PDA

View Full Version : Makeshift lifting for a broke SOB.

Mad Max
07-13-2006, 10:15 AM
I've been back for the summer from uni' for four weeks now, and have had no joy with respect to finding a job. I had one set up for me four weeks ago, but alas I sprained my ankle and could not therefore make it in for the first week. Of course they found a replacement

So I have no money, and will therefore have to make do with what I have at home, which isn't so bad.

I have:

1 x Barbell
Weights going up to about 70-80kg (160lbs)
1 x ruck sack
1 x Chinup bar (I feel truly blessed to have this)
Many chairs that I can use for dips and weighted push ups
Sh*t loads of crap food that isn't very calorie dense, like dried fruit and salad
About 100g of Whey left
1 x Mum that doesn't like body building

Not the most ideal situation for optimal weight training.
My upper body is sorted though:

Standing millies
Dips
Chins
Weighted Push ups (Haven't really read about these anywhere. Basically I put weight on my back in a ruck sack, then I do pushups suspended between two chairs with my feet on a third chair, this gives a greater range of motion. It seems to be working my chest harder than bench ever did, so I guess they're not bad.)

I can't millitary press more than about 150lb for reps anyway, so those weights should suffice, and if they don't I can just tie stones to the bar or something to increase the weight.

Dips and chins can be weighted with the ruck sack.

The advantage of this is that I can implement higher frequency training, for my trouble areas, shoulders mostly.

The downside is that I can't do anything for the legs other than lunges, for which I have sufficient weight for.

I suppose I could make one gym trip a week, I'll sell homemade lemonade or something to raise the 4.30 entry fee. I'll still need 3.00 for travel though, maybe I could hitch hike. I woudl do squats and stiff legged deads.

If I couldn't make it once a week would lunges three times a week be sufficient. I mean lunges can be pretty hardcore. Also if I could make it to the gym once a week, would squatting once a week be sufficien for progress in that exercise.

I'm still looking for a job, and will hopefully have one soon. Even when I do have one, I will have to save as much money as possible so probably wont go to the gym more than once a week.

Anyway this journal promises to be very excellent.

Weight: 190-200lb
Height: 6' 4"
BF: 13 %

Max Bench: 275 x 1
Max Squat: 275 x 5 bellow parrallel
Max Dead: Untested, but probably 405lb with a belt

None of that matters for the summer though.

Just finished a workout:

Weighted pushups
1 x 5 (BW)
1 x 5 (BW +45)
1 x 10 (BW + 70)
1 x 10 (BW + 70)
1 x 8 (BW + 70)
1 x 6 (BW + 45)
1 x 6 (BW)

Dips

4 x 8 (BW)

Have never really done dips so I wasn't particularly strong, plus I was pretty gassed from the weighted pushups. They felt good though, really hit my triceps.

I've hardly eaten today, I better hop to it.

drew
07-13-2006, 10:20 AM
:spam:

Mad Max
07-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Are you suggesting that I eat spam, or that my journal is spam?

drew
07-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Well, you should eat spam, plus I'm spamming your journal. :D

Looking forward to seeing your broke-ass progress.

Mad Max
07-14-2006, 03:59 AM
Spam to eat? I should be so lucky.

Mad Max
07-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Just finished my leg workout. I'm a little disappointed actually. I did walking barbell lunges up and down the length of my garden:

Some warm up stuff

135lbs x 18 lunges
135lbs x 17 lunges
135lbs x 18 lunges
135lbs x 20 lunges
135lbs x 21 lunges

Does anyone have any idea what sort of weight I should be using for walking lunges, bearing in mind I do ATF squats with 225lbs?

They felt ok I guess, I began to feel naseous at the end of the first set, which is quite a good sign I suppose. But ultimately I think the reps were too high.

Well I should be able to make it to the gym once every five days, so I'll concentrate on squats and light deads when I do go. These lunges were just a filler till the next time I make it to the gym.

Diet:

4 eggs + 2 pitta breads.
PB and jam in Pitta bread.

= about 1500 cals
2000 cals to go for the day

Goal: about 3500 cals. This is low because I'm doing nothing but sitting on my ass watching tv and reading all day.

