PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Lifting

legacycaptain11
07-10-2006, 07:45 PM
For a pitcher in baseball what are the best lifts to get more speed on your balls when pitching?

Can'tstopnow
07-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Use those elastic bands tied to something shoulder height and go through your throwing motion. Start slow and controlled to get the feel and increase tension and speed. Put 50 pennies in a tennis ball, tape back shut and play catch. This one you also want to start slow to get the feel as the extra weight will be greater than a baseball. The more you do it your shoulder will strengthen. Lots of pushups and pullups. Do the pennyball for 50-75 throws every 2-3 days. Practice going slow until the hand passes the shoulder then accelerate the hand and follow through. Our coach in college had us do this and by the time you get to throw the baseball you're poppin the hell out of that mit.

legacycaptain11
07-10-2006, 08:54 PM
great thanks

Sensei
07-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Be REALLY careful about doing pitches with an object heavier than a baseball. It could affect your mechanics and put undue stress on your shoulder and elbow. Look over the shoulder article I wrote for some ideas: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=265

shootermcgavin7
07-11-2006, 05:32 AM
Second with sensei. I'm not sure what level you're pitching at, but weighted balls will really, really inhibit your ability to hit spots with a normal weight baseball.

Long toss is much better for arm strength.

Here you go:

Squats & other core work (medicine ball works great for the latter)
+ rotator cuff exercises
+ sprints
+ flexibility in your hamstrings & shoulders.

Anthony
07-11-2006, 05:46 AM
Definitely do not use weighted balls or anything that could rewire your throwing pattern. It happens a lot faster than you think, too.

As a pitcher you're already on course for overuse injury, so adding more work to your throwing muscles may help cause problems. I would focus on prehab work, make sure everything is balanced, and generally just get stronger overall.

Stumprrp
07-11-2006, 06:58 AM
i was a pitcher in the 5 years i played and playing catch with a softball helps greatly. Also do alot of leg work for the leg drive, and shoulder work.

droman
08-16-2006, 12:44 PM
i play baseball and still do. and have read many things on baseball and lifting maybe everything. I would recommend doing light weights for your upper body betwwen 12-15 reps. also do your core either 3 days a week or 5 days a week. and for your legs heavy weight 5-8 reps. long toss everyother day. and you should see results. rembember the better your technique the harder you'll throw. you can email me if you want a specific plan.

FortifiedIron
01-14-2007, 02:14 PM
You shouldn't add any type of weigth to a baseball or any type of resistance to your throwing motion. This will cause nothing but a break down in your throwing motion causing a whole host of other problem's you'll need to fix next.

Shooter hit the nail on the head on areas to work. Many people think that throwing a baseball is just arm strength, its not.

Kc

The Champion
01-24-2007, 10:36 PM
DO JOBS (pronounced like jobe) You can go as light as a can of corn or get a weighted ball, or the tennis ball with pennies. But what you do is do series of motions holding onto the ball.

1. hold your upper arm tightly agaisst your trunk and have the forarm at a 90 degree angle. Holding the ball rotate it outward 45degrees keeping the 90 degree angle in your arm and your upper arm pressed tight against the trunk
2. hold your arm straight out 45 degrees from your body and go from shoulder height all the way down and back up.
3.arm straight up, elbow bent up at 90 degrees, rotate, the ball towards the ground until forarm is parallel with the ground, keep 90 degree bend in elbow, rotate back up.

SLOW SMOOTH MOTIONS FOR ALL OF THESE

VDubb
01-26-2007, 09:13 AM
DO JOBS (pronounced like jobe) You can go as light as a can of corn or get a weighted ball, or the tennis ball with pennies. But what you do is do series of motions holding onto the ball.

1. hold your upper arm tightly agaisst your trunk and have the forarm at a 90 degree angle. Holding the ball rotate it outward 45degrees keeping the 90 degree angle in your arm and your upper arm pressed tight against the trunk
2. hold your arm straight out 45 degrees from your body and go from shoulder height all the way down and back up.
3.arm straight up, elbow bent up at 90 degrees, rotate, the ball towards the ground until forarm is parallel with the ground, keep 90 degree bend in elbow, rotate back up.

SLOW SMOOTH MOTIONS FOR ALL OF THESE

I think all these motions can also be done with the elastic/rubber bands. Just change the height of the cord accordingly.......

I wish now that I had lifted more during HS. As a pitcher, I was always fearful of injuring my shoulder, but realize now that I probably could've helped myself had I lifted harder back then......

xlerate9
01-26-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm not a pitcher, or a coach. My coach played for the Reds and while the rest of us infielders were taking grounders etc, he had the pitchers throwing long toss... and running poles (foul pole to foul pole along the outfield fence)

Cirino83
01-30-2007, 02:24 PM
You want better speed....work on leg strength and core strength.

droman
02-10-2007, 08:28 PM
you guys are all kinda of right. you need to work everything. yes rotators will help the shoulder out greatly and yes you need to get stronger and yes you do need endurance and yes you do need explosiveness. But i think the best thing is what i posted above plus the rotator cuffs which i thought was obvious and also you could do forearms. also add sprints baseball is an explosive sport. Some coaches are still into the old time workout of running 10 poles but that just works your endurance. sprints sill help develop leg power and strength to push off that mound.