PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting with limited equipment

Laxman
07-07-2006, 10:44 PM
I have lifted for sports for a few years (im 19), but in the past couple months I have gotten interested in powerlifting. How big of a problem is it to not have access to chains, bands, etc.? Basically the gym I workout at has flat/incline/decline benches, dumbells, squat racks, and various assistance excersizes. I've tried reading some articles on powerlifting, but most of the exersizes involve equipment i dont have. So, my question is, how big of a problem is limited equipment? Will I be able to make gains for a while, and then stop because I cant do the advanced excersizes, or are there ways to make up for the lack of stuff?
Thanks

Sensei
07-07-2006, 11:25 PM
It is not a problem at all. Having access to things like a GHR, reverse-hyper, bands, chains, etc. is nice, but not a necessity. Until 10 years ago, just about everyone got along fine without them.

Don't worry about it.

drew
07-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Lift heavy and lift smart. Chains and bands don't make a powerlifter. It takes heart and balls.

TommyBoy
07-08-2006, 10:39 AM
If you look at all the old school powerlifters, they just used iron. So just stick to the basics and lift heavy and you'll be fine.

WBBIRL
07-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Yep, plus those things are more geared twoards lifters who have alteast a few years under their belts first.

My suggestion would be to make sure you have your form down on every lift you do.

At this point, you dont need to worry about being fancy with your training.

Laxman
07-08-2006, 11:50 AM
thats good to hear, thanks guys

Lothar
07-08-2006, 06:09 PM
I agree, it can be a mistake to jump into the advanced technique too early. Doing too much board pressing can hurt your low end and raw strength, as can too much chain and band work. They definitely have their benefits, but don't worry about them for now.