PDA

View Full Version : Arch w/ Incline/Decline Bench?

jampsifit
07-13-2006, 05:34 PM
hey whats up people? I was just wondering, is the arch applicable with an incline/decline bench or just mainly useful for the flat bench? Also would there be a benefit for doing it incline or decline? And lastly, for the incline/decline how much degree's would be best for this? Im thinking less than 45....but i think crazy sumtimes so i'd just like to varify it would sum knowledgable folks beforehand. Thanx a lot, lata.....

Fitzg
07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Although you don't necessarily have to use an arch, a slight one shortens your stroke, besides on a slanted bench it would be tough to maintain a good one. That being said, if you pinch your shoulders back in order to help stabilize the weight and activate the lats for the lowering phase, I think you will discover that your lifts will go up and be more smooth.

BigCorey75
07-14-2006, 07:59 PM
ive leanred to use an arch on the incline, the arch allows me to get better leverage and lift more weight also allows me to have more stability by forcing the arch in the lowr back, ive gotten so used to it , it feels unnatural any other way

as far as decline there is really no arch since the bench already mimcs the degree of the arch i just make sure my shoudlers are pinched together

the proper angle for incline and decline is about 30 degrees from the paralell thats the optimal position, most benhces in gyms are set correctly, althought i se alot of people doing incline benches too high and declines too low, might as well do dips

jampsifit
07-15-2006, 01:13 AM
thanx a lot u guys.

Earlier today i actually tried a short/small arch and it helped a little bit, nothing too dramatic though. I'll try pinching my shoulders next time.

p.s. thanx for the degrees comment, i see a lot doing 45 degrees and started wondering for a while...

Bigwhitemale
07-30-2006, 12:26 AM
In my opinion, you have to arch your back as much as you can, it's a great way to expand the pectoral muscles, forcing them into growth. Do it in every benching lift, incline, flat and decline. Make sure you have a strong lower back, just so that you don't get hurt.:ninja:

Natetaco
07-30-2006, 08:50 AM
In my opinion, you have to arch your back as much as you can, it's a great way to expand the pectoral muscles, forcing them into growth. Do it in every benching lift, incline, flat and decline. Make sure you have a strong lower back, just so that you don't get hurt.:ninja:

You dont have to arch your back as much as you can, I think that can actually be dangerous for inclines. And how does it expand the pecs? It doesnt

Bigwhitemale
08-08-2006, 01:36 AM
You dont have to arch your back as much as you can, I think that can actually be dangerous for inclines. And how does it expand the pecs? It doesnt
Hey, it works for me, and I have some major pecs, broad, wide huge pectoral muscles. Consult your physician before you do any exercise.

Guido
08-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Arching on decline would be awkward. I always arch on incline, as with flat bench.