PDA

View Full Version : Oats??!!

dav619
07-07-2006, 02:14 AM
Hi Guys,

When you are talking about putting oats in your shakes etc, do you mean ordinary run of the mill porridge oats?
If so do you cook the up first to soften them or just whack them in all crispy and dry?
Thanks
Dave:help:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-07-2006, 02:20 AM
Dry oats. Can be steel-cut or just Quaker dry oats. Some people just throw it into a blender with the rest of the ingredients or they grind it first in a grinder (coffee grinders work very well for this) and then throw it into the blender or whatever. Just do what you like best.

dav619
07-07-2006, 02:54 AM
Cheers Scarz, your a gent.

emjlr3
07-07-2006, 07:02 AM
i have a coffee grinder, cost me 10 bucks at Walmart, put a cup of Quaker rolled oats, grind em up for about 10 seconds, and voila

they dissolve, so you have to constintly mix your shake to keep drinking some else you'll get them all in the last few sips

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-07-2006, 11:42 AM
I tried just mixing dry oats in the shake and have it grinded in the blender, but it doesn't work too well. Makes the shake too thick. Grinding it first seems to work better.

MagnaSephiroth
07-07-2006, 04:05 PM
How do they taste?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-07-2006, 11:57 PM
They taste like oats. :thumbup: Just a bit more...dry.

ddegroff
07-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Go chew on some saw dust...

Might be close, LOL

Once I switched to real OATs, I started mixing it with Nitrean, honey, OO anything to make it taste like SOMETHING.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-08-2006, 12:27 AM
^^

I see a lot of recipes like that in the Recipes section. I really want to try one soon. Sounds tasty. I want to try it with milk, OO, frozen strawberries, bananas, oats, and ice. I'll see how it goes.

ddegroff
07-08-2006, 12:32 AM
The quickest I've found is:

Heat Oats, then mix in OO, Nitrean, stir and cool...

Then eat, sooo good! (I hate cleaning a blender 4 times a day).

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-08-2006, 12:34 AM
I was thinking of just grinding them up in my coffee grinder. I'll try both ways and see how it goes. :) Thanks for the tip.

I hate cleaning a blender 4 times a dayI know what you mean. :(

smalls
07-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Come guys, who actually cleans em, I mean it's like 2 hours till you eat again. I just let mine soak in hot water, then again, I'm not known for my cleanliness. Save that junk for when your married, lol.

And I just everything (raw oats, milk, whey, olive oil) in the blender and blend for 10 seconds, drink some blend for 5 more drink the rest. Seems to work fairly well. 6-7 times a day, every day.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-08-2006, 02:43 AM
Come guys, who actually cleans em, I mean it's like 2 hours till you eat again. I just let mine soak in hot water, then again, I'm not known for my cleanliness. Save that junk for when your married, lol.Hehe...well actually...I just got this new dishwashing scrubber brush type thing and it pretty much makes cleaning the blender only take about 10 seconds now. I don't have a reason to complain anymore about cleaning the blender. :)

6-7 times a day, every day.Are you doing a liquid diet? I like solid foods too much to go on one, but I don't mind homemade weight gainer shakes every now and then.

smalls
07-08-2006, 11:53 AM
I've done a liquid diet for well over a year now. I have hated solids for a long long time. Plus the way I eat is pretty much the cheapest I have found, and nothings easier. Certainly not for everyone though, my girlfriends stomach cant handle whey more than two meals in a row. And most people do enjoy eating, suckers.

Unreal
07-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Bah. Come over and I'll fire the grill up and get you some good solid food. Just made some porkchops that are soooo good I can't stop eating.

Anyways, oats+whey+splenda+cinnamon is a staple in my diet. Its my breakfast daily and pre and post workout meal.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-08-2006, 12:26 PM
I've done a liquid diet for well over a year now. I have hated solids for a long long time. Plus the way I eat is pretty much the cheapest I have found, and nothings easier. Certainly not for everyone though, my girlfriends stomach cant handle whey more than two meals in a row. And most people do enjoy eating, suckers.That's cool...if it works for ya. I can understand the convenience, since shakes are very easy to down.