PDA

View Full Version : Cutting - is this too much activity and too few calories?

Hangul
07-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Pertinent info:

I'm 5'7", 199 lbs.

Diet
2450 calories/day
1-1.5g protein/per lb of bodyweight.
fat grams 85 - 100 per day.

Activity

Monday

Morning - Tabata intervals (HIIT)
Evening - WBB#1 (Chest, Back)

Tuesday

Morning - Steady state cardio 40 minutes on empty stomach

Wednesday

Evening - WBB#1 (Quads, Hams, Calves, Abs)
Post Workout - Steady state cardio 20 minutes

Thursday

Friday

Morning - Tabata intervals (HIIT)
Evening - WBB#1 (Delts, Triceps, Biceps)

Saturday

Sunday

Off

So what I need to know is, am I doing too much for the calories that I'm consuming?

Let me know if you need more info from me?

Hangul

Jordanbcool
07-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Cut out atleast 1-2 days of cardio. Way to much..

Hangul
07-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the reply, should I cut out the steady state cardio or HIIT?

Hangul

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Why are you doing 40 minutes of cardio on an empty stomach? Trying to have a stroke?

RedSpikeyThing
07-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Cut out all of the steady state cardio. It's been proven that HIIT is more effective at retaining muscle mass than "regular" cardio.

Metro
07-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Empty stomach....brave soul. At least maybe a quick protein shake with water and some caffeine?

Hangul
07-14-2006, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the replies - so can anyone recommend me a cardo schedule?

I am currently doing WBB#1, M/W/F evening (after 3:30 pm).

Hangul

KingWilder
07-14-2006, 05:53 AM
maybe do HIIT on tuesday and thursday (20 min. sessions) and take the weekend off for recovery

Hangul
07-14-2006, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the reply KingWilder.

Okay 20 minute HIIT sessions - what do you recommend? I can't sprint, I have bad knees. I have done tabata intervals with the elliptical, db thrusters, and heavybag - but that's 20 seconds on 10 seconds off - I'm not sure I can handle 20 minutes of that.

Does the 20 minutes include warm-up and cool-down?

Hangul

KingWilder
07-14-2006, 06:11 AM
yes it includes warmup/down

try 2-3 min warm up, 15 mins HIIT, 2-3mins cool down (sprint 10-15 sec, med. speed 40-45sec)

how about biking?

Hangul
07-14-2006, 06:58 AM
With the intervals you listed above I think I can handle 20 minutes.

Are the following exercises okay for HIIT?

Elliptical
Bike (Does stationary or real bike matter)
Heavy Bag
DB Thrusters
Bodyweight squats

Do you have any other suggestions besides biking?

Thanks,

Hangul

Anthony
07-14-2006, 07:11 AM
I would cut out the steady state cardio and separate your HIIT from your lifting. So 3 lift days, 2 sprint days.

Also, there's no problem with sticking to the tabata intervals (20/10, 4 minutes total).

Elliptical - complete **** for intervals
Bike - some stationaries are okay (you'll have to test them to find a good one, most are crap), but a road bike would be best.
Heavy Bag - yes
DB Thrusters - yes
Bodyweight squats - if you're only doing one exercise (versus 4-5), do front squats and add weight.

Other suggestions:

Sprint on a track. NOT a treadmill.

Hangul
07-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Hey Anthony thanks for the advice.

Now just to clear one thing up, when you say sprints you mean any kind of HIIT training, right?

*Edit*

You answered my questions with your edit.

I can't find a track and I never sprint on treadmills. I've tried grass, but like I said the sprinting is hard on my knees, maybe after I lose a little weight it'll get easier, I dunno.

So I can do a Tabata intervals with front squats for a total of 4 minutes with 8 intervals and that will be okay?

Hangul

Anthony
07-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Sorry, I meant running sprints on a track.

Hangul
07-14-2006, 07:35 AM
I would cut out the steady state cardio and separate your HIIT from your lifting. So 3 lift days, 2 sprint days.

Also, there's no problem with sticking to the tabata intervals (20/10, 4 minutes total).

Elliptical - complete **** for intervals
Bike - some stationaries are okay (you'll have to test them to find a good one, most are crap), but a road bike would be best.
Heavy Bag - yes
DB Thrusters - yes
Bodyweight squats - if you're only doing one exercise (versus 4-5), do front squats and add weight.

Other suggestions:

Sprint on a track. NOT a treadmill.

Could you clarify the bolded part?

Hangul

Anthony
07-14-2006, 07:46 AM
If you're doing tabata hiit with body weight squats (I assume you mean just your body and no extra weight), then 4 minutes isn't really enough. So you could increase sets ... or better yet ... increase the weight. Front squats work best as they are easier to start/stop for the 20 second work, 10 second rest protocol.

OR you could do "tabata this." Do a search and you should find it, if not, let me know.

Hangul
07-14-2006, 08:04 AM
I guess my Google-Fu is weak, I can't find anything specific to the Tabata This routine, I know it's a CrossFit routine, I just can't find the routine itself.

Can you lend me a hand Anthony?

Hangul

Anthony
07-14-2006, 08:07 AM
From their website:

Tabata Intervals ( 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest repeated 8 times) is applied in turn to the Squat, Rower, Pullups, Sit-ups, and Push-ups with a one minute rotation break between exercises. Each exercise is scored by the weakest number of reps (calories on the rower) in each of the eight intervals. During the one minute rotation time allowed the clock is not stopped but kept running. The score is the total of the scores from the five stations.

Some performance insights and a scoring example from Mark Twight:

1) Lying down between exercises lowers HR faster than standing, sitting or walking, indicating better recovery in the short 60 second rest.
2) Alternating upright exercise (squat, pull-up) with prone or seated exercises produces lower heart rates, and allows greater overall level of work
3) Rowing first reduces reps on all other exercises
4) Rowing reps are not seriously affected if done last
5) Improvement happens really fast when the workout is done consistently (bimonthly).

High number of reps may be maintained for greater number of sets as fitness improves. Rep totals do not necessarily improve per set, but now I can do 6 sets of 7 pull-ups rather than doing 11, 8, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, etc. which suggests that local area endurance and lactic acid tolerance improve with this protocol.

Scoring Example:
A total score of 53 (Execllent score, BTW) is determined by adding up the lowest number of reps in any set of each exercise.
18 squats
4 pull-up
6 push-up
13 sit-up
12 row (use the calorie counter and call each calorie a rep)
This score is a 53.

Hangul
07-14-2006, 09:37 AM
Okay, so how often can I do the Tabata This routine? Twice a week? Once a week with a traditional HIIT session thrown in on the other day?

Thanks,

Hangul

Hangul
07-16-2006, 01:54 PM
bump

Anthony
07-17-2006, 05:47 AM
5) Improvement happens really fast when the workout is done consistently (bimonthly).

:study:

Hangul
07-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Sorry Anthony, I'm a noob to the HIIT routines, but wow, only twice a month?

I'll give it a try, once a week every other week and I guess 10-15 on/40-45 off regular HIIT on the other days.

Sound okay?

Hangul

Anthony
07-18-2006, 12:30 PM
That particular implementation of HIIT only needs to be done once in awhile to improve. 24 minutes is a pretty long time and will wear you down physically and mentally. You'll need someone to time you in order to do it properly. It's very very important you don't rest longer than 10 seconds between intervals.

But that doesn't mean you can't use other forms of HIIT on a more regular basis. Just keep them short and sweet so you don't run yourself into the ground.