PDA

View Full Version : need to loose 10-15 lbs without loosing muscle

rrich49132
07-12-2006, 04:22 PM
I need advice as I am a 37 yr old and very active as I hit weights 4 days a week and play tennis 3 days a week and think I have a good mix of cardio and strength training. I want to loose my belly fat as I have tried to diet and watch calories and when I do I loose strength at the gym and get pissed and can never stick with it. I really watch what I eat but it seems to not be good enough at the present time. Any suggestions?

Built
07-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Diet slow (read my cutting link), and lift heavy and short. Watch it with the cardio.

How do you lift now?

MagnaSephiroth
07-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Do one at a time. Cut, and if you do loose any muscle, gain it back. If you have the mindset, everything will be how you want it to be in the end :)

rrich49132
07-12-2006, 05:31 PM
I work out 4 days a week and start out with the same warm up each week with 5 sets of 20 push ups, then do 5 sets of 25 situps in a few different ways then do 5 sets of 10 triceps where is sit on the end of a bench and do dips with both hands on the seat. I am sure there is a more formal name for that but that is warm up and the rest is as follows:

Chest day
5 sets of 10 flat bench
5 sets of 10 dumbell press
5 sets of 10 incline dumbell press
5 sets of 10 incline bench
5 sets of 10 flys with on the pulle machine where i grap each handle with each hand
5 sets of 10 seated pushouts on the hammer strength machine
5 sets of 10 on the seated fly machine

I will choose 5 of these exercises rotating amongst the above where I always choose at least 3 power exercises from the list

arm day

5 sets of 10 curling bar
5 sets of 10 dumbell curls
5 sets of 10 on the bicep machine hammer strength
5 sets of 10 triced pushdowns
5 sets of 10 tricep extensions
5 sets of 10 dips

Shoulders
5 sets of 10 dumbell
5 sets of 10 on the smith machine of bar behind the neck
5 sets of 10 on the smith machine of bar in front of head
5 sets of 10 front shoulder raises with dumbells
5 sets of 10 upright row

back

5 sets of 10 pullups with weight assistance on the machine
5 sets of 10 on the pull down machine down to the front of the chest
5 sets of 10 on the pull down mahcine down in back of neck
5 sets of 10 on hammer strength of weight pulled back to chest
5 sets of 10 on row pull back machine

as far as diet goes

7:00 am yogurt and a 100 calorie spicey sausage
11:00 am usually a turkey sandwitch with cheese
1:00 pm usually a good amount of protein from the food bar at whole foods like chicken, beef, meatballs not a whole lot but all protein
3:00 pm fresh fruit that i purchase from whole foods
6:00 pm a prepared dinner from diet to go where me and gf get out dinner premaid portioned controlled with about 400 calories it varies with meat and some veggies

Built
07-12-2006, 06:21 PM
I've made some other comments below, but first and foremost:

WHERE IS YOUR LEG WORK?

I don't see squats, deads, RDLs, leg press, GHR, GMs, walking lunges

???

Is there some reason why you'd neglect this huge metabolic furnace?

I work out 4 days a week and start out with the same warm up each week with 5 sets of 20 push ups, then do 5 sets of 25 situps in a few different ways then do 5 sets of 10 triceps where is sit on the end of a bench and do dips with both hands on the seat. I am sure there is a more formal name for that but that is warm up and the rest is as follows:

Too much ab work, no need to warm up your tris, ditch the pushups.

Chest day
5 sets of 10 flat bench
5 sets of 10 dumbell press
5 sets of 10 incline dumbell press
5 sets of 10 incline bench
5 sets of 10 flys with on the pulle machine where i grap each handle with each hand
5 sets of 10 seated pushouts on the hammer strength machine
5 sets of 10 on the seated fly machine

I will choose 5 of these exercises rotating amongst the above where I always choose at least 3 power exercises from the list

25 sets of chest is silly.

arm day

5 sets of 10 curling bar
5 sets of 10 dumbell curls
5 sets of 10 on the bicep machine hammer strength
5 sets of 10 triced pushdowns
5 sets of 10 tricep extensions
5 sets of 10 dips

Arm day is beyond silly.

Shoulders
5 sets of 10 dumbell
5 sets of 10 on the smith machine of bar behind the neck
5 sets of 10 on the smith machine of bar in front of head
5 sets of 10 front shoulder raises with dumbells
5 sets of 10 upright row

So is "shoulder day". No behind the neck smiths. Ditto upright rows - too hard on RC, and there are better exercises than these for delt development.

back

5 sets of 10 pullups with weight assistance on the machine
5 sets of 10 on the pull down machine down to the front of the chest
5 sets of 10 on the pull down mahcine down in back of neck
5 sets of 10 on hammer strength of weight pulled back to chest
5 sets of 10 on row pull back machine

Ditch the behind the neck stuff, sub chins or pullups for the assisted ones. Do jump chins if you must. Assisted suck because you can't turn the assistance off the negatives.

I don't see any deadlifts.

as far as diet goes

7:00 am yogurt and a 100 calorie spicey sausage
11:00 am usually a turkey sandwitch with cheese
1:00 pm usually a good amount of protein from the food bar at whole foods like chicken, beef, meatballs not a whole lot but all protein
3:00 pm fresh fruit that i purchase from whole foods
6:00 pm a prepared dinner from diet to go where me and gf get out dinner premaid portioned controlled with about 400 calories it varies with meat and some veggies

I don't know what your total calories are, and 6PM until you wake up with no food is a LOOOONG time to go empty.

www.fitday.com

I want to see how your diet works out.

And read the cutting link in my sig to get some guidelines.

Meanwhile, read this: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=214rip2 and this: http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=3&a=8

And before you do that, you might consider starting here (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255) or here (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25) for a workout split.

How's that for a start?

Turnip
07-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Man I never get over how entertaining these posts are, I cant believe I used to be one of those people what was I thinking. :(

rrich49132
07-12-2006, 06:53 PM
thanks for the info. I am always stayed away from training very heavy as I did a few years back and was very strong as compared to my strength and was lifting heavy weights and taking tons of creatine and eating lots but had a look that I did not want in which I looked bloaded and just big which is why I have been working out with lighter weights and 10 reps. You really think if I add more weight and take my reps back that I can get a lean and ripped look and not big and meaty?

getfit
07-12-2006, 06:54 PM
what's taking tons of creatine for you? how much are you actually taking?

5g is all you need

Built
07-12-2006, 06:58 PM
thanks for the info. I am always stayed away from training very heavy as I did a few years back and was very strong as compared to my strength and was lifting heavy weights and taking tons of creatine and eating lots but had a look that I did not want in which I looked bloaded and just big which is why I have been working out with lighter weights and 10 reps. You really think if I add more weight and take my reps back that I can get a lean and ripped look and not big and meaty?

Well, let's put it another way:

You cut calories.

So you lose weight. You get smaller.

How, exactly, do you expect to get "big and meaty" on LESS calories, while LOSING weight?

rrich49132
07-12-2006, 07:03 PM
I dont recall how much I was taking but now I am taking twin labs creatine:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2133523&cp=2108320.2102405&parentPage=family

I am following the instructions and taking 6 pills after I workout.

MagnaSephiroth
07-12-2006, 07:03 PM

Personally, since I know nothing compared to most people here about weight training, I will follow a routine. I advise you to also. Way down the road I might make up my own routine to match my body, so it would be a personal routine, but that will be a long ways off when I no longer get gains from the routines around here.

rrich49132
07-12-2006, 07:04 PM
I dont know how to loose weight without giving up strength and calories?

getfit
07-12-2006, 07:05 PM
5g is all you need.Get some creatine monohydrate cheap as well.

Built
07-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Your creatine is very overpriced. Just get regular creatine monohydrate powder, take a teaspoon a day.

Gilles1975
07-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Christ, I do 6 sets of bicep curls (3 barbell and 3 hammer curls) and I thought that was a touch excessive, until I began reading this thread. Buddy, you're doing FIFTEEN sets for your biceps, you do realize this don't you?

rrich49132
07-12-2006, 07:11 PM
I do and have the biceps to prove it.

getfit
07-12-2006, 07:14 PM
i hardly do any bi work at all, with all the rows and pullups/chins my bi's are pretty good.I'm not a fan of direct arm work.

rrich49132
07-12-2006, 07:17 PM
well it appears that it does work for you as I can see your picture. I am really looking here for veterans that could mentor me and give me advice as you see my workout needs work as I have been doing this for a while and want to get more results in my body which means that I need a revamp of my diet and workout.

getfit
07-12-2006, 07:19 PM
stick around, you'll learn alot from WBB :)

MagnaSephiroth
07-12-2006, 07:29 PM
I do and have the biceps to prove it.

I think your arms would be a lot stronger (not bigger, but stronger) if you cut down on the sets.

Built
07-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Don't kid yourself - they might be bigger, too. Biceps are not big muscles - they're easy to overtrain.

Turnip
07-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Your biceps grow in proportion, if your whole body gets larger your biceps will follow. Might be easier to understand some of the above points that way unless someone already said it.

rrich49132
07-12-2006, 07:45 PM
That makes sense. I will be revamping my workouts when I am back from Mexico as I am going on vacation 7/19-7/29 to Cabo. I have received lots of good stuff here and appreciate everyones input and will see how things go over the month of August as I am dropping lots of exercises and adding legs and lower reps and lots more weight.