I have finally got a job though. Start tomorrow, manual labouring.

I need to improve the presentation of my journal I think.

Bob
07-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Dang funny journal Mad Max...

Those lunges are pretty decent.. If you were going all the way down, I'm surprised your ATF squat is only 225

I still wouldn't do them 3 times a week...
If you can get to the gym once a week, I would only do this at home Leg workout one more time a week...
Remember.. there are a lot of folks on WBB that only work legs once a week..
I myself work them out about once every 5 days.. alternating between heavy and light workouts.

Good luck.. hope you can find some spare coins around..

McVein
07-14-2006, 02:39 PM
how can there be no work at all...youre just being picky....theres always work

Mad Max
07-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Bearwolf:
The lunges have given me some serious ass doms today so I guess they're working. I'm not very good at ATF squats, I don't really know what my max parallel squat is, possibly 315 with a belt. But I guess the lunges were pretty strong. Thanks for the input though, gym once every five days should be ok I guess.

Mcvein:
I really appreciate the input, thanks. You've clearly taken the time to evaluate my current situation fully, your final assessment that I am 'too picky' is spot on. I'm so picky in fact that the only job that was good for me in the end was a 6 day a week labouring job at minimum wage.

Picked up some chairs that the neighbour was throwing out yesterday. I'll use these instead of our ones. If I ended up breaking our own chairs, then my mum would never forgive me: Not only is body building a chauvinistic waste of time, but it's also harmful to home furnishing.

McVein
07-15-2006, 09:12 AM
Mcvein:
I really appreciate the input, thanks. You've clearly taken the time to evaluate my current situation fully, your final assessment that I am 'too picky' is spot on. I'm so picky in fact that the only job that was good for me in the end was a 6 day a week labouring job at minimum wage.

i didnt mean it like that...i just mean there is no such thing as no work, i didnt evaluate your situation, because id have to know it first

Mad Max
07-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Mcvein: Fair enough, although finding a job can be pretty damn hard. It's not like the good old days where you can just approcah a bunch of guys bulidng a house and ask them if they need a hand. Everywhere wants health and safety checks that take months to process, at least 2 years experience or for you to be registered with an agency. Just yesterday I got sent home from a building site, because I didn't have sufficient health and safety clearance. Anyway if all goes to plan I should have a job in Europe's biggest library, which should be pretty good. In the mean time back to high frequency makeshift training.

Today:

Standing millies:

115lbs x 6
140lbs x 6
140lbs x 5
140lbs x 4
140lbs x 4

Disappointed with these since I managed to get 170lbs for a double the wother week.

Weighted pushups between chairs for increased ROM:

BW x 10
BW+45lbs x 7
BW+70lbs x 7
BW+70lbs x 7
BW+70lbs x 7
BW+70lbs x 7
BW x 10

Getting the hang of these. I'll get an idea of what I should be aiming for with a 5 x 5 soon enough.

Ok workout I suppose. I should be able to MP my own BW within a month or so which will be good.

Diet has been poor though. I've been getting in under 150g of protein each day, usually around 100g or so. I am so sick of eatin PB, especially in the heat we are experiencing here.

Mad Max
07-20-2006, 05:19 AM
Yesterday:

Walking lunges:

BW x 12 lunges
115 x 14
135 x 16
135 x 16
135 x 16

Narrow lunges:
115 x 12
115 x 12

I thought I'd give front squats a go. I was obviously unable to use the cosack style, as I had to clean the weight up, so I used that stance which isn't the most ideal. I also only had 135lbs:

135lbs x 8
135lbs x 8

Pretty easy. What sort of weight should I be aiming for bearing in mind I can probably squat nearly 315lbs?

Also any ideas how I can emphasize the quads with the equipment I have listed in the first post.

Mad Max
07-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Did a quick and relatively light workout today:

Standing MP:

135lbs x 7
115lbs x 8
115lbs x 8

Weighted pushups between two chairs for increased ROM:

BW+45 x 12 x 3

Pull ups palms facing away:

BW x 12
BW x 10
BW x 8

Given the high frequency of my training I don't want to push myself too hard, as you can see.
Diet has picked up somewhat over the past few days. The whey has almost run out though.