PDA

View Full Version : Egg Whites....

Ammotroop
07-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Ok, someone SCHOOL me on this. When I eat eggs I normally just boil the damn thing and eat it all. Your saying that the HEALTHY thing to do is to eat the egg whites ONLY raw???? What is so bad about the Yolk? Is eatin it raw or Boiled that much difference? Thanks....

I had some Oats this morning for Breakfast. Do you guys ever add anything for flavor? I added a pinch of Cinnamon.

Mercuryblade
07-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Do you guys ever add anything for flavor? I added a pinch of Cinnamon

Put some sweetener in it, its the morning and you don't have to worry about spiking your insulin, brown sugar and cinnamon in plain oatmeal is fantastic.

Built
07-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Eat your whites cooked - raw can interfere somewhat with biotin absorption.

Nothing wrong with eating whole eggs - it's just the yolks have fat, where the whites don't. It only really matters for purposes of calorie control.

Ammotroop
07-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks Built!

DGabe24
07-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Dont have to may yolks though, they have some insane amount of cholesterol from what I have read, and the most you should really have is maybe 4 yolks at most. I could be wrong on this though :scratch:

Built
07-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Dietary cholesterol is a very small contributor to total blood lipids - we make most of our own cholesterol.

ddegroff
07-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Nitrean is awesome in oats.

Heat up the oats, mix in the Nitrean while it cools. SOOOO good.

MantiXX
07-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Sometimes part of my breakfast is, I'll poach 5 eggs (but only use 2 of the yokes).. get some of the fats/flavour, but get the 5 egg whites worth of Protein....

Just a thought...

Peace out....

hoser813
07-12-2006, 09:14 PM
i save my self some trouble and buy the egg beaters egg whites and scramble them.... and then i add those on top of some southern style hash browns and smother it with ketchup MMMMMMmmmm!!!

Con
07-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Hey I was wondering about 2 things:

-Built I thought the yolks hold some of the protein as well? And since we make most of our own cholesterol its ok to eat say....10 eggs to help with protein intake?

-And regarding the thing about insulin in the morning, does it really not matter if you use sweetener in the morning?

kad
07-16-2006, 09:04 PM
As far as I know, the whites have 3g of protein, the yolks have another 3g of protein. So 6g protein per egg overall (duh).

Stumprrp
07-17-2006, 08:39 PM
yeah USUALLY every morning my breakfast is 3 whole eggs, if i go out with my dad i order "4" eggwhites which looks like 1-2 cups. eggs are great!

Built
07-17-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm really not at all sure what a "safe" "upper limit" is to egg yolk consumption.

Hubby eats at least half a dozen whole eggs daily, and he's fine.

And the usda nutrient database (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/)is your friend :)

powerrack
07-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Nothing wrong with a few whole eggs a day. I have about 3-5 whole eggs a day. Breakfast doesn't feel like breakfast without some eggs.

Mercuryblade
07-18-2006, 06:21 PM
And regarding the thing about insulin in the morning, does it really not matter if you use sweetener in the morning?

Everybody is different, but just don't go overboard and you'll be fine. Putting a few teaspoons of sugar on your oatmeal after not eating for some 8 hours is most definately not going to spike your insulin.

Bruise Brubaker
07-25-2006, 09:41 PM
I regularly eat more than 12 raw yolks a day (omega 3 eggs), yolks are extremely healthy, and raw preserve all the good things in it, such as N-acetyl cysteine which is altered by heat, the cholesterol isn't oxidized, same thing for the EFAs. The other day I went up to 24 eggs! I love 'em.

I'll occasionally eat whole raw eggs when I lack time but it shouldn't be done all the time, and eating only the raw whites is sure to cause digestive problems and a biotin deficiency.

Boiled is probably the best cooking method because the fats are not exposed to air (thus they are not susceptible to oxidation) and because you can do it in a way that the yolk is not completely cooked.

ehscrewdude
07-25-2006, 11:25 PM
yeah USUALLY every morning my breakfast is 3 whole eggs, if i go out with my dad i order "4" eggwhites which looks like 1-2 cups. eggs are great!

I ended up cracking 6 eggs to get a cup of egg whites (with large grade a eggs)... lol... but yea, made 4 or 5 eggs this morning with 1 yolk... tasted the same as before for the most part....

i save my self some trouble and buy the egg beaters egg whites and scramble them.... and then i add those on top of some southern style hash browns and smother it with ketchup MMMMMMmmmm!!!

I love mixing it all up like that... and then mix in some meat into there.... turkey bacon and such.... o man thats dy-no-mite! haha....

Luke667
07-26-2006, 02:25 AM
I'm really not at all sure what a "safe" "upper limit" is to egg yolk consumption.

Hubby eats at least half a dozen whole eggs daily, and he's fine.

And the usda nutrient database (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/)is your friend :)

he must fart like a gorilla tho! :evillaugh

Built
07-26-2006, 03:19 AM
Haven't noticed.

???

Built
07-26-2006, 03:20 AM
Everybody is different, but just don't go overboard and you'll be fine. Putting a few teaspoons of sugar on your oatmeal after not eating for some 8 hours is most definately not going to spike your insulin.

Sure it will. For some, this is fine. For me, it would set me up for freakish hunger.

vile0ner
08-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Pateurized anyone.......