PDA

View Full Version : Does sugar make it easy to store fat?

crazyskater52
07-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I was wondering why sugar was bad for you, and it turns out its alot worse than I thought lol, but I wanted to know if it slows down your muscle gaining process or if it makes you store fat? And if so...how?

I found this link: http://www.organicnutrition.co.uk/articles/is-sugar-bad-for-you.htm

It states this:
Can make it difficult to lose weight because of constantly high insulin levels, which causes the body to store excess carbs as fat.

How exactly does this work? Instead of carbs providing energy for your body they imediatly go get stored as fat? Or how does it work?

Thanks in advance

Davidelmo
07-10-2006, 05:33 AM
They're not drawing up the difference between temporary and permanent fat stores.

Okay, so if you eat a 500g bag of sugar in one sitting, your insulin levels will rise, that sugar will enter cells and become stored as fat.

But if that bag of sugar doesn't provide enough calories (500 x 4 = 2000kcal) to exceed your maintenance calories (lets say your maintenance was 3000kcal), you would still lose weight (the equivalent of 1000kcal per day).

This basically goes down the road of whether a calorie from one source is the same as a calories from another, in terms of it's effect on the body. I'm inclined to say that it doesn't matter where the calories come from.. only the total number matters (in terms of gaining/losing weight.) Of course, high protein, healthy fats etc are better in terms of gaining muscle but if you were obese and only cared about dropping 100lbs, you could still do it (unhealthily) by eating a bag of sugar ever day.. get it?

crazyskater52
07-10-2006, 06:26 AM
Yeah I understand. Why does everyone here care about the sugar then? And thank you for the very streight answer :)

Unreal
07-10-2006, 07:48 AM
First of all, I assume your talking about what most people would call sugar, even though there are many different typs of sugar, and the body deals with them differently. Sugar spikes insulin, and I believe is 1/2 fructose. Search for the many rants on the evils of fructose when it comes to fat formation. As for spiking insulin, this can be good if done post work out, but constantly spiking it will cause lower insulin sensitivity, can create sugar highs/lows, and other stuff.

TheGimp
07-10-2006, 07:56 AM
A couple of problems with sugar:

Due to the insulin spiking thing it can wreak havoc on your appetite management. Sure you could make an argument for willpower, but why make life difficult for yourself?

Secondly, sugar is empty calories. It's just carbohydrates. There's no vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fibre, protein, essential fatty acids. 50g of wholegrains contains a lot more goodies than 50g of sugar for e.g.

crazyskater52
07-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Okay wow...I tried to understand slims post:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=1360971&postcount=35

lol but yeah, kinda lost O_o

But I found this too:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=80661&highlight=fructose

Wow, never woulda thought it could do so much damage...is there any sugar thats not harmfull? Or barely harmfull? So then even cerials like cocoa krispies with like 15g sugar per servings would b harmfull huh? Pretty soon I'm not gonna be able to eat anything lol :-(

ddegroff
07-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Slims post is about the conversion of Fructose in the Liver. If the liver glycogen stores are full, those now converted fructose molecules get stored as fat.

Sucrose is part fructose/dextrose. Most likely the cocoa kirspies have HFCS in them which is bad.

crazyskater52
07-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Is there anyway to know your intake of glycogen in your liver is full? And yeah, so anything with HFCS is gonna be bad then right? Milk has sugars, y isnt that bad?

Unreal
07-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Define bad? Carbs aren't bad if you need them for energy. Dextrose isn't bad if used correctly or if it meets your goals.

crazyskater52
07-10-2006, 12:06 PM
So if you use the sugar that has the hfcs pre and post workout for energy its good?

Unreal
07-10-2006, 01:23 PM
HFCS is never good. Dextrose afterwork out to spike insulin can be helpful to training,a nd a dilute dextrose drink can be helpful during training to help lower cortisol. Like I said, it depends on how you define good and bad. Depends on what your goal is and what your trying to do with the sugar. I'm cutting so I don't use any carbs besides oats pre/post workout.

malkore
07-12-2006, 03:00 PM
agreed, HFCS is NEVER a good thing. HFCS also stunts the body's natural 'I'm full' trigger, making you much more prone to over eating at a meal.

