PDA

View Full Version : Calorie intake

NewMuscles
03-10-2001, 03:39 PM
First I just want to to say Hey all as I am new to the forums here. Here's my sit, In 8 wks, I've lost around 24 lbs of fat and gained a few lbs of muscle. I would like to continue to get my bodyfat down and lean muscle up(don't we all?). My ? is should I add calories for muscle gains or is the fat that I'm burning enough to sustain growth until I get my body fat down. I'm eating about 1800-2000 cals per day 40-50%protein/30-40%carbs/10-20%fat. I lift 6 days(3 upper/3 lower) a week and run 5-6 days for 30 mins. Also I'm seeing alot of routines around here push 2 sets vs 3. Is that a pretty well adopted approach that I am just clueless about.

YatesNightBlade
03-12-2001, 02:19 AM
First off .... welcome aboard ..... :)

Secondly, 6 days a weeks seems to be an lot of weight lifting !!!! what is your split ????

Thirdly, I wouldn't up your calories if I was you !!! , but I'd maybe slow your aerobic work down a little if building muscle is your gain. What types of food are your eating ??? what are your protein sources ???

Thanks.

Anthony
03-12-2001, 02:59 AM
Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is difficult to do ... possible, but difficult. Try to focus on one until you get to where you want to go (and you'll get there much quicker).

As for calories, that would depend on your stats (height, weight, bf %, exercise, overall metabolism). Do you know how many calories you need to eat in order to stay the same weight?

And welcome aboard!

NewMuscles
03-12-2001, 09:12 AM
Thnx guys, My sit is this 5'8" 208lbs bf% is about 25%. I just changed my routine(gonna try out the "Wannabebig" routine. I want to keep running though(DR recommended for cholsterol-low hdls), good for weight control? And I want to gain lean mass. I figure that if I was 10% bf, I'd go about about 172 so I'd like to throw on another 15-20lbs. I'm not looking to be "huge" but def looking for some gains. According to a program I ran on another site, my calorie intake to maintain is about 3200 cals.

Anthony
03-12-2001, 09:48 AM
I'd say your calories are a bit low.

24lbs in 8 weeks is 3lbs a week, which is pushing it. The slower you lose fat the less chance of losing muscle along with it. 1-2lbs/week is usually a good place to be.

I'd be interested in knowing your body fat percentage before you lost the 24lbs. If you are making decent progress, don't worry about changing anything. If you've hit a plateau, you should take a look at your diet.

NewMuscles
03-12-2001, 10:08 AM
Pretty high, 25% is an estimate, don't know if I'm using the calipers(I think I'm getting some streched skin in there) right but I think 25% might be a little high. I tore the heck out my ankle about 18 mos ago(still working on getting it rehabed), so I hadn't been getting a whole lot of e'cise, that coupled w/the poor diet I was on and the fact that I'm getting a little older didn't help, the weight just kind of "snuck up" on me. I understand that I def have my work cut out for me but I am def strongly motivated.