PDA

View Full Version : Whey Pre and Post workout?

Gilles1975
07-07-2006, 09:37 AM
We all know its essential to have a boost of quick whey protein straight after a workout, but what about immediately before a workout? Is there a benefit to this?
I like to have a quick 20 grams of protein just before my workout, I do this becasue the first muscles I excercise won't get any protein for about 40 minutes after they have been worked, as opposed to the last muscles I excercise which don't have to wait as long, is this worthwhile, or am I just burning this pre-workout protein off during excercise?
Thanks.

SaVvY
07-07-2006, 10:02 AM
We all know its essential to have a boost of quick whey protein straight after a workout, but what about immediately before a workout? Is there a benefit to this?
I like to have a quick 20 grams of protein just before my workout, I do this becasue the first muscles I excercise won't get any protein for about 40 minutes after they have been worked, as opposed to the last muscles I excercise which don't have to wait as long, is this worthwhile, or am I just burning this pre-workout protein off during excercise?
Thanks.
why would you not need protein while working out? you do, aswell as carbs and fats, i always make sure im getting my nutrition before, during, and after workouts

p.s you will only burn protein off if your body turns it into an energy form because it has nothing else for that energy

Vapour Trails
07-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Yes, by all means take some before as well as after, for the exact reasons you cited.

Gilles1975
07-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks.

Slim Schaedle
07-07-2006, 12:30 PM
p.s you will only burn protein off if your body turns it into an energy form because it has nothing else for that energy
Amino acids can enter oxidation despite there being adequate stores of triglycerides (adipose tisse) in the body.

Jorge Sanchez
07-07-2006, 12:49 PM
We all know its essential to have a boost of quick whey protein straight after a workout

I didn't realize that was essential. I guess someone should let the 10+lbs of LBM I gained sans-whey know.

Slim Schaedle
07-07-2006, 12:56 PM
the first muscles I excercise won't get any protein for about 40 minutes after they have been worked
How do you know this?

Jordanbcool
07-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Amino acids can enter oxidation despite there being adequate stores of triglycerides (adipose tisse) in the body.

Slim no one understands what you just said...lol.

I think he just got confused with cutting/bulking. Or atleast muscle breakdown and repair

Slim Schaedle
07-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Slim no one understands what you just said...lol.

I think he just got confused with cutting/bulking. Or atleast muscle breakdown and repair
Someone can burn protein even though they have fat

Jordanbcool
07-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Someone can burn protein even though they are fat

But that would depend on diet/training/activity.

Slim Schaedle
07-07-2006, 02:57 PM
But that would depend on diet/training/activity.
True.

My point was only to tell whoever that was, that they are wrong.

(I also edited one word in my post, but it doesn't change the meaning)

Jordanbcool
07-07-2006, 03:24 PM
True.

My point was only to tell whoever that was, that they are wrong.

(I also edited one word in my post, but it doesn't change the meaning)

Heh.

I guess I have come a long ways.