RedSpikeyThing
07-12-2006, 04:20 PM
agreed, HFCS is NEVER a good thing. HFCS also stunts the body's natural 'I'm full' trigger, making you much more prone to over eating at a meal.

a) what is HFCS?

b) would that make it good on a bulk?

Slim Schaedle
07-12-2006, 04:57 PM
a) what is HFCS?

b) would that make it good on a bulk?

a) high fructose corn syrup

b) not unless you want more formation of fatty acids

MagnaSephiroth
07-12-2006, 05:06 PM
You really dont have to worry about sugar if your eatting the typical foods we all eat. If you eat candy bars, coke, ice cream, or just dump sugar in your shakes, then I would start to worry, but if your just looking at the sugars in normal food, it really doesnt mean much. Some sugar is good for you, thats why its a part of the food pyramid. But its the smallest block, so just don't gorge yourself with it.

Slim Schaedle
07-12-2006, 05:35 PM
You really dont have to worry about sugar if your eatting the typical foods we all eat. If you eat candy bars, coke, ice cream, or just dump sugar in your shakes, then I would start to worry, but if your just looking at the sugars in normal food, it really doesnt mean much. Some sugar is good for you, thats why its a part of the food pyramid. But its the smallest block, so just don't gorge yourself with it.
The food guide pyramid is a bunch of crap.

They put a picture of the pyramid on the T-shirts for UC's student dietetic association. I would like to buy one only so I can wipe my a** with it.

What sugar is good for you, and how do you mean?

Turnip
07-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Fats are at the top of the food pyramid as well, arent you supposed to eat more fat than you do sugars? And do fruits really require their own column?

MagnaSephiroth
07-12-2006, 07:13 PM
The food guide pyramid is a bunch of crap.

They put a picture of the pyramid on the T-shirts for UC's student dietetic association. I would like to buy one only so I can wipe my a** with it.

What sugar is good for you, and how do you mean?

Well I know blood sugar is important. If I dont get any sugar at all I feel all weak (or maybe I think its sugar I need :/ ) I always say I have low blood sugar when I'm all wobbly, maybe I'm saying that for instinct or cause I hear other people say it.

EDIT: I stand corrected on the food pyramid. Apparantly after a little research, the food pyramid was made about 100 or so years ago with the original intent to show CHILDREN what they should be eatting. Since parants dont want kids eating nothing but candy all day, sugar went on top, and do did fats cause they didn't think fat of any kind was good. It was more ment to fit the pyramid with the common meals made by the mother, which was usually something grain related. How many dinners did you have as a kid that was pasta or bread related? A lot. Its a common meal item.

Of course the downside to this all, is the food pyramid really hasnt changed for years. It is not changing with scientific discoveries. Its outdated, and merely a simple guideline now with realy the only purpose of, "don't eat a lot of candy." In fact, the main reason the pyramid hasnt changed is because everyones personal pyramid is different. Maybe you need more fruits and he needs more vegetables. Maybe it doesn't completely matter, maybe the size and order of the foods and servings is all irrelevant as long as it balances out in the end. I guess you can find your own personal food pyramid on Mypyramid.com. http://health.learninginfo.org/food-pyramid.htm

ddegroff
07-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Actually they got rid of that one, here's the new one:
My Pyramid (http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html)

Still worthless when it comes to BB.

MagnaSephiroth
07-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Actually they got rid of that one, here's the new one:
My Pyramid (http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html)

Still worthless when it comes to BB.

Yeah, they dont even ask you your height and weight. How can they be accurate without that?

ddegroff
07-12-2006, 09:57 PM
It's not. I've used that site to track cals before (for a class), its really worthless.

Davidelmo
07-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Well I know blood sugar is important. If I dont get any sugar at all I feel all weak (or maybe I think its sugar I need :/ ) I always say I have low blood sugar when I'm all wobbly, maybe I'm saying that for instinct or cause I hear other people say it.

You know it's not just eating pure sugar that raises your blood sugar, right?