PDA

View Full Version : What does an old guy need to get stronger?

karben
07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
I am 44 years old and just new to bodybuilding. I am 6 feet tall, 213 pounds, and have got a strong build. In my opinion I am still about 20 pounds overweight, although I used to weigh 240. I really want to lose my fat, but I also want to gain muscle. I hike up the mountain behind my house 5 times a week, speedwalking for 30 minutes uphill, on slopes up to 45 degrees but mostly about 10 degrees.

I also workout 4 times a week for about 30 minutes a time, and do pushups everynight before bed.

My question is, do I need to actually take supplements? I already take creatine. I find it very hard to lose weight, while working out. I have enough willpower that I was losing 5 pounds a week, but my workouts were going in reverse during those weeks. So I started eating more and losing less. Now I lose maybe a half pound a week, which I think is too slow.

Is it really possible to lose fat while making muscle gains?

I eat about 2500 calories a day by the way. I think?

Breakfast, a half bowl of Nature crunch with half bowl of berries on top with milk.

Lunch Peanut butter and Jam sandwich, Fruit Juice, and a hunk of cheese for a snack later on.

Supper, 10 oz of steak or pork chop or chicken with a couple of potatoes and a bowl of salad. Glass of milk.

Is this good nutrition? Do I need protein? Will protein make me fat? Remember I am a newbie and do not understand most of the terms you guys use on this site.

Jordanbcool
07-11-2006, 01:12 PM
First off. Let me start out by saying, you should be VERY proud of yourself for even thinking about all this. Most people your age are lazy slobs and dont even try to lose weight or even stay in shape for that matter. You have my respect just for asking these questions.

Your question is vague but is a good question. My first advice for you is to search around on this board and educate yourself.

Secondly. For the most part gaining muscle and losing fat isnt possible. Atleast not from a scientific standpoint. However your body CAN do it if your new to weight lifting (ah the beauty of adaptation). If you are not though, either concentrate on losing weight or gaining muscle (weight).

Join www.fitday.com. Track what you eat for a week. Try and find your maintanence and go from there. You are on your way already to a great body.

-jordan

Built
07-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Hello! And you're not old - if you are, I am, and I'm living in denial.

Your diet needs work. For one, no juice. For another, you need more protein and more healthy fats.

Track your diet on www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com) for a week and post up your numbers - let's get this moving for you.

Welcome to the board.

karben
07-11-2006, 02:51 PM
So Jordanbcool, you say I can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? Is that really so? Or are you saying that it requires a fine balance between food intake and exercise?

Is it true that a big fatty, would have to go on a diet for a year, before he should even start with the weights?

Knowledgeispower
07-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Here's a quote I found from 9/2005 on this forum with advice about gaining muscle and losing weight:

well, losing weight and getting stronger IS possible, It just isnt easy or likely to happen

muscle weighs more than fat, therefore if you get stronger and put on more muscle, you may be much more then you anticipated. instead of losing weight and geting stronger, considering, losing body fat and getting stronger.

This is possible, but it takes a lot of dedication and clean eating. I'm on the process of a bulk right now, and I plan to do a bit of cutting after just to kill some body fat.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-11-2006, 02:57 PM
So Jordanbcool, you say I can't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time? Is that really so? Or are you saying that it requires a fine balance between food intake and exercise?You can go through body recomposition in which you shed fat and gain muscle in its place (muscle weighs more than fat, so even though you may lose some weight, if you gain weight, it might be muscle), but in general, it is quite hard to put on any significant mass while in a caloric deficit. You can still gain strength, however, as your central nervous system adapts to progressive overload.

Do you have a training routine yet? If so, what's it look like?

Is it true that a big fatty, would have to go on a diet for a year, before he should even start with the weights?Healthy fat loss is about 4-5 pounds a month. In 3-4 months or so, if you stay disciplined on your "cut", you can lose that unwanted fat, and then start packing on some muscle when you start your "bulk".

Unreal
07-11-2006, 02:58 PM
No you should start weights right away. As a new lifter you can gain some strength/muscle and lose fat at once, just don't expect that to happen forever. Lifting weights is very important to losing fat. You need to convince your body that the muscle is important and to hang on to it. Losing weight is easy, losing fat is what you want to do. So lift heavy to maintain muscle mass, while eating in a caloric deficit to lose some weight.

So you need to get your diet on track, like Built said fitday.com it and see what your eating. Second you need to start a good weight routine such as WBB1, or BGB.

karben
07-11-2006, 03:36 PM
I made a mistake in saying I wanted to lose weight. I actually meant, now that I read your responses, to lose fat. So now I understand from what some have said that, yes I can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Is this right?

karben
07-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Byt the way, what is a WBB1 or BGB?

Unreal
07-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Can you, yes if everything is perfect, you have good genetics, but normally its quicker to cut/bulk in cycles instead of try to slowly recompose.

WBB1
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25&pageid=3

BGB
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1290214#post1290214

Read all the links in Built's sig for some good info.

Jordanbcool
07-11-2006, 04:49 PM
I think everythings covered. Good job guys.

OP if you have anymore questions do not hesitate to post in this thread.

-jordan

derrick
07-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Hi:
I am 43 and sort of played with weights off and on for years and only became serious 8 months ago. When I started I weighed 170lbs could barely bench 200 squat 300 or lift 200 off the floor. Now I can bench 325lbs squat 485 and deadlift 550. I weight 190 rock solid pounds. I have had people big guys come up to me in the gym and both compliment me and ask me how I made such progress.

Most of it comes from diet but doing the correct exercises plays in at about 50% of the success.I hooked up with a pro body builder who has been training me because he sees some great potential. I am going to compete in the worlds all natural masters in November in New York.

If you want muscle you are going to have to start lifting very heavy weights and be prepared to get and stay sore all the time. You must also consider your diet which should be very heavy with good quality protein...and realize you're probably going to have to eat 6-7 times a day at your body weight.

The thing is you really should have someone analyize where you are now and where you want to go and by when. By doing that a routine diet and short and long term goals can be established. My advice would be to seek out a pro body builder who is also trained as a personal trainer..budget a couple of grand for his time even if its just to get you down the right road. It's fine to ask questions on here but everyone's body is different and you and I don't have a whole lot of time to experiment. Trust me paying for the advice will get you there much faster and give you a much better foundation to build on then recieving conflicting information from forums like this.

Trust this helps?