PDA

View Full Version : BJJ-first time-couple of questions

Bob
07-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Hey all.. I've decided to give Brazilian Jiu Jitsu a try.. thought it was time to cut weight and work on some athletism again.. and get out of the weightroom just a little.. LOL.

So I have a couple of questions.. for those who have experience...
>>First off, I haven't wrestled since HS/College - >20 yrs ago - was OK, couple of tournament wins @ 145 to 167 LB weight classes
>>2nd - I am an extreme sweater - even lifting, I can drench shorts & t-shirt in 20 minutes or less
>>3rd - Class is Mon, Wed, Fri - 7 PM to 9 PM.. Instructor is from Brazil.. spent some time with the Gracies.. won a couple of tournments there and in the US - class here is a mixture of experienced and newbies - 16 -45 yrs old - 125 to 265 lbs - about 8 consistant guys, 10 or so that drop in & out.

Questions:
1.. What to wear to 1st class? Just shorts & tshirt? Recommend any type of outfit? UnderArmor type? tight or loose fitting? Long or short sleeve? Instructor will provide me with a gi after the 3rd finished class.
2.. Sweating - would you recommend 1,2 or 3 outfits? I personnaly don't want to offend anyone with my sweat..
3.. Eating - how should I time my meals? What should I eat? I'm thinking a hi-complex carb, hi-protein meal around 4 PM... then some fruit and Nitrean around 6 PM...
4.. I did an upperbody Push routine this morning in the gym - Chest, Tris, Shoulders.... how should it effect me? How do you guys time your WOs? The instructor was actually starting his WO as I was finishing... looked like he was doing a light, hi-rep Shrug and Shoulder WO...

Thanks for any help in advance..
Still lifting heavy, trying to eat right and resting enough... and starting a cut from 245 down to 220..

Anthony
07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Good stuff man!

1. Shorts and tshirt is fine, or dry-fit if you have one. Depending on the type of mats you may want long sleeve to avoid rashes. Once you get the gi, you could wear a dry-fit underneath to help with the sweating.
2. Just make sure you go to the gym freshly showered and bring a towel to mop your sweat. If the gi gets soaked, no big deal, I'm sure everyone else will be soaked too.
3. I'd do what you normally do before a workout, especially when you first start. If you do have fruit, go with oranges, they seem to keep your mouth from turning into a cottonball.
4. Starting out, I would try to separate your lifting and skill training. But in the long run, don't worry about how it will affect you, just do it. :p

Try not to overthink things ... just have fun!

Bob
07-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks Anthony..
Yeah, I do overthink things.. but then again, as an old man, I might have to.. so I don't get laid up for a while..

It should be a lot of fun.. I was always a defensive wrestler.. it will be interesting now that I can actually be on my back and not worry about being pinned.. LOL

Always appreciate the advice..

Skinny_DiezeL
07-16-2006, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=bearwolf]Thanks Anthony..
Yeah, I do overthink things.. but then again, as an old man, I might have to.. so I don't get laid up for a while..

It should be a lot of fun.. I was always a defensive wrestler.. it will be interesting now that I can actually be on my back and not worry about being pinned.. LOL

[QUOTE]

lol. its going to be awkward at first, and there is a lot of technical stuff. as far as getting on the back, worrk on staying calm, controlling the action. a big factor is hip movement, using yours and stopping his. also, hip movement will allow you to set up submissions from your back. most of the submissions i know are from the back, so just keep calm and active. as far as what to wear, depends on gi or no gi classes. if its gi, wear workout pants and tshirt until you get it, if not, then that'll be fine. like i said, it'll be awkward at first, especially switching over from wrestling, but if you keep with it you'll get hooked..lol i did. ;-) best of luck, post back and let us know how it was

theVict1m
07-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Anthony, how are guys that have never wrestled, boxed, or anything treated when they join a class? I'd like to take up MMA, but I'm far from being tough. I've never even been in a fight. Don't know the first thing about basic fighting. Would I just be setting myself up to be laughed at if I join a BJJ or a Muay Tai class?

KingJustin
07-16-2006, 07:50 PM
I started MMA after having no technical fighting experience (and without really getting into any fights in the last few years). Everyone has been really helpful from the start and just treated me like anyone else. I got crushed by guys half my size the first couple sessions, and nobody said anything other than how to improve and stuff. Wrestling helps with BJJ, but most people start off not knowing much. You pick up the basics pretty quick, though.

Don't worry about being laughed at. That was the reason that I stayed out of the gym until I was completely fed up with being small. If you want to do it and you don't because you're afraid of getting laughed at, then you're just going to have regrets in the future.

Anthony
07-17-2006, 05:35 AM
Most clubs I've been to are awesome at making people feel welcome. Not everyone is an expert, but if you show enthusiasm to learn, you'll fit in just fine.

MantiXX
07-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Most clubs I've been to are awesome at making people feel welcome. Not everyone is an expert, but if you show enthusiasm to learn, you'll fit in just fine.

Exactly... Most clubs are very welcoming to new people...

Give it a try (or roll as the case may be..lol)>..

Bob
07-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Well.. I'm posting back b/c Skinny D asked...
I've been to 2 sessions now, missed a 3rd one... but am going again about 2 hours from now..

They do seem fun.. although I'm having a problem timing with my workouts.. I'm running out of gas during the warmup, those gis are hot and I haven't been doing my cardio as much during this last bulk I went thru.. so by the time it gets to drills and learning, I'm pooped out..

