PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroidism and diet

Fitzg
07-12-2006, 10:12 AM
I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism(it doesn't work), and the doctor is trying to get my medication level figured out, for awhile I was only eating 2000-2300 cals a day and gaining weight. Needless to say, metabolism is a little sluggish. I recently started a new job, in a sedentary office setting for 10 hours a day. I eat about every 2.5-3 hrs, and am currently getting 1900-2100 cals a day. I weigh about 243 lbs @ 5'11" and 19% BF. My BMR is about 2600. As for macros, I am limiting my fats (nuts, olive oil, avocado, dairy primarily) to about 15-20%, my protein to 50-65%, and my carbs between 20-30%, sometimes by feel energy wise, but I usually front load them to get energy for the day. My goal is to drop bodyfat while retaining my lean muscle mass(the holy grail of fitness goals), as I am a powerlifter who would like to drop a weight class(220's). I do cardio 3 times a week(relatively low/moderate intensity for general health and metabolic effects, typically at the end of my workouts, because I don't have time in the mornings. This has been a real struggle for me to maintain a diet effectively as last year at this time I weighed 226lb, but began to eat like a powerlifter, to gain a weight class. My ultimate goal is to drop to about 205-215 lbs, as I think I would be a house and lift in the 220lb class, at which point I could also have the option of bulking in a clean fashion as opposed to the way I have in the past. Hopefully once my medication is dialed in, my metabolism will increase a little to help me be more efficient in accomplishing this goal. What do you guys think is a good weight loss goal per week for a system like this, and if I notice that it is more drastic than that should I dial my intakes up to prevent muscle loss. What is a reasonable timeline for my goal providing that I am vigiliant in tracking my nutrients (my training has always been consistent and intense). Thanks in advance for any info.