PDA

View Full Version : Squat depth

bill
07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
You know most of the squats I have looked at the net are very questionable depth. Be it regular guys doing raw or equipped, even contest passed squats. Do you only hit // or go below for a good lift? Could someone post links to squats they believe contest approved.

drew
07-09-2006, 04:11 PM
I've been told by judges that I squat very low and should work on moving that up so I can hit bigger numbers. I moved my box up to just below parallel (where it was always 2-3" below before) but my raw squat is still much deeper than it could be.

Jinkies
07-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Squat depth varies depending on the person and parallel is when your lower back reaches your knee line

Sensei
07-09-2006, 04:24 PM
When the crease at the hip is parallel with the top of the knee. Check the rules for specific federations - the wording can very a little.

weak sauce
05-18-2007, 08:53 AM
so its when the top of the thigh is parallel with the ground? i had heard that parallel is when the hamstring is parallel.. would love some clarification

WillKuenzel
05-18-2007, 09:03 AM
so its when the top of the thigh is parallel with the ground? i had heard that parallel is when the hamstring is parallel.. would love some clarification
If you have large thighs, some guys may never hit parallel if they're going by the quad. Or if somebody has large hamstrings then it might only take a few inches to hit parallel.

I can't say for other federations because I don't lift in them but in the APF/AAPF, it's when the hip joint becomes parallel with the knee. According to the rule book, it doesn't have to break parallel but just reach it.

Clifford Gillmore
05-18-2007, 09:03 AM
CAPO states it as where the hip joint breaks parallel with the knee joint, this an inch below for a passed lift.

I know what you mean bill, there is too many high squatters out there. Ie Powerfreak on AnimalPak sqauts over a grand but has a 600 deadlift, and every lift of his videos are only hamstring parallel.

Clifford Gillmore
05-18-2007, 09:12 AM
This is high.

h65-QzZYrGU

This is just below, 1003lbs

L0lF4lm3efA

Guido
05-18-2007, 09:35 AM
When the crease at the hip is parallel with the top of the knee. Check the rules for specific federations - the wording can very a little.Yes. This is the general rule throughout most powerlifting feds.

deeder
05-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Yes. This is the general rule throughout most powerlifting feds.

However it seems to be interpreted quite differently by some...

Fuzzy
05-19-2007, 12:20 AM
I get laughed at bt my whole gym if I dont leave a **** stain... man I love oly lifting!