I'm also having a problem timing my WOs.. if I lift the same day, my muscles are tired as heck.. if I lift the previous day, then the tightness is a little crazy to stretch.. and I don't like not going full-bore.. although a lot of patience seems to be good in BJJ..

I also had my first match.. at the end of the 2nd class.. didn't do too bad in 4 minutes.. only got choked out once!!!:moon:

Bob
07-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Just came back from my 3rd BJJ practice...
and hey, I actually was able to choke a guy out in a practice match...
of coarse, he was still about 20 lbs lighter... but he's been at it for over 2 yrs, so I felt good.. he was in the guard position, with his legs wrapped & locked around my waist.. and was trying to pull my gi down.. so I didn't know what to do, so I stood up.. LOL.. which I don't think he expected as then he was hanging from my waist.. they said I couldn't slam him down, when I did bring he down gently, I had his gi locked across the opposite shoulder and forearm across his neck.. I then put all my weight up on his throat.. he tapped..

They call me the Block now... haha..

And with one tap out.. I now have forgotten the other 3 times I tapped out... haha..

It was also 92 degrees in the room.. I lost 7 lbs in 90 minutes...
I should be making that 220 lb weight in no time...

I highly recommend this sport for everyone.. lots of fun.. and good cardio.. really, HIIT

Chubrock
07-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Glad your having a good time man. Awesome that you're getting into a great sport. Watch the armbar though. That choke you described is a good way to get armbarred.

Detard
07-17-2006, 08:40 PM
sweet man. its good that your having fun. when sparring make sure you dont put ur arms too far past his hips or his head. thats a prime way to get yourself into an armbar or a triangle.

dont worry about the sweat. i sweat like a ****in beast when i train. everyone does. if you dont have a mouthguard. you may want to invest in one because you never nkow when a guys elbow might come up accidentally and hit you in the lip or the teeth and either knock a tooth out or give you a cut. even if your sparring lightly.

Bob
07-17-2006, 08:42 PM
if you dont have a mouthguard. you may want to invest in one because you never nkow when a guys elbow might come up accidentally and hit you in the lip or the teeth and either knock a tooth out or give you a cut. even if your sparring lightly.
Thanks Chub & detard..
Funny you mention the mouthguard.. one guy just lost a filling tonight.. heard this shriek across the room.. his partner was apologizing.. thought he busted his jaw or something.. but it was just a filling popping out..

Anthony
07-18-2006, 06:02 AM
Don't worry about the warmups making you tired, that still happens to me. LOL!

Skinny_DiezeL
07-18-2006, 11:47 AM
because you never nkow when a guys elbow might come up accidentally and hit you in the lip or the teeth and either knock a tooth out or give you a cut. even if your sparring lightly.

lol headbutts also.. :bang: hurts like a mofo, face gets hot and tingly, stings for a while.

glad to see you're having a good time, bear. keep working at it, before you know it you'll be tapping guys out without thinking, and the cardio will be pretty damn good. lol, only thing i can really stress at this point is drill, drill, drill. you want everything to get to where its automatic. pretty soon it will be.
also, just have fun, dont take it too seriously..lol.

Detard
07-18-2006, 06:57 PM
also, just have fun, dont take it too seriously..lol.

unless you want to fight competitively :ninja:

Skinny_DiezeL
07-20-2006, 08:41 PM
unless you want to fight competitively :ninja:

lol, true. but at this point i wouldnt reccomend, i think he needs to work on ****load of cardio and drilling. go in to early, confidence gets smashed. and its not easy to repair..:bash: trust me on that..

Detard
07-20-2006, 10:39 PM
lol, true. but at this point i wouldnt reccomend, i think he needs to work on ****load of cardio and drilling. go in to early, confidence gets smashed. and its not easy to repair..:bash: trust me on that..

hehe yeah i know what you mean, i was just trying to give ya a hard time.:bang: :bang: :bang:

russianwol
07-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Hehe - you tapped the guy with a choke while being in his guard :-D Hmmm I don't think it's supposed to happen unless there's a very big weight difference - meaning the guy holding guard is much much smaller...

Keep up your training! Remember to stay relaxed. You'll be learning how to tap more than how to submit in the beginning. Especially against more experienced students.
Also, it's gonna take you some time to figure out how to fit your weight lifting with rolling. I had to cut mine down a bit especially while on a cut.

Detard
07-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Hehe - you tapped the guy with a choke while being in his guard :-D Hmmm I don't think it's supposed to happen unless there's a very big weight difference - meaning the guy holding guard is much much smaller...

it sounds like it was a gi choke. doesnt have to be a weight difference for that to happen, you just gotta have a firm grip and wrap his gi around his neck.

theres a video of a guy that takes off his belt and wraps it around the guys neck and chokes him out. he had never worn gi before and didnt know it was illegal ahahhaha

Skinny_DiezeL
07-21-2006, 07:09 PM
theres a video of a guy that takes off his belt and wraps it around the guys neck and chokes him out. he had never worn gi before and didnt know it was illegal ahahhaha

holy ****...lol, that had to have been one of those, "what the hell moments?"

i've had a few of those. lol, mainly involving alcohol though.

Detard
07-21-2006, 09:36 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2527746028152356520

heres the video of the gi belt choke... some funny ****

Chubrock
07-21-2006, 09:52 PM
The choke from in someone's guard should never happen, unless there is a big weight/size difference, as stated above. It doesn't matter that all you have to do is grab the gi. Once you reach out and try to pull off the push pull choke, you set yourself up for an armbar.