do you think of their marcos and why have they picked those amounts?

Spiderman
01-28-2002, 08:30 AM
A bodybuilder, or anyone who lifts for that matter needs the extra protein in their diet, thats a general fact. As for the macro ratios.... I'm not to sure on those. Its hard to say if they're just arbitrary numbers or not....

Maki Riddington
01-28-2002, 09:26 AM
A article I wrote for this month is about how much protein us lifters can take in.

Maki Riddington
01-28-2002, 09:34 AM
Copy and pasted an excerpt.

"The amount of protein recommended in high-protein diets raises serious health concerns, according to the AHA panel of nutrition experts. The panel recognizes that people engaged in intense strength and/or endurance training require extra protein, but they say that most Americans already consume more protein than their bodies need.

*** Where are the studies to prove this?

Such diets typically exceed established requirements for both athletes and nonathletes.

*** The established requirements have been layed out by the Nutrition Board which is the RDA.

Excessive protein can be a problem,
because it usually carries along with it excessive amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol. High protein diets typically call for 25 to 35 percent of daily calories from protein and up to 68 percent of calories from fat. Such diets leave little room for healthy, nutrition-packed carbohydrate foods.

*** Bollox, variety and proper selection of foods will overcome this probelm.

prof
01-28-2002, 10:04 AM
Maki any ideas what difference do steroids make on the amount required? as a lot of published diets in muscle magazines etc, must be for users. have there been many studies on non steroid builders/ atheletes?

prof
01-28-2002, 10:08 AM
I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it but Clarence Bass is fairly well respected...just looking for the truth.

Maki Riddington
01-28-2002, 10:16 AM
Yes, Clarence Bass is respected but that doesn't mean his info is always correct. Bottom line, steroids increase protein synthesis dramatically, thatis why protein actually is encouraged.

If you have specifics in regards to AS and protein, Severed Ties is da man to ask.:)

prof
01-28-2002, 10:48 AM
no not into steroids, just wondering what diet to follow, so much conflicting data out there, and are these clowns right and is too much protien a problem or are the studies based on the usual couch potatos that they base vitamin RDAs on etc?

cheers

goobermor
01-28-2002, 05:26 PM
maybe im not reading the link right, but even if Clarence is correct, the vasy majority of us here get very high amounts of carbs in their diets, way more than the average american ever would

abiet, the people on this board also get high amounts of protiens too, and while i follow in this same regiment, my intake of saturated fats and total fat is extremely low (which could also be a bad thing :D )

personally, i think Maki made some nice posts on this :p

Maki Riddington
01-28-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by prof
no not into steroids, just wondering what diet to follow, so much conflicting data out there, and are these clowns right and is too much protien a problem or are the studies based on the usual couch potatos that they base vitamin RDAs on etc?

cheers

*** Too much protein is not a problem. Now one can argue and ask to define how much protein is too much. Now there are signs that your body will give off letting you know if your taking in too much.
Yes the RDA is based on sedentary adults.
Of course the Nutrition board states that even exercising adults don't need more than the RDA.

syntekz
01-28-2002, 07:49 PM
The article has a point, but it doesnt apply to most of us. (low carbs)

the doc
01-28-2002, 07:56 PM
i certainly think that high protein diets (>200 g / day) are just an expensive way of eating carbs. THat excess protein is converted to glucose. SO whats the us rda like 80 g/ day- bollox! What the difference in taking another 100 g or so (in terms of health) - probably miniscule. Now if you go to AST website i think they're gonna tell you to take 450g / day - thats quite a difference.

Podium Kreatin
01-28-2002, 11:33 PM
a lot of those health articles bend some facts:
i've read soem of these reports. in terms of finding the determining value for "hi protein" (in most negative hi peptide diet reports) the researchers fed rats in their weight in protein, lets say, which is 200g, when the rat may have weighed that much. they died from kidney failure, therefore, if ppll eat 200g protein, they might get kidney failure.
it's a failed logic obviously, but some tests done on small rats are done like this, where they gave rats a human dose.

also, as long as u ddrink plent of water, it's very unlikely that protein will hurt ur kidneys.

prof
01-29-2002, 02:39 AM
think the amount advised by the world health organisation was 35g or something,????

Cheers for the posts, so just another scare story eh!
:confused: