PDA

View Full Version : GM's - form good? bad?, let me know.

HeavyBomber
07-12-2006, 10:45 PM
7/12/06

Good Mornings:
435x1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gc82tVaytA
465x1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-_LC2PMmE
500x1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azR_rN_RT5I

Pull-thrus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkHglSPR9dQ
TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF MY GM FORM. Am I going deep enough? Am I bending to much at the knee. Give me some criticism on those. Pull throughs too.

Built
07-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I only watched the first vid for GMs, but your form looked impeccable to me.

Thanks for the vid of the pull-thrus - Ima try them next time.

Keith
07-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you suppose to keep your hips stationary and bend from there.
Your hips move straight back allowing your legs to bend along with them, dont think this is right.

SkinnySadMan
07-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Hmmm I stick my ass out, and aswell as getting that hamstring stretch when doing Good mornings.

The form looks good I think (and holy crap what am I here to say anything...I can't even deadlift close to 435), but.. uuuhhh... perhaps try and get your videos to play without having to tilt my head to the side? :)

HeavyBomber
07-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you suppose to keep your hips stationary and bend from there.
Your hips move straight back allowing your legs to bend along with them, dont think this is right.

I have always been taught that the bar should travel in a straight up and down path. This dictates that the hips must move toward the rear. Moving the hips backward activates the glutes making them the primary mover.
But yeah, thanks for the feedback, keep it coming :)

HeavyBomber
07-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Hmmm I stick my ass out, and aswell as getting that hamstring stretch when doing Good mornings.

The form looks good I think (and holy crap what am I here to say anything...I can't even deadlift close to 435), but.. uuuhhh... perhaps try and get your videos to play without having to tilt my head to the side? :)

Please don't keep the numbers keep you from replying. Just because my weight capacity may be more doesn't mean I know more than you. I value your opinion and comments along with so many others here.
lol -Sorry about the sideways videos. I need to get on the ball and make or purchase a stand. Thanks dude.

HeavyBomber
07-12-2006, 11:34 PM
I only watched the first vid for GMs, but your form looked impeccable to me.

Thanks for the vid of the pull-thrus - Ima try them next time.

Thanks Built. You should start doing pull-throughs. I just wish I were there to coach you on them ;)
Seriously, they are invaluable. I always like to take a really wide stance and do some forced stretches at the end of the workout too.

Hey, did you notice the dude behind me? It looks like he's kind of making fun of me to his buddy - you think so? They are kind of gay looking:hump:

KevinStarke
07-12-2006, 11:36 PM
The form was fine, your supposed to push back with your ass and have the bar travel in as straight a line as possible, good stuff big guy.

Keith
07-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Wow, that caught me off by surprise. Keep the bar travelling in as straight a line as possible throughout the movement?
Anyone else agree to this?

Built
07-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks Built. You should start doing pull-throughs. I just wish I were there to coach you on them ;)
Seriously, they are invaluable. I always like to take a really wide stance and do some forced stretches at the end of the workout too.

Hey, did you notice the dude behind me? It looks like he's kind of making fun of me to his buddy - you think so? They are kind of gay looking:hump:

Just watched the other two vids - you look strong as hell, and THICK! Wow!

Yeah, the skinny guys, laughing at YOU.

I love it. ;)

gains2385
07-13-2006, 12:01 AM

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Ofcourse, when I saw that vid, I was thinking about how bad it would be to be on the receiving end of that move, if you know what I mean :hump:

HeavyBomber
07-13-2006, 12:22 AM
I was kind of thinking the same thing. Ofcourse, when I saw that vid, I was thinking about how bad it would be to be on the receiving end of that move, if you know what I mean :hump:

LOL:D

Maybe I should have not posted that vid... LOL

Sensei
07-13-2006, 01:13 AM
Great form and like I said in your log, really strong! I try to go a little lower when I do my GMs (granted, I don't think I've ever done much more than 315...): http://media.putfile.com/GMs--Windmills

Nosaj
07-13-2006, 01:59 AM
Personally, I can't imagine doing the form Sensei uses with 500lbs, not to say that it's poor form at all, I just can't imagine doing that much weight with that kind of depth. HB, your form doesn't deteriorate at ALL with the increase in weight, and you're pushing 400-500+lbs. Your strength is inspiring and your form is great. Everyone is going to have their preference on how to do a lift, some dead sumo, some conventional, and tons of assortments between the two. Your GM's looks great, and I rewatched the videos to notice the bar moving in an up and down motion, and I don't think I hydraulic robot could do any better of a job than you did. :thumbup:

Oh, and about the d-bag laughing at your pull throughs. If you see him in the gym again, simply tell him if he doesn't want his girlfriend knowing what a #(amount of weight you were lifting) pull-through feels like he better keep his skinny ass opinions to himself. :)

getfit
07-13-2006, 03:03 AM
HB, looking real solid great vids.

Stumprrp
07-13-2006, 04:50 AM
that form looks great to me and 500 x 1 is sick.

Sensei
07-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Personally, I can't imagine doing the form Sensei uses with 500lbs, not to say that it's poor form at all, I just can't imagine doing that much weight with that kind of depth.
Well, Brent Mikesell does...

drew
07-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Wow, that caught me off by surprise. Keep the bar travelling in as straight a line as possible throughout the movement?
Anyone else agree to this?
The bar should stay in a straight line when doing a GM. Hips forced back like the start of a squat, knees slightly bent and the bar should stay ahead of the knees at the bottom.

kad
07-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Wow, thanks for posting those vids. I've been looking for a vid with correct GM form for a while now.

Keith
07-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Wow, thanks for posting those vids. I've been looking for a vid with correct GM form for a while now.

I second that.

I was doing them all wrong this whole time and yet felt it huge on my hams and lower back. Cant wait to feel the burn doing them correctly! ;)

ShockBoxer
07-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Heh. Yeah, I've been messing them up too.

bjohnso
07-26-2006, 07:37 PM
What vid are these kids making fun of you in?

Stand on their toes and pop their heads off like dandylions!

Patz
07-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Great form and like I said in your log, really strong! I try to go a little lower when I do my GMs (granted, I don't think I've ever done much more than 315...): http://media.putfile.com/GMs--Windmills

Sensei, I SWEAR those look just like Adidas sandals! I forgot to check your reply when we discussed this before..lol

Sensei's form looks more like mine than HB's. I tend to be a little more pronounced like that.

Patz
07-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Sensei, I SWEAR those look just like Adidas sandals! I forgot to check your reply when we discussed this before..lol

Sensei's form looks more like mine than HB's. I tend to be a little more pronounced like that.

LOL..sorry, Sensei. I just went and found your reply back on page 4! That's what I thought was sandals. From far away, the front gives that impression..lol

:bow: