PDA

View Full Version : Do your Maintenance cals stay the same?

crazyskater52
07-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi, I was wondering if your maintenance cals always stay the same, or do they change? If they do change how do you find out when there changing and stuff? I was also wondering...is LBM just your bodyfat% - your total lbs? Or what?

Unreal
07-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Yes, it changes all the time. The more LBM you have the more calories it will take just to support it. Also age, activity level, etc all have an effect. I've heard the number of 1lb of muscle takes 50 calories or so a day just to maintain. So if you put on 10lbs of LBM then if that number is accurate then that is 500 extra cals a day you would need to eat just to stay the same. That is why big ripped guys can eat 5-6k calories a day and not gain, while little skinny people can gain on 2500.

LBM is you body weight-BF%*BW. So basically everything that isn't fat. If you weight 200lbs and have 10% BF, then you have 20lbs of fat, and your LBM is 180lbs.

Nosaj
07-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Yes, it changes all the time. The more LBM you have the more calories it will take just to support it. Also age, activity level, etc all have an effect. I've heard the number of 1lb of muscle takes 50 calories or so a day just to maintain. So if you put on 10lbs of LBM then if that number is accurate then that is 500 extra cals a day you would need to eat just to stay the same. That is why big ripped guys can eat 5-6k calories a day and not gain, while little skinny people can gain on 2500.

LBM is you body weight-BF%*BW. So basically everything that isn't fat. If you weight 200lbs and have 10% BF, then you have 20lbs of fat, and your LBM is 180lbs.

:withstupi

Realistically, the best way to deal with maintenance calories is trial and error. If you want to gain weight and you're not, eat more. If you want to lose weight and you're not, eat less. It's a game of balance and you get to choose which way the scale tips, if at all.

MagnaSephiroth
07-10-2006, 04:53 PM
I think I just found my maintenence calories at about 1600. And I weigh 157 5'11". Kind of sucks cause I like to eat, but it will go up :)

crazyskater52
07-10-2006, 07:34 PM
That makes sense, thanks guys! I wish I was eating 5000 cals a day :-) mmmm... I was also wondering, on work out days...besides pre/post work out and before you sleep, if you have protein thruout the day, would it be as effective or not really?

ddegroff
07-10-2006, 09:52 PM
I would say you should that it would be good to have protein throughout the day. But i have no proof that eating all your protein in just three meals wouldn't work. Try it see if it works for you.

MagnaSephiroth
07-11-2006, 01:56 AM
That makes sense, thanks guys! I wish I was eating 5000 cals a day :-) mmmm... I was also wondering, on work out days...besides pre/post work out and before you sleep, if you have protein thruout the day, would it be as effective or not really?

For me at least, I get about 90% of my carbs in the first half of the day. Then protein from then on. My carbs usually have a decent amount of protein (nothing special) but my carbs and protein usually end up being pretty even by the end of the day. Why do I do this? Body doesn't work when its sleeping, so it doesnt need carbs. First half of the day should give me enough fuel for the day.

Nosaj
07-11-2006, 02:49 AM
I wish I was eating 5000 cals a day :-) mmmm...

You say that now, and it might be true... but for me it's a damn chore. My maintenance calories is about 4500~ right now. I've resorted to shakes for the majority of my calories because I wasen't used to eating that much whole food and this was my solution to break past 230lbs, and it's working! I wish I had your hunger for food, lately eating has been like going to work for me. I'm way looking forward to my next cut, funny how grass is always greener on the other side, heh.

crazyskater52
07-11-2006, 05:47 AM
K, thanks for the replys guys, I rather have my meals and protein spread out, just was wondering if it was more convinient to have it thruout the day or better to have it before/post work out and b4 sleep.

You say that now, and it might be true... but for me it's a damn chore. My maintenance calories is about 4500~ right now. I've resorted to shakes for the majority of my calories because I wasen't used to eating that much whole food and this was my solution to break past 230lbs, and it's working! I wish I had your hunger for food, lately eating has been like going to work for me. I'm way looking forward to my next cut, funny how grass is always greener on the other side, heh.

Lol, yeah I was thinking that after a while that must get hard and tedious and expensive...I used to just eat whatever whenever but very little and I woudln't understand why'd I gain w8 for barely eating, then i started the cut and reading on this site, and omg now I love food, I wish I could eat 900000 cals, but I'm sure like you said thatll change when I get to your level.

Unreal
07-11-2006, 07:57 AM
For me at least, I get about 90% of my carbs in the first half of the day. Then protein from then on. My carbs usually have a decent amount of protein (nothing special) but my carbs and protein usually end up being pretty even by the end of the day. Why do I do this? Body doesn't work when its sleeping, so it doesnt need carbs. First half of the day should give me enough fuel for the day.

The body does tons of work while sleeping. That is when alot if not most of tissue repair is done. You need energy at all times, unless your dead. Your body doesn't heat itself, beat your heart, make you breath, etc from magic pixie dust during the night, it uses calories just like any other time of day.

MagnaSephiroth
07-11-2006, 12:01 PM
The body does tons of work while sleeping. That is when alot if not most of tissue repair is done. You need energy at all times, unless your dead. Your body doesn't heat itself, beat your heart, make you breath, etc from magic pixie dust during the night, it uses calories just like any other time of day.

I would love to spread carbs out throughout the day, but I usually get up to a large percentile of carbs by dinner time, in which case my remaining kcals need to go towards protein. Its hard to eat something protein related in the morning, I just like a nice bowl of cereal or oatmeal. And on workout days, I center nearly all my daily carbs around pre and post workout meals. Im thinking about cutting down on some of the post workout carbs and putting a protein shake in its place, then eating more carbs later on in the day. Basically I'm gonna try to make some more sandwiches :D Whole wheat bread and a big slab of meat, mixing em together.