PDA

View Full Version : calories eaten vs. calories burned

swimr4life
07-11-2006, 08:37 PM
i started my fit day page and it says that i have been burning more calories than i have been eating is this bad or am i ok where i am at

ddegroff
07-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Don't really pay attention to that.

What are your goals?

Are the cals your consuming making you gain, lose or maintain your weight?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Pay attention to your own progress. Ignore that calorie nonsense on FitDay.

MagnaSephiroth
07-12-2006, 12:15 AM
I wonder if for towards weight gain, if you eat your maintence calories, but lets say you eat them all 10 minuts before bed and nothing else the rest of the day. So if your maintenence is 2k, you eat 2k for the day right before bed... would you actually gain weight?

Im kind of worried, I was off my schedule today and I ate over 60% of my daily kcals after 6:00 PM.... I feel full now, and its pretty late. Is this all going to turn into fat? (by fat I mean will it become fat tissue) or is it just the same as if I ate the other way around, eating 60% of my kcals BEFORE 6:00

Con
07-12-2006, 05:36 AM
i get the same anxiety since I started work, but you gotta use logic, its all about the total calories and if you are gettin minimums. So dont worry about time, worry about macros.

Unreal
07-12-2006, 06:50 AM
So if your maintenence is 2k, you eat 2k for the day right before bed... would you actually gain weight?

No, because all you did was eat maintenence. If you ate over 2000 cals you would gain weight. If you ate under 2000 you would lose weight. Timing is good for many things, but overall it has little to no effect on the big picture. There was a study posted not long ago that showed overall weight loss between 1 meal a day and 6 meals a day was no different if calories and everything was identical.

MagnaSephiroth
07-12-2006, 11:13 AM
No, because all you did was eat maintenence. If you ate over 2000 cals you would gain weight. If you ate under 2000 you would lose weight. Timing is good for many things, but overall it has little to no effect on the big picture. There was a study posted not long ago that showed overall weight loss between 1 meal a day and 6 meals a day was no different if calories and everything was identical.

Interesting.. but does the food go to different places then? Since the body can only burn and use the nutrients so fast?

ddegroff
07-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Your body does most of its building while your sleeping. So a big meal right before is a GOOD thing. Just because your asleep doesn't mean your entire body is asleep, its still working (using energy).

Now i'm not saying that you'd be better off doing it this way, its just not a big deal. It's one day.

Unreal
07-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Interesting.. but does the food go to different places then? Since the body can only burn and use the nutrients so fast?

What do you mean different places? If you don't eat all day, your body will turn to other sources of fuel. Depending on tons of things, you'll burn glycogen, fat, and LBM to get through the day. When you eat your big meal, you will then replenish your glycogen, fat, and hopefully LBM if you burnt any.

MagnaSephiroth
07-12-2006, 04:52 PM
What do you mean different places? If you don't eat all day, your body will turn to other sources of fuel. Depending on tons of things, you'll burn glycogen, fat, and LBM to get through the day. When you eat your big meal, you will then replenish your glycogen, fat, and hopefully LBM if you burnt any.

So your body can take burnt LBM and rebuilt it just with the food you eat without working out?

Holto
07-12-2006, 05:08 PM
So your body can take burnt LBM and rebuilt it just with the food you eat without working out?

Yes, it happens daily.

To grow you merely need a net gain.

MagnaSephiroth
07-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Yes, it happens daily.

To grow you merely need a net gain.

So all this bullcrap about eatting at certain times of the day is untrue (except after workouts)? Eatting right before bed doesnt just turn it into fat?

MagnaSephiroth
07-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Now I was thinking, since its daily, just eat your maintence cals and you gain nothing lose nothing for that day no matter what time. Can you stretch this out to a week? If you eat 500 kcals under one day, each 500 more the next day. Can you stretch this out to a week? A month? Year? How about lifetime? I mean of course just doing it by day is much easier, I'm just curious.