PDA

View Full Version : Question Does cardio make you lose muscle??

AlexTheBuilder
07-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Hey guys well I would search about this but for some reason the search for me isn't working. Anyways, Im trying to figure out if doing cardio before breakfast in the morning with make me lose muscle?? Im trying to gain as much muscle as possible but still obtain a six pack. My diet is in check, including carbs, proteins etc... Thnx!:confused:

Jordanbcool
07-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Hey guys well I would search about this but for some reason the search for me isn't working. Anyways, Im trying to figure out if doing cardio before breakfast in the morning with make me lose muscle?? Im trying to gain as much muscle as possible but still obtain a six pack. My diet is in check, including carbs, proteins etc... Thnx!:confused:

Depends on intensity and diet.

Sorry to sound vague but you need to give us more info.

AlexTheBuilder
07-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Well Im trying to burn fat so my question is what intensity cardio should I be doing, how long, and what time of the day should I be doing it??

Built
07-11-2006, 07:44 PM
You can't bulk and cut at the same time - the cardio won't accomplish what you think it will.

A six is a product of heavy lifting and sufficient caloric deficit to lean out - not of doing cardio while bulking.

Jordanbcool
07-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Well Im trying to burn fat so my question is what intensity cardio should I be doing, how long, and what time of the day should I be doing it??

Have a protein shake with water before doing an AM jog. However, that is the only thing you should eat before a morning jog is just a protein/fat source. It should also be liquid.

Diet is the key though. You will never see your six pack without diet.

Built
07-11-2006, 08:24 PM
And you don't NEED to do ANY cardio for it.

Jinkies
07-11-2006, 08:28 PM
If you want to be healthy you need some cardio, if your just wanting to look good its not needed.

No matter what your told you can't neglect your most important muscle, the heart.

Looking good and being in shape are completely different things.

ddegroff
07-11-2006, 08:33 PM
I hardly EVER do cardio. Maybe a bike ride here and there. Mostly just lift heavy weight. My resting HR is 57bpm.

Built
07-11-2006, 08:34 PM
They're not completely different - chances are that if you look healthy, you are, and if you look ill, you are.

A little bit of cardio is good for your heart. But you don't need much - a 20 minute walk a few days a week pretty much covers that.

Jinkies
07-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Mines around that same and I do little cardio aswell, heavy lifting strengthens the cardiovasular system aswell so its without a doubt better exercise then lifting. I see alot of real strong and real good looking people who couldnt run a mile if you asked them too, lets look at Ronnie Coleman, amazing but can he use his body for anything for looks?

Builts right as always, Im just trying to say that fearing cardio isnt the way to go. Ive heard stories of people who were afraid to do alot of walking due to fear of losing muscle; I can gain weight and run a mile a day. Its when you take it to the extreme it can be detremental

ddegroff
07-11-2006, 08:38 PM
If you want to be healthy you need some cardio, if your just wanting to look good its not needed.

No matter what your told you can't neglect your most important muscle, the heart.

Looking good and being in shape are completely different things.

Sorry missed the word in bold. I thought you just said "need cardio".

Built
07-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Jinkies, I agree with you. There's WAY too much panic about losing muscle from a little recreational cardio. If you're concerned about it, eat extra to allow for the expenditure. I go on long recreational bike rides from time to time - I just make sure to overeat on those days so I don't run a deficit.

Jinkies
07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Yeah, im just trying to be realistic; not everyone on this forum is a genetic beast and will ever reach the level we see people on tv and magazines. Most people on here with the exception of a few are trying to become healthy and look nice, cardio isnt going to prevent that.

AlexTheBuilder
07-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Well I just realized how close I am to getting my abs to show if I pull the skin down I can see them. So im looking to do just enough cardio so I can lose the layer of fat on them. heres the pic

TexasDevil
07-12-2006, 01:00 PM
they are saying cardio is not gonna bring out ur abs only a strict diet will

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Well I just realized how close I am to getting my abs to show if I pull the skin down I can see them. So im looking to do just enough cardio so I can lose the layer of fat on them. heres the picDid you read anyone's posts in here? :scratch:

Shobe
07-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Hey Built, check your PMs please.

dethfire
07-14-2006, 12:10 PM
i don't understand, most football/soccer players are completely ripped and obviously do a crap load of cardio

ShockBoxer
07-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Cardio will melt pounds off you. I burned off 20 pounds in two months going ape**** for 45 minutes at day on the eliptical before I started lifting. 200 to 180 in no time flat.

Given how feeble my starting lifts were last July in hindsight I have to wonder how much of that was actually fat.

MagnaSephiroth
07-14-2006, 04:31 PM
What about HIIT? When should you do it?

ddegroff
07-14-2006, 04:36 PM
^Post workout or on rest days. And probably would be wise to keep HIIT away from leg days, IMO.

Stray
07-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Well I just realized how close I am to getting my abs to show if I pull the skin down I can see them.

Well there ya go dude...skip the cardio and invest in a few clothes pins.

MagnaSephiroth
07-15-2006, 01:44 PM
What good are abs if the rest of your body is week or fatty? Just build your "body" up. Let the transformation take place completely, not in select